Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-29-2022, 06:34 AM   #16
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
am in again did pretty well this year, still bought more than i read but hey ho thats the struggle of a bibliophile
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve decided to give up on fixed goals for 2023 as I’ve done so poorly with them in recent years, but just identify areas of interest and track my reading. My only set goal is the MR/StoryGraph challenge.

I was tempted to do a goal of one Victorian novel a month, but I know the more goals I have, the less likely I am to hit any, so I’ll just try to keep it in mind.

My real goal is to read a lot less junk and while I suppose I could set a limit each month on how much trash I can read it strikes me as awfully negative. So I’m just going to try to focus on what really interests me and see how it goes. It just occurred to me - perhaps at the four-month or six-month mark I could do an assessment.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2022, 07:48 PM   #18
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’ve decided to give up on fixed goals for 2023 as I’ve done so poorly with them in recent years, but just identify areas of interest and track my reading. My only set goal is the MR/StoryGraph challenge.

I was tempted to do a goal of one Victorian novel a month, but I know the more goals I have, the less likely I am to hit any, so I’ll just try to keep it in mind.

My real goal is to read a lot less junk and while I suppose I could set a limit each month on how much trash I can read it strikes me as awfully negative. So I’m just going to try to focus on what really interests me and see how it goes. It just occurred to me - perhaps at the four-month or six-month mark I could do an assessment.
I tried make sure I didn't add any trash to the SG challenge for myself for just that reason. I was disappointed when half of my top 10 this year were re-reads.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #19
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I ended up doing mostly comfort reading and rereads last year - I’m not sure setting goals helped or hindered me quite honestly. I tend to read people in batches - so, one year I will read everything I can by Patricia Highsmith, Graham Greene or Iris Murdoch, for instance, then I will need a break from them for a few years. After which I will reread all their books again avidly. I don’t know if that really fits with monitoring my reading, although it has been interesting to review the books I read last year on the 2022 thread. It's interesting to me to see how many I have zero recollection of also. Particularly the modern 'thrillers' (not thrilling ).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #20
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I ended up doing mostly comfort reading and rereads last year - I’m not sure setting goals helped or hindered me quite honestly. I tend to read people in batches - so, one year I will read everything I can by Patricia Highsmith, Graham Greene or Iris Murdoch, for instance, then I will need a break from them for a few years. After which I will reread all their books again avidly. I don’t know if that really fits with monitoring my reading, although it has been interesting to review the books I read last year on the 2022 thread. It's interesting to me to see how many I have zero recollection of also. Particularly the modern 'thrillers' (not thrilling ).
I did over 30% re-reads, which is high for me even as a big re-reader

I sometimes will do batch reading of authors, but really mine is when I get hooked on series by an author - I re-read a lot by Patricia Briggs this year as an example. Probably where a lot of those re-reads come from
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2023, 10:19 AM   #21
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I ended up doing mostly comfort reading and rereads last year
Comfort reads are always a good thing. I found with paper books, I only reread about 20% ever, but there was a core group that were reread every few years. It's those books that I also upgraded to ebooks since I can no longer read the paper copies. My Mom claimed she was never a rereader, but yet she does like to reread historical fiction that she read back in the 80s and 90s, so a lot of my funds have gone into getting some of those collections into ebook as we ditched all the novels already.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:07 PM   #22
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Comfort reads are always a good thing. I found with paper books, I only reread about 20% ever, but there was a core group that were reread every few years. It's those books that I also upgraded to ebooks since I can no longer read the paper copies. My Mom claimed she was never a rereader, but yet she does like to reread historical fiction that she read back in the 80s and 90s, so a lot of my funds have gone into getting some of those collections into ebook as we ditched all the novels already.
Well, I’ve decided I will do the reading challenge again after all. But I will just be recording what I read, for interest. No goals as such. Except reading some French and Spanish books in among the English. I’m not going to beat myself up for comfort reading, or rereading.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:10 PM   #23
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I did over 30% re-reads, which is high for me even as a big re-reader

I sometimes will do batch reading of authors, but really mine is when I get hooked on series by an author - I re-read a lot by Patricia Briggs this year as an example. Probably where a lot of those re-reads come from
I haven’t worked out my percentage of rereads, but I suspect it is more like 50%. I will be rereading a lot of Graham Greene this year, I think, as I bought a lot of omnibus editions of his books for my kindle recently. (He has gone from being completely unavailable on ebooks, to having loads of ebooks suddenly available very cheaply!).

Some of my rereads are triple or quadruple rereads.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have a bunch of books that I've reread many, many times but I've read very few multiple times in the last 10 or so years. Most of the rereads recently have been books I haven't read since the 80s or 90s.

Overall, a little less than 20% of what I read is a reread. Last year it was 33% though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:09 PM   #25
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
We need a thread on books not recommended lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 05:38 PM   #26
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
We need a thread on books not recommended lol
We've got this one, is it close enough?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348999
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:08 AM   #27
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. Really not a subject matter I care about(gaming) but it is a good book regardless. its more about the characters relationships. I am about 70% in.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:09 PM   #28
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
So far my reading has been going fun and strong this year with 9 finished. I did two quickie audios of Perry Mason, which I greatly enjoy, some Valancourt classics - I highly recommend Devil in the Darkness, semi on The Cook by Harry Kressing. I started the year with some romance The Haunted Heart by Josh Lanyon (very good, need the sequel) and a sequel I'd been waiting on Cat's Chance in Hell by Meghan Maslow - didn't enjoy the sequl as much as the first in the series, but both good. Continuing the semi cozy mystery series with Blanch by Barbara Neely - finished the second, Blanch among the talented ten, and reading the third now. I also read the YA mystery A Good Girl's Guide to murder, which I didn't enjoy as much as popular opinion apparently. My goal in January is to get through a lot of these library reads, Valancourt reads goal for the year, and then touch some of the borrowed KU. I also want to get to some of my Christopher Pike re-read goals on paperback soon.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #29
HLS
Wizard

Iam reading Our Missing Hearts-Celeste Ng and regret it. It's about a mother that abandoned her son which is what my mom did to me in 1981 so I really did not need the slap in the face. I am hoping it will have a good moral to the story.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #30
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
Moving to other thread, because there are two different threads on the 2023 reading challenge.

Last edited by fduniho; 01-24-2023 at 05:09 PM.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote