Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
And now you know what editors do.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
So I think he can do good with his writing.
This seems (being as generous as I can) to be a dialect difference. In standard English, 'good' and 'bad' are never used as adverbs.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, we are talking dialects.
Over her yes one can do bad or good.

Guys I think we scared the OP off.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Here either would be correct. You can do good or bad at any skill.
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Don't take my word for it - look in a dictionary.

"Good" and "bad" are adjectives; the corresponding adverbs are "well" and "badly". When you are qualifying a verb ("do" in this case) you use an adverb. Adjectives are only used to qualify nouns. It's just plain wrong to use an adjective in place of an adverb (which is of course not to say that it's not commonly done, but that doesn't make it any the less incorrect).

Last edited by HarryT; 01-15-2016 at 04:52 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
ScorchedEarth22
ScorchedEarth22 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
To the OP,
By the time the three of us get done with you, you will know proper English on both sides of the pond.
I am more than ok with that And I definitely plan on going back and reworking TSH, starting with volume 1. Honestly, I will probably keep posting my stuff to RRL for now, if for nothing more to help get the ideas in my head onto paper (otherwise I tend to procrastinate till the end of time). Even if it's just a few people enjoying it, I see no reason to take it away from them (especially as some ask for more).

I've been reading a lot of jakonrath.blogspot.com, and I must say that I can see why e-books via amazon and similar sites might be the way to go. I know my book has a long way to go, but I'm ready and willing to give it my all.

Thanks again for all your advice guys, and thank you for not kidding me around. I hate it when people try to just blindly tell me something is good
ScorchedEarth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Don't take my word for it - look in a dictionary.

"Good" and "bad" are adjectives; the corresponding adverbs are "well" and "badly". When you are qualifying a verb ("do" in this case) you use an adverb. Adjectives are only used to qualify nouns. It's just plain wrong to use an adjective in place of an adverb (which is of course not to say that it's not commonly done, but that doesn't make it any the less incorrect).
Ok you win.

So now good luck to the OP.
Hey JD,
Meant to tell you that cover is gorgeous.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:14 PM   #22
ScorchedEarth22

Glad you like it
Old 01-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #23
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

So now do you see the difference between a grammar check and an editor?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #24
ScorchedEarth22

I've got a much clearer picture, yes.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #25
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Not as easy as it looks.
I still think with some work, you will do well.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #26
ScorchedEarth22

Thanks considering your track record, that's encouraging.

Tags
fantasy, far future, romance, sci-fi, web fiction