Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
steelcommuter
steelcommuter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Video out / external display options in the future?

I am an English teacher whose high school students are part of a medical/vocational pathway, and with some grant money I recently purchased a Nook Color. My intention is to explore the Nook Color as a research and reading tool in the classroom, and possibly use it to show pages of nonfiction/fiction books and video segments on my project.

I have called and e-mailed several Barnes and Noble representatives, to no avail, to answer a simple question. Will the Nook Color receive some accessory that will allow a teacher to export the display to an external source, such as an LCD projector? My two emails to customer services received responses that were laughably unrelated to the question. One told me the website for Nook Color accessories (yeah, because I can't find that myself ) and the other had no connection at all to my query. I have spoken to 4 BN employees who were gracious but did not know the answer to my question.

I don't think anyone here necessarily has the inside scoop (if you do let me know) but are there any other NC users who would like an video out accessory? Any other educators here who are using the NC in their classroom? Please share
steelcommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Not likely as the only I/O is through that miniUSB port which doesn't even support hosting ATM but it's possible that you might be able to request an app to be written for the app store that would capture/re-direct screen output to a computer which could then be used with a projector or something.

Actually now that I think of it there may even already exist an app to do it via WiFi, but I've never had the need to look.

(The easiest way would've been an HDMI output or a dock port with a dock accessory that had various outputs but B&N opted to provide neither, likely as it was really meant to be a color reader that could perform some other tasks although I'm hopeful that they move to a more open system in the next update and honeycomb(Android 3.0).)

You MIGHT have better luck asking at xda-developers B&N NC forum as someone else might have already done this with a NC(rooted) or other device lacking outputs. Most likely you'd have to at least root your NC, and possibly add a different launcher and market(most likely source of such an app if it already exists).

It MIGHT even be possible to do this with the Android debugging tools, but again best check @ xda-developers as you're more likely to find someone who knows already.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
steelcommuter
steelcommuter began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Thanks for the great reply
steelcommuter is offline   Reply With Quote