Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-24-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
mikemikeee
mikemikeee began at the beginning.

Device: male
hi guy,I have a question,please help me!

My mom has the PW1 and she has a nice MORE button on the dictionary popup... but my PW2 does not seem to have this.

Sometimes I'd like to see more details for what the wikipedia / dictionary entry has to say and don't want to use the small little preview window.

Any ideas?

Slightly related; what is the best replacement for the Oxford English Dictionary? As I read more I find it a bit lacking. Reddit mentioned merriam-webster collegiate dictionary. Thoughts?

Thanks!
mikemikeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Hi. I cannot speak to your PW issue, but I can tell you about alternate dictionaries:

The Mirriam-webster collegiate is good, and is reasonably priced at $11:
https://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webst...ary+for+kindle

I also have the Webster's Third New International Dictionary Unabridged, which is huge. It is expensive at $55, but occasionally goes on sale (I got my copy for $14.99 last November), so stick it in your Amazon wishlist and watch it for a few months.

Another alternative is The Collins English Dictionary, which is similar in size to the one above, but much cheaper at $4.99. However, I have not personally tried it yet. https://www.amazon.com/Collins-Engli...t_sims?ie=UTF8

I like to have a few dictionaries on my Kindle, not just because one is necessarily better than another overall, but because sometimes seeing multiple definitions adds more perspective to one's understanding of the word. I hope this helps.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #3
Guiltyr1
Connoisseur
Guiltyr1 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Padigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I also have the Webster's Third New International Dictionary Unabridged, which is huge. It is expensive at $55, but occasionally goes on sale (I got my copy for $14.99 last November), so stick it in your Amazon wishlist and watch it for a few months.
It is on sale right now for $34.91

https://www.amazon.com/Websters-Thir...oding=UTF8&me=
Guiltyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
It depends on whether you prefer prescriptive or descriptive dictionaries and why you want a dictionary. For etymology, nothing can beat Oxford English Dictionary. I love the usage panels comments in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary and the American Heritage Unabridged Dictionary.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote