Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM   #61
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
But for Russian you would definitely want to at least get the keyboard patch
No need Starting from version 4.16 Kobo changed (corrected) the keyboard and
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=ru
ExtraLocales=ru
in Kobo eReader.conf quite sufficient. Patch - a matter of taste, my opinion-it is unnecessary (not needed). This also applies to other languages.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #62
Vetchy
Connoisseur
Vetchy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
@jackie_w — I'm support summary of @dmapr. It solve all issue with text in russian language books, like:
- footer and header text
- footnotes
We haven't other issue.

After find solution with Avenir font, i'm leave only next patches for my kobo.
Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
    Dictionary pop-up - increase available text area: yes
    Remove footer (row3) on new home screen: yes
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:  
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Increase TOC level indentation and fix extra indentation bug: yes
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes    
    Set KePub hyphenation: yes
    Allow searches on Extra dictionaries: yes
    Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Vetchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Summary so far ...

This is a summary of where I think we're at with Kobo GUI system fonts:

Part 1: - "fooling" the Kobo into using different physical font files

A "better Avenir Next" solves a problem for Cyrillic users but not necessarily, for example, for Vietnamese users, and definitely not for those who require CJK fonts.

If a better Avenir Next does not solve the problem for your language it's probably not dodgy to say that any font the user has legal access to can be renamed using JSWolf's instructions in post #57.
  • Users who like having 2 system fonts (1 serif, 1 sans-serif) can pick 2 "good for my language" fonts and use the renaming trick to Georgia (serif) and Avenir Next (sans-serif) before sideloading to /fonts with the correct filenames. See N.B. Update below.
  • Users who only want a single system font, using their "good for my language" font, can do the renaming trick twice with a font editor: once to Georgia and once to Avenir Next before sideloading to /fonts with the correct filenames. See N.B. Update below.
However, using FontForge for the renaming trick, whilst conveniently free, is not necessarily a happy experience for a non-techie. It's not particularly user-friendly or robust [**].

N.B.: *** Update for firmware 4.21.15015+ ***
Once the renaming trick is complete, the info in post #2 will be required to force the Kobo to load all its fonts after a re-boot.

In fw 4.21.15015 @Semwize discovered (post #91) that it is now possible to completely overwrite the default Georgia and Avenir system GUI font files rather than sideloading copies to /fonts. See post #96 for some sample code you can use in kobopatch to copy your custom fonts into the main firmware font directory. If you do this it will no longer be necessary to perform the shenanigans in post #2 after every re-boot.

Part 2: - using kobopatch to change Kobo nickel CSS for font-family.

N.B. Unfortunately, in fw 4.32.19501, Kobo made major changes to font handling. A side effect seems to be that any kobopatching of font-family is so limited as to be no longer worthwhile for any practical purposes.

For those who are comfortable using kobopatch but not a font editor ...

If the only part of the Kobo GUI you really need to improve is the My Books book lists then
  • the fairly generic patch for nickel in post #10 can be used with your sideloaded font(s) of choice.
  • Chinese users, and others who use Code2000 as their preferred sideloaded font, can use a similar patch in post #43

There are also patches in the kobopatch standard pack which can customise font-family in other parts of the GUI, e.g.
  • 'Custom new header/footer font' (not Japanese/Chinese users)
  • 'Custom page navigation scrubber' (not Japanese/Chinese users)

[** My personal experience with FontForge, on Windows, is that I just hope that I manage to get what I want done before it crashes in a heap.]

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-21-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: updated for fw 4.32.19501
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:46 PM   #64
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=ru
ExtraLocales=ru
in Kobo eReader.conf quite sufficient. Patch - a matter of taste, my opinion-it is unnecessary (not needed). This also applies to other languages.
Would this make installing custom dictionaries for Russian any easier, or do you still need to use the "Extra" dictionaries route?

I'm only asking for info. My own chances of ever reading anything in Russian are about zero.

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-03-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think the Moderators might take a dim view of explicitly recommending that Kobo owners who need Cyrillic should appropriate fonts from Nook updates to make their Kobo better!
It's not actually illegal. But B&N no longer make the nook firmware available to download manually. It's no different then other threads saying Bookerly can be had from a new enough Kindle firmware. What might be a problem is giving specific instructions on how to extract the fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #66
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Recent (> last 6 months) fontforge releases should be significantly more robust than they used to .

But, yeah, it's certainly not the most user-friendly process .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
[** My personal experience, on Windows, is that I just hope that I manage to get what I want done before it crashes in a heap.]
Yes, Font Forge for Windows is pretty unstable.

What might work is the free version of Type Light. It's available for Windows and OS X.

https://www.cr8software.net/type.html#thumb

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-03-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #68
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Recent (> last 6 months) fontforge releases should be significantly more robust than they used to .

I'll look for an update. Thanks
Old 10-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #69
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
or do you still need to use the "Extra"
yes

Jackie, cannot find where changes font the right side of the footer and the header Apparently it's not mine.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #70
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

I added a Part 2 to my summary for those who can't face using a font editor. To be fair to FontForge, it's hard to see how you can make a font editor really user-friendly. It's a complex subject.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I added a Part 2 to my summary for those who can't face using a font editor. To be fair to FontForge, it's hard to see how you can make a font editor really user-friendly. It's a complex subject.
But the free Type Light will let you rename fonts and it is stable and a lot easier to use.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:50 PM   #72
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

... follow up ...

Please tell me FontForge isn't one of your many development projects and I've just mortally offended you!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jackie_w: Nah ^^. But development picked up the pace recently, and a lot of cruft was taken care of, so I just thought it was worth mentioning .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #74
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Code:
[ApplicationPreferences]
CurrentLocale=ru
ExtraLocales=ru
I'll check it again, haven't tried in a long time. I distinctly remember not liking the results of
Code:
CurrentLocale=ru
and I was not able to make it work using only
Code:
ExtraLocales=ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not actually illegal. But B&N no longer make the nook firmware available to download manually. It's no different then other threads saying Bookerly can be had from a new enough Kindle firmware. What might be a problem is giving specific instructions on how to extract the fonts.
The firmware is still available for manual download. 1.3.2 for Glowlight, for instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the free Type Light will let you rename fonts and it is stable and a lot easier to use.
Also (and especially if you can't/don't want to install a separate program but have Java), then TTFEdit is a viable alternative, too.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@jackie_w: Nah ^^. But development picked up the pace recently, and a lot of cruft was taken care of, so I just thought it was worth mentioning .
Does FontForge still crash on Windows or has it been fixed so it no longer crashes? Does it have a proper file requester under Windows? The last time I tried FF, the file requester was awful.