Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
pamEDT
pamEDT began at the beginning.

Device: 8" Amazon Fire tablet, DragonTouch Tablet
Calibre error trying to add iBook

Hi,
I am trying to add an iBook to calibre 3.17.0. I don't have a portable reading device, I use my Mac (10.13.3) to read on. I don't keep the books in "the cloud" (?), but on the computer. My iBook folder is in the Applications . ( I don't have to search through Library..container...for it )
All this background in case it pertains to the error I'm getting !

Generally, I can just Add Books- go to Adobe, etc and collect them to calibre.

I'm including the error I get, hoping it means more to someone there than it does to me !

Many thanks, Pam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERROR ibook access Calibre.jpeg
Views:	737
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	162399  
pamEDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I don't know MAC's
But Applications, usually means 'the App', not the DATA (books,notes...)

Also, Modern Security models (Apple was ahead of the curve), discourage storing DATA in the with the App. App space is Secure. Data space (usually) has to be writable (read: VULNERABLE )

Find where the BOOK are being stored
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
iBooks does not store ebooks as actual ebook files on the disk. So they cannot be added to calirbe as is. A bit of googling will show you a script to convert the iBooks internal storage into actual ebook files that can be added to other programs.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 AM   #4
pamEDT
pamEDT began at the beginning.

Device: 8" Amazon Fire tablet, DragonTouch Tablet
Hi- Thank you for your replies..

Yes, theducks- the iBooks in Applications confused me too, but that seems to be where I can OPEN, read the iBooks.

David, thanks for the info..the more I search around iBooks (when they can be found-very elusive, other than in the Application folder, the less I like it. I don't have any apple devices other than the computer, which does not seem to be who they're aiming at, and I don't "do' the cloud...I just want books to read that I can't get hard copies of. (Luddite, I suppose). I really like, and appreciate calibre as it makes the books so much more accessible. While bumbling around in iBooks, I thought I was moving the books TO iTunes- turned out I moved the books FROM iTunes, to iBooks ! Luckily, I already had them in calibre.
so- I think I'll just steer clear of iBooks. Many thanks for the help to you both.
Pam
pamEDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
iBooks does not store ebooks as actual ebook files on the disk.
Yes it does. I can provide location later tonight if needed @pamEDT but if you open iBooks and download the books then they will download to folder on your Mac as ePubs. The folder is very well hidden though so hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for...

The next problem you run into is that most (all?) iBook books are DRM protected so you would need to strip DRM in order to import them into Calibre.

Interestingly, I'm aware that Apple is resigning and renaming the iBooks app to just Books so it has a simpler design and new storefront. See article HERE or this Post. Apparently they want to better compete with Amazon and they haven't updated in a very long time. This could totally change the look and feel and where files are located. I may need to permanently switch to Amazon ...will see what its like when released.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 09:34 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No it doesn't, look closely. It stores them as folders named with an .epub extension. You need to use a script to zip up the folders to create epub files from them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #7
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No it doesn't, look closely. It stores them as folders named with an .epub extension. You need to use a script to zip up the folders to create epub files from them.
Below is a screen shot of my iBook epub files. I don't seem to have the extension format on my system. My operating system and iBooks are up-to-date. Then I just remove DRM and import into Calibre.

Files are located below

Users > [User Name] > Library > Containers > com.apple.BKAgentService > Data > Documents > iBooks > Books
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iBooks epub files screen shot.png
Views:	640
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	162427  
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote