Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
poncho
poncho began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which reader for a non us resident

Hello

A friend of mine is moving from England abroad. We want to buy them a electronic reader as it is very difficult to buy english books where they are going. They donot have a us credit card/ i.e billing address so allot of ebok downloads seem to be unvailable..namely amazon and so forth. Plus they are not very technical.

My question is this:

1) are their allot of ebooks you can buy/ dowlad if you do not live in the USA
2) what is the most generic reader to get

Thank you

Nadine
poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
I say Cybook since it has a global warranty, and if he/she has access to the internet mobileread, project Guttenberg (I think that's how it's spelt) have tonnes of public domain books s/he can read for free. The US credit card/billing address only applies to the Kindle and Amazon, I'm pretty sure places like BooksonBoard and Fictionwise accept UK credit cards (I know they accept US and Canadaian credit cards) so finding books to buy shouldn't be a problem.

I own a Sony 505 myself but wouldn’t recommend it in this situation because the warranty doesn’t extend to most countries so if the reader were to break it'd be a hassel to ship it to the UK then to the Sony store then back to the UK address then to your friend... Hope that helps
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would second the recommendation for a device which supports the MobiPocket format. It will give your friend access to lots of different bookstores, and there's no problem buying outside the US. The CyBook has the best MobiPocket support; other machines which support it are the BeBook, Hanlin V3, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Nadine.

There are many fine e-book readers besides the Kindle.

You'll be getting lots of great advice here.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote