Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 08:56 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Monster Hunter Internation : Guardian

The biggest thing to know about this book is that it was written by Sarah Hoyt rather than Larry Correa. I've actually got a fair number of Sarah Hoyt books that I picked up as part of various monthly bundles. I've tried several, but have never really gotten very far into one. They weren't bad, they just didn't hold my interest.

The good news is that this book is apparently a side book and doesn't particularly move the story line along much. Basically it's what happened to Julie during Monster Hunter International : Siege.

It wasn't a terrible book and I did finish it, but like I say, it had a very different feel than the books written by Correa. What was the difference? Well, I would say that it's a matter of talent verses craft. Hoyt does a workman like job, but she just doesn't have the story teller talent that Correa has. I'm reminded of a few side books in the Honor Harrington universe that were written by writers other than David Weber. They weren't bad books, but they had a very different feel to them than the books written by Weber.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I liked his Son of the Black Sword but none of the Monster Hunt books really grabbed me so I stopped reading them.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I liked his Son of the Black Sword but none of the Monster Hunt books really grabbed me so I stopped reading them.
Have you tried his Dead Six series?

I find that most of the time, I tend not to like books where authors are writing in someone else's universe. Sometimes it works, but more often than not, the reason that I like a series isn't the world building, it's the author. When I think of some of the more successful franchises, such as Star Wars or Star Trek, they tend to start in other media and then authors use that back ground to set books. Trying to capture the feel of another author is difficult.

Last edited by pwalker8; 08-14-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 AM   #4
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Interesting, I'll have a read, thanks.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
The biggest thing to know about this book is that it was written by Sarah Hoyt rather than Larry Correa. I've actually got a fair number of Sarah Hoyt books that I picked up as part of various monthly bundles. I've tried several, but have never really gotten very far into one. They weren't bad, they just didn't hold my interest.

The good news is that this book is apparently a side book and doesn't particularly move the story line along much. Basically it's what happened to Julie during Monster Hunter International : Siege.

It wasn't a terrible book and I did finish it, but like I say, it had a very different feel than the books written by Correa. What was the difference? Well, I would say that it's a matter of talent verses craft. Hoyt does a workman like job, but she just doesn't have the story teller talent that Correa has. I'm reminded of a few side books in the Honor Harrington universe that were written by writers other than David Weber. They weren't bad books, but they had a very different feel to them than the books written by Weber.
I hadn't gotten around to picking this up, yet. I didn't know it's solely written by Sarah Hoyt. Thought it was written by both authors. Maybe I'll pass on this one. I've tried to read a couple other Hoyt books and couldn't finish them. Thanks for the heads up.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I hadn't gotten around to picking this up, yet. I didn't know it's solely written by Sarah Hoyt. Thought it was written by both authors. Maybe I'll pass on this one. I've tried to read a couple other Hoyt books and couldn't finish them. Thanks for the heads up.
Just keep in mind that this is my impression of the book. It doesn't come out and explicitly say that.