Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2023, 05:41 AM   #1
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Color Kindle

I really wish Amazon would release a color Kindle. A larger size, like the Oasis or Scribe.

Or just give word that they are even working on one.

I realize that this may not be a popular subject; but I would really like one. I realize the tablet thing ... or the e-ink isn't really designed for it thing ... Yeah, I get it.

Still want one though.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:21 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
They sell the Fire in different sizes for colour.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
gunnm
Connoisseur
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
But besides comics what could amazon get from that? Their strategy is selling this devices at cost production and get money from the services. I hear they recently purchased comixology but they are doing nothing with it. Also, why do you want a color device from Amazon? It will be very simple, you could do 2 or 3 things and that's it. If you really want a color eink why not those devices that are already out?
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:35 AM   #4
Holdwink
Holdwink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnm View Post
But besides comics what could amazon get from that? Their strategy is selling this devices at cost production and get money from the services. I hear they recently purchased comixology but they are doing nothing with it. Also, why do you want a color device from Amazon? It will be very simple, you could do 2 or 3 things and that's it. If you really want a color eink why not those devices that are already out?
Magazines. You know.., colored pictures. Like Car and Driver (or Playboy).
Holdwink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:51 AM   #5
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdwink View Post
No. And now I wish I'd never said anything. I hadn't even thought of that.
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #6
gunnm
Connoisseur
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
Quote:
What I mean is if amazon already has that service. I don't see that here in Europe.
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Colour eink is inherently rubbish for that. Physics.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
Azbarhael
Azbarhael began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis Kindle
I think that for comic, magazine (of course, Playboy the first) would be a very interesting device.
Azbarhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 11:53 PM   #9
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
The Onyx Boox Tab Ultra C has received favourable reviews from many e-ink youtubers. But the reason at least partly seems to be that it has a dedicated GPU to reduce ghosting. It uses a lot of resources just to be usable.

And even then the drawbacks are clear to see: subdued colours and a really dark screen - it needs the frontlight at 50% in indoor conditions just to be usable. And the battery drain seems to be massive.

I don't see how Amazon could utilize this technology with the hardware they use for the Scribe, for instance. There'd be too much ghosting and the screen would be too dark.

Maybe they'll do it in 10 years if there's a usable Gallery 3 technology by then.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, eink, kindle, oasis, scribe