Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #1
fortea
fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 2014 7th generation 5.6.5
Kindle Touch 5.8.10 homepage strange locked (RAM?)

Hi all,
This morning I opened my Kindle Touch 2014 (firmware version 5.8.10) as every day, but touch screen didn't work, it was locked on the homepage.

I locked it and it still didn't work. 20 seconds reboot did nothing, it was still locked on the homepage. Pluggin and unplugging to DC and to PC neither. By deleting folders like "system", ".active_content_sadbox", ".Trash" or "documents" folder nothing happens.

I also tried to install DUOKAN but after reboot I still see my old homepage. Then I tried to format the disk and it seems to have made a factory reset since now I can see "system", ".active_content_sandbox" and "dictionary" folders as if it was the first boot. Anyway, when I open it it is still locked on the home page as if there were no deletion and no formatting, despite no documents are in the SD at now.

Moreover, it is in offline mode and since touch does not work I can't turn wireless on.

Someone help me please
fortea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Well since you deleted system, you may be out of luck.
Try this.
Plug it in to your computer.
On the top line put
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE

That may bring your kindle back but no guarantees.
Avoid the D thing next time.
My next suggestion if that works is never delete any files unless you know exactly what will happen.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
fortea
fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.fortea is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My next suggestion if that works is never delete any files unless you know exactly what will happen.
Oh, Kindle is such a stupid device IMHO and has made me so much crazy that hurting it is a pleasure for me .

Anyway, it seems to have made a factory reset and now asks me the language to use, but touch isn't working and I can't go on.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortea View Post
Oh, Kindle is such a stupid device IMHO and has made me so much crazy that hurting it is a pleasure for me .

Anyway, it seems to have made a factory reset and now asks me the language to use, but touch isn't working and I can't go on.
But why would you think it is a pleasure for us to deal with the result of your intentionally hurting it?

Your model of Kindle does not have an SD card.

It does sound like the touchscreen has died.
Have you had the case open?
Any chance you knocked the display or touchscreen cables loose?
If so, re-check them, they are rather delicate and attached with tiny connectors.

You could probably make use of Amazon's trade-in program.
It would probably be better if you didn't mention your attempts to intentionally damage the device.

Last edited by knc1; 09-18-2017 at 07:58 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
fortea

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It does sound like the touchscreen has died.
Have you had the case open?
Any chance you knocked the display or touchscreen cables loose?
If so, re-check them, they are rather delicate and attached with tiny connectors.

You could probably make use of Amazon's trade-in program.
It would probably be better if you didn't mention your attempts to intentionally damage the device.
No, simply it stayed closed in his case for about 12 hours. I used it the day before and then the morning it didn't work. No knocks, temperature stresses, water or other. The warranty should expire the next month, so I could try to send it back to Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your model of Kindle does not have an SD card.
Yes, you're right, I meant by extension the flash memory.

Anyway, despite what you think, I'm not an inexperienced geek. I'm a computer engineer and I can say that Amazon Kindle is the worst electronic device that I ever had (I received it as a gift). It is completely closed, its software has countless bugs, its pdf reader is quite unusable and its cost is high. How much is stupid a device in which system directory is the same partition of the user directories? And why there is no way to enter the boot menu? And why can't I turn it off definitely and I can only reboot it? And why there are no buttons but one?

However I thank you for your help
Advert
Old 09-19-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortea View Post
No, simply it stayed closed in his case for about 12 hours. I used it the day before and then the morning it didn't work. No knocks, temperature stresses, water or other. The warranty should expire the next month, so I could try to send it back to Amazon.

Yes, you're right, I meant by extension the flash memory.

Anyway, despite what you think, I'm not an inexperienced geek. I'm a computer engineer and I can say that Amazon Kindle is the worst electronic device that I ever had (I received it as a gift). It is completely closed, its software has countless bugs, its pdf reader is quite unusable and its cost is high. How much is stupid a device in which system directory is the same partition of the user directories? And why there is no way to enter the boot menu? And why can't I turn it off definitely and I can only reboot it? And why there are no buttons but one?

However I thank you for your help
I can only base my replies on what you post.
Your device has expired, if it is still under warranty, exchange it.
Otherwise, throw it away, and never buy or accept the gift of a Kindle again.

What you describe is the normal description of anything which has failed -
It was working before and it is not working now.
Everything quits at sometime, you are only describing the case before vs the case after.

"How much is stupid a device in which system directory is the same partition of the user directories?"
You are wrong, that is not so.

"there is no way to enter the boot menu?"

"why can't I turn it off definitely and I can only reboot it?"

And since you know that you let it continue to run internally when you are not using it, you know an electronic device can fail at anytime, but more likely when it is running, then you have answered your own question.
I.E: If you are actively using it is not relevant to when it fails, only what it is doing is relevant.

Hmm...
Seems like you are now only venting, not trying to solve a problem.

Last edited by knc1; 09-19-2017 at 08:26 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 5.8.10, kindle, touch