Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Wrongway
Enthusiast
Wrongway began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 1, Kindle kb, Kobo Aura HD, kobo Mini
Membership or Support

Do you have the facility for an enhanced membership or a support system as some other organisations with forums sometime have. There is a lot of adverts in the middle of forum lists, posts etc. Everywhere you look. I know adverts provide income to keep forums financed. But as I say, some forums accept paid membership or support for an enhanced ad free experience. Is there anything like that here?
Wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
When you are logged in you shouldn't see any advertisements. Only readers of this forum who are not logged in see advertisements.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #3
Wrongway
Enthusiast

Hmm that's odd. I am logged in as it shows me logged in at the top. However on your reply above I see a massive advert for "Remove iPhoto Duplicates" that takes up two thirds of your posting. The underneath what appears as another posting from 'ADVERTISEMENT' that would like to sell me an iTile. At the top of this page is an eBay advert Brilliant Trends. Shop now.

Last edited by Wrongway; 03-31-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the solution from this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=233071

help you? There certainly goes something wrong if you're seeing adverts.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Wrongway
Enthusiast

I have just tried on an iPad and also different browsers and still get the same. This is what I see for your posting Billi

It seems to be something called ad choices by Google. But even though I have opted out. It still wants to bombard me.
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Billi
Wizard

Hm. I'm sorry to read that you're still seeing the adverts. I'm sure a helpful moderator will chime in and take care of your problem.

(Didn't know that google ads connects their ads with the usernames here )
Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I've always seen ads when logging onto the site via my iPad, but not when logged in via PC or Mac.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:37 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I never see ads, but that may just be down to using Adblock Plus.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I never see ads, but that may just be down to using Adblock Plus.
Is there an Adblock for the iPad?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is there an Adblock for the iPad?
On Android, you can put Firefox in Desktop mode, and install the Adblock plugin for Firefox. I'm not so sure you can do that with iOS (blame Apple) but I did find these:
http://www.virtualfirefox.com/Adblock-plus-on-ipad
http://www.virtualchrome.com/Adblock-plus-on-iphone
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
On Android, you can put Firefox in Desktop mode, and install the Adblock plugin for Firefox. I'm not so sure you can do that with iOS (blame Apple) but I did find these:
http://www.virtualfirefox.com/Adblock-plus-on-ipad
http://www.virtualchrome.com/Adblock-plus-on-iphone
Thanks for the links.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
Wrongway
Enthusiast

And thanks from me. Just installed adblock plus on my Mac and the ads are gone.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongway View Post
And thanks from me. Just installed adblock plus on my Mac and the ads are gone.
I'm guessing that once you get to 10 (maybe 15 or 25) posts you wouldn't have seen anymore ads.

Even with adblock you will see the large gaps where ads are inserted but blocked. Once you reach whatever threshold is required you will no longer see those gaps.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-01-2014 at 12:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #14
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I just noticed this: When I am not logged in, I can't see anybody's signature block.

So logging in blocks the ads, and permits the signatures.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 AM   #15
Wrongway
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm guessing that once you get to 10 (maybe 15 or 25) posts you wouldn't have seen anymore ads.

Even with adblock you will see the large gaps where ads are inserted but blocked. Once you reach whatever threshold is required you will no longer see those gaps.
I'll give that a test.