Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-05-2015, 06:25 AM   #46
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Aura
Would a factory reset revert all patch changes?
Diruuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #47
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diruuo View Post
Would a factory reset revert all patch changes?
Yes, but a factory reset will delete all your sideloaded books, fonts, stats, etc. too. You can revert all these patches without all those extra effects by following the instructions in post #1, or by upgrading to new firmware or re-installing the current firmware.

Beware if you have enabled the `Block WiFi firmware upgrade` patch though: selecting Factory reset from the Device information menu or Sign out from the Accounts menu could lead to a boot loop, so you would need to disable this patch first.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #48
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Aura
Unless that patch was enabled by default and I somehow missed it then I shouldn't have that particular patch. I think I left only the advanced font settings enabled but I'm not even sure now.
Diruuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 01:10 AM   #49
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Better to be safe than sorry, running a patch through with all 'no's wont hurt anything, it'll just revert your device to a pre-patch state. Trying the dereg method when you aren't sure might be a lot more work.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:41 PM   #50
lambstone
Enthusiast
lambstone began at the beginning.

I'm getting this error trying to patch my H2O

J:\patch_kobo_3173\tools\pa32lsb.exe: line 123 in 'J:\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_sou
rce\libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch': replace_bytes mismatched data.
ERROR processing J:\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source\libnickel.so.1.0. 0.patch
Press any key to continue . . .
lambstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 PM   #51
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambstone View Post
I'm getting this error trying to patch my H2O

J:\patch_kobo_3173\tools\pa32lsb.exe: line 123 in 'J:\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_sou
rce\libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch': replace_bytes mismatched data.
ERROR processing J:\patch_kobo_3173\3.17.3_source\libnickel.so.1.0. 0.patch
Press any key to continue . . .
I think this most likely means you have downloaded the wrong firmware version for this patch. You must be running version 3.17.3 on your device and download the exact same version to the 3.17.3_source directory.

But it could also mean you have edited the libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file and added something that shouldn't be there.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:58 AM   #52
AlexViean
AlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Hi! How can I change system font? Thanks!
AlexViean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #53
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexViean View Post
Hi! How can I change system font? Thanks!
I don't know any way to replace the built-in fonts, they are encrypted and I think the replacement would have to have the same encryption.

However it is probably not necessary to replace any fonts to solve your problem in this thread. If the system fonts are missing glyphs then they can be substituted from other fonts. When the device first boots the other fonts are not loaded automatically and so the missing glyphs appear as squares until after you open a book, access the font menu, or do something to cause the non-system fonts to be loaded.

It might depend on whether you are reading ePub or KePub books, I don't know the details as I only read in English but others who use custom dictionaries should be able to help.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #54
AlexViean
AlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blueAlexViean can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo GLO HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I don't know any way to replace the built-in fonts, they are encrypted and I think the replacement would have to have the same encryption.

However it is probably not necessary to replace any fonts to solve your problem in this thread. If the system fonts are missing glyphs then they can be substituted from other fonts. When the device first boots the other fonts are not loaded automatically and so the missing glyphs appear as squares until after you open a book, access the font menu, or do something to cause the non-system fonts to be loaded.

It might depend on whether you are reading ePub or KePub books, I don't know the details as I only read in English but others who use custom dictionaries should be able to help.
Thank you. I read epub format only. So is there any ways to solve my problem?
AlexViean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #55
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexViean View Post
Thank you. I read epub format only. So is there any ways to solve my problem?
I've replied in the other thread, I don't really understand enough about it to know if a patch would be the solution.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:15 AM   #56
doctorbook
doctorbook began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite
With the old firmware (up to version 3.8) with a patch (FullBookPageNumbers) could be seen on footer "Chapter X - page of total pages".
With the news firmwares (from version 3.11) if in Reading settings select "current chapter" you see "Chapter X - page pages Chapter X"
if you select "Entire book" you see "page of total pages". Is there a way to get back the old position indication?
doctorbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #57
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbook View Post
With the old firmware (up to version 3.8) with a patch (FullBookPageNumbers) could be seen on footer "Chapter X - page of total pages".
With the news firmwares (from version 3.11) if in Reading settings select "current chapter" you see "Chapter X - page pages Chapter X"
if you select "Entire book" you see "page of total pages". Is there a way to get back the old position indication?
The page counting method for KePubs when 'Entire book' progress is selected now uses a similar method of counting pages to the ePub method, it is not 'one page = one screen' like you got with the FullBookPageNumbers feature setting in earlier firmware versions. I think changing back to the old page counting method for KePubs would require a major change to the code, much more than could be done with a patch.

But if you are happy with the new 'Entire book' page counting method in KePubs and all you want is the current chapter name to be displayed when 'Entire book' progress is selected, then that might be possible, but probably not easy.

(As an aside, if you read ePubs then selecting 'Current chapter' progress actually displays the same page numbering as 'Entire book', but it causes the chapter name to appear before the page number in the navigation menu. Selecting 'Entire book' progress doesn't change the page counting method, it just removes the chapter name. So I suspect a patch to do what you want for ePubs would be easier than for KePubs.)

Here are screenshots showing what I mean about the navigation menu for ePubs: first is with 'Entire book' progress selected, the second with 'Current chapter'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	epub-entire-book-progress.png
Views:	294
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	142074   Click image for larger version

Name:	epub-current-chapter-progress.png
Views:	284
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	142075  

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-17-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Added ePub screenshots
Old 09-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #58
doctorbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
...I think changing back to the old page counting method for KePubs would require a major change to the code, much more than could be done with a patch.

But if you are happy with the new 'Entire book' page counting method in KePubs and all you want is the current chapter name to be displayed when 'Entire book' progress is selected, then that might be possible, but probably not easy.

(As an aside, if you read ePubs then selecting 'Current chapter' progress actually displays the same page numbering as 'Entire book', but it causes the chapter name to appear before the page number in the navigation menu. Selecting 'Entire book' progress doesn't change the page counting method, it just removes the chapter name. So I suspect a patch to do what you want for ePubs would be easier than for KePubs.)
Thank you GeoffR for your answer.
The name of the chapter with the total page count was a beautiful option for kepub.
This could be a good challenge for you !! I'm sure you'd be able to fix it!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 PM   #59
GeoffR
Wizard

`Always display chapter name on navigation menu`

Normally the <-> navigation menu only displays the current chapter name before the page number if Reading settings > Display progress for: is set to Current Chapter. This patch causes the current chapter name to be displayed if Entire book progress is selected as well. Works for both ePub and KePub books.

Patch for firmware version 3.17.3 (paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch)
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Always display chapter name on navigation menu`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# in ReadingMenuScrubberController::setChapterAndProgressText(...)
#  progressTypeIsBookBased(...) --> False
replace_bytes = 89ACD0, 61 F7 D6 E1, 00 20 00 20
</Patch>

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-17-2015 at 02:21 PM. Reason: paste into libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch
Old 09-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #60
doctorbook

GeoffR you are great!!!
but I know that you be able to completely solve the rest of the problem!
Thank you