Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
xdgc
xdgc began at the beginning.

Device: none
[ENHANCEMENT] Reducing book size through image scaling

Space is at premium on my 4GB Paperwhite. A number of my books have glorious big full color photos that I can't make use of on a 1448x1072 B&W screen, so I wrote a program to resample these to fit on screen in grayscale. I save as much as 80%-85% of book size this way.

I wanted to integrate this into Calibre. At first I tried making a separate plugin, but in the end I felt it fit much better as an addition to Polish. I have a patch that implements this "kindlify" mode as an alternative to Polish's stock image recompression.

What is the correct procedure to submit this for review upstream? The various web pages and posts here are unclear on the subject of how to submit ready-for-review updates to core Calibre, and the launchpad tracker doesn't seem like the right place to send git branches. Github PR?
xdgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
github PR is fine, however, Polish is supposed to only have non-destructive tools. A separate grayscaling/downsampling tool would be better.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
xdgc

Thanks. I guess I see this as little different from the existing image recompression. I do not want to destroy the original, which is why I leaned toward Polish: it keeps the ORIGINAL_FOO format. Creating another plugin that creates ORIGINAL_ formats seems redundant.

But let's say I redo it as a standalone plugin. What's your advice on naming my original so that it does not conflict with Polish?
Old 08-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Feel free to name it ORIGINAL_ that is used by many things in calibre, including the conversion system.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #5
xdgc

Alright. I don't know whether I will get around to this (plugin architecture super confuses me) but I appreciate the guidance.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Feel free to ask if you need guidance, lots of plugin developers hang out here.

Tags
patch, polish