Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-18-2018, 10:03 AM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
New Translations of Classics

For some classic novels like War and Punishment and the Brothers Karamazov, when I look at the version that I am told is the best translation, or more to the point the translation that I want, kindle sometimes does a bait and switch and seems to sell you a different translation for a kindle version of a particular translation.

For example they seem to be sneaking in the Garnet translation (which I do not want) as the kindle version of the Pevear translation of War and Peace.

In this instance, it is just a matter that I have found the Pevear versions more accessible and I have read that scholars think they are better translations. In fact, some of readers of Garnet's translations say she just leaves parts out if she found translation of them difficult,

Anyone notice this? Comments?

I am sure this will be a hot topic of discussion on this page
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm sure it's not deliberate. It's just poor metadata and poor matching in Amazon's algorithms.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If whoever published it misrepresented the book it would be their fault not Amazon's.

You can always leave a bad review. There is also a way to report quality problems. Enough of those and Amazon will take down the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have also noticed mismatches between the paper versions and kindle versions of books with multiple translations/versions. Sometimes it's pretty silly; look up Dante's Paradise translated by Anthony Esolen and published by Modern Library on Amazon.ca, switch to the kindle copy and see an obviously badly put together 'let's not even bother bother with a proper cover' edition published by 'Classics Publishing' translated by someone completely different (the look inside gives a different translator then the description does) despite the fact that an ebook version of Esolen's translation published by Modern Library actually exists (albeit with an erroneous product description). The reviews of the different editions appear to be all confused as well (making the bad review option problematical).

Checking previews or look inside is essential.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I have also noticed mismatches between the paper versions and kindle versions of books with multiple translations/versions. Sometimes it's pretty silly; look up Dante's Paradise translated by Anthony Esolen and published by Modern Library on Amazon.ca, switch to the kindle copy and see an obviously badly put together 'let's not even bother bother with a proper cover' edition published by 'Classics Publishing' translated by someone completely different (the look inside gives a different translator then the description does) despite the fact that an ebook version of Esolen's translation published by Modern Library actually exists (albeit with an erroneous product description). The reviews of the different editions appear to be all confused as well (making the bad review option problematical).

Checking previews or look inside is essential.
I couldn't agree more. I often buy Penguin editions, for example, but quite often I'll find the book and opt for the Kindle version, only to find the cheap substitute. So yes, Amazon needs to do a far better job of identifying just what version the Kindle book represents. You can find this if you scroll down to the publishing information, but it took me a while to make that a routine part of my purchases.

Paul
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #6
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I got frustrated with the same issue. What I do now is find the desired translation on goodreads.com, copy the isbn and then search for that, with "kindle store" selected in the search criteria drop down menu. This is has helped, but still frustrating for quick searches.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I think that the older translations, for example, Constance Garnett's Russians, are public domain. Not true of more recent translations. So, yes, Amazon makes more selling the old stuff. But usually, they offer them at very low prices.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:09 PM   #8
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I just checked Amazon for War and Peace. The Kindle edition translator (Garnett) is clearly marked. It's sold for less than $1. I don't think anyone is trying to trick you.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The problem is Amazon aggregates reviews from different translations as if they referred to the same book.

The book description itself should be accurate but may not always tell you who did the translation. ‘Look inside’ should let you see title pages, or download samples to review them before purchase.

The Pervear+Volokhonsky translations (of Russian literature) are well regarded by most. Of course, since they are still alive and expect to get paid for their work, one pays more for them than for translations in the public domain.

Speaking of War and Peace in particular, about 2% of it is in French (reflecting speech of educated Russians at the time). Some translations replace the French with English translations, some do so partially (Garnett) and some retain the original French (Pervear/Volokhonsky provides English translations as footnotes). Some revisions of translations which did not preserve original French restore it.

I suppose we should be happy to have so many choices, but it can be a bit confusing, even without taking into consideration the potential for typos and inferior digital formatting.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-21-2018 at 07:45 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
If you get the translation that you did not want, you can always return the book. Amazon's policy in returning books is best among the ebooksellers that I know of.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
For some classic novels like War and [Peace] and the Brothers Karamazov, when I look at the version that I am told is the best translation, or more to the point the translation that I want, kindle sometimes does a bait and switch and seems to sell you a different translation for a kindle version of a particular translation.
Re War and Peace, it is in Mobileread's Patricia Clark Memorial Library, and the French passages have translated footnotes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10836

Re the translators:

Tolstoy believed that "Better translators, both for knowledge of the two languages and for penetration into the very meaning of the matter translated, could not be invented."

Use Calibre to convert to ePUB or mobi/Amazon.

EDITED: My Tolstoy quote link has an notation that it is unsourced, but this seems to show the quotation is legit.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 05-22-2018 at 05:07 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote