Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
New Tolino Vision 5, Page 2 and Epos 2

The whole line now updated to Kobo clones (Forma, Libra, Clara and (probably) Aura 2 but with 8GB instead of 4GB)).

New Tolino lineup...

Page 2 (looks to be a Aura 2 "clone" but with 8GB instead of 4GB).
Shine 3 (already out, is a Clara "clone").
Vision 5 (Kobo Libra "clone").
Epos2 (Kobo Forma "clone").

I should say these are Kobo hardware clones. It looks they all still use Tolino firmware.

https://mytolino.com/

Last edited by rcentros; 10-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Thanks for the link rcentros . I guess that pretty much confirms that the wedge shape at least at the higher end devices, are here to stay. Although Kobo buying Tolino probably had a lot to do with their new shape. They do look exactly like Kobo's. I wonder if the prices also match ?
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:59 AM   #3
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
Prices seem comparable. The vision 5 is around 179 eur while libra is 170 usd. So it's android on kobo hardware? I just bought a libra the other day. Now i want the vision 5 if it's android and rootable.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
Prices seem comparable. The vision 5 is around 179 eur while libra is 170 usd. So it's android on kobo hardware? I just bought a libra the other day. Now i want the vision 5 if it's android and rootable.
It's Android but I don't know for sure if the Vision 5 is rootable. Apparently the Shine 3 (Clara-like hardware) is rootable, so I'm guessing the Vision 5 is (or will be) also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqB2Pglmdfw
Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
bonnerable
Connoisseur
bonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timebonnerable possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kobo Mini, Glo HD, Inkbook Prime HD, Kobo Libra
It seems Tolino is more well stocked with case options from the get go than Kobo. The dual color cases here looks nice vision 5 cases.
bonnerable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnerable View Post
It seems Tolino is more well stocked with case options from the get go than Kobo. The dual color cases here looks nice vision 5 cases.
They have a nice color selection too.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #7
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
I wonder if the screen lighting is exactly the same as their Kobo counterparts?

Since I returned the Libra because of the uneven lighting (the screen looked overall 'busy' to me) I'm curious if Tolino's Vision 5 is exactly the same except for the software.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
It's Android but I don't know for sure if the Vision 5 is rootable. Apparently the Shine 3 (Clara-like hardware) is rootable, so I'm guessing the Vision 5 is (or will be) also.
Android of Vision 5 and Epos 2 Firmware Version 13.1 can be opened.
In German
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Since I returned the Libra because of the uneven lighting (the screen looked overall 'busy' to me) I'm curious if Tolino's Vision 5 is exactly the same except for the software.
I'm guessing they're both made in the same factory so it's probably just a matter of the "luck of the draw" with either a Kobo or Tolino. I doubt that there's any better quality control for Kobo's Tolino division. I haven't seen a Reader with the LEDs mounted in the side (instead of the top or bottom) but I'm beginning to wonder if the design of these models is inherently flawed. It seems like a lot of folks are complaining about uneven lighting on the Forma, Libra and the Kindle Oasis models. Maybe the warm light LEDs makes getting the screen lighting even more difficult? (It didn't seem like folks had this complaint about the first two Oasis models.)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:14 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Android of Vision 5 and Epos 2 Firmware Version 13.1 can be opened.
In German
Thanks for the link. So the newest Tolinos are running 13.1? I'm guessing if that's the case the older Tolinos will soon be getting updates. I wonder what's different?
Old 10-23-2019, 02:32 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I wonder if the screen lighting is exactly the same as their Kobo counterparts?

This is bad when reading in portait mode, but it hardly matters in landscape mode.
I am using the Tolino Epos 2 with Android AlReader App in Landscape mode two columns and it is fine.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
This is bad when reading in portait mode, but it hardly matters in landscape mode.
I am using the Tolino Epos 2 with Android AlReader App in Landscape mode two columns and it is fine.
I wish the Epos (1 & 2) had landscape, two-column mode when using the standard firmware.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I wish the Epos (1 & 2) had landscape, two-column mode when using the standard firmware.
It isnt, therefore I opened Android for using Android Apps.
My main Application is Calibre Companion, and my preferred reading App is AlReader.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It isnt, therefore I opened Android for using Android Apps.
My main Application is Calibre Companion, and my preferred reading App is AlReader.
I understand, but rooting Android devices using Linux (instead of Windows) can be a pain. Besides, I like the Tolino's simplicity. My old Sony PRS-950 has dual column "built-in" and it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to implement it in a Tolino Epos (1 or 2) or the Kobos, for that matter.

It's not a huge deal to me as I doubt that I'll keep the Epos anyhow, I don't like the size of it.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It's not a huge deal to me as I doubt that I'll keep the Epos anyhow, I don't like the size of it.
The bezels not wide enough?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote