Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Original Kobo Firmware 1.8.2 Released

Dear MRers,
We noticed a number of you had problems with Adobe DRMd ePubs after an upgrade. We investigated the issue, and today our technical team confirmed the problem. To resolve this, we have released version 1.8.2 of the Original Kobo Reader firmware as a fix.

The problem you will see is that the Original Kobo Reader, when upgrading from 1.4, would no longer be able to open Adobe DRM ePubs without doing a Factory Reset, or forcing the device to regenerate the Adobe XML files. This release fixes that problem.

This replaces previous 1.8 versions for people who haven't upgraded, and can also be used by people who have upgraded to 1.8.1 if you are having problems. This should resolve your problems without having to wipe your device.

We consider this an optional upgrade, so if you have 1.8.1 and aren't having any problems, you don't need this version and won't be prompted to upgrade.

If you are still on 1.4, you will get this as part of the regular upgrade process when you plug your device into the Kobo PC/Mac Desktop application.

If you are on 1.8 or 1.8.1, you can force your device to upgrade by plugging your device in, starting the Desktop application and pressing Control+Shift+U on a PC, or Command+Shift+U on a Mac. This will force the upgrade process to start.

Jordan Christensen
Kobo Inc.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Thanks Jordan

I remove DRM from all my ebooks so I should not need to update to 1.8.2, but the update would be most useful for many users.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I'm not getting the update, even with CTRL-SHFT-U.

Any advice?
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Some simple questions:
- Is your reader plugged in and detected by the app? (i.e. you see it in bottom left corner of the app window)
- Are you in the library view? (i.e. not on the sign in page, or in the store?)

And, of course, are you on Windows? Not you're on a Mac you need to press Command instead of control.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Yes, yes and yes.

And, I'm running a Nov 9th version of the beta.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
we have released version 1.8.2 of the Original Kobo Reader firmware as a fix.
Any link to sd card image tarball?
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Zoran--anyone who uses an SD card install would not need 1.8.2 as the SD install wipes the reader--no problems with ADE books after that! They still may send a .tgz to us, but there is nothing in there for SD card users.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Zoran--anyone who uses an SD card install would not need 1.8.2 as the SD install wipes the reader--no problems with ADE books after that! They still may send a .tgz to us, but there is nothing in there for SD card users.
Thanks for explanation. I didn't ponder on that. My bad.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
VKVK
VKVK began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
Some simple questions:
- Is your reader plugged in and detected by the app? (i.e. you see it in bottom left corner of the app window)
- Are you in the library view? (i.e. not on the sign in page, or in the store?)

And, of course, are you on Windows? Not you're on a Mac you need to press Command instead of control.
I also cannot start the upgrade process. No prompt to upgrade, nothing happens when I press the key combination.

- Reader is plugged in and detected
- I am in the library view
- Using Windows XP SP2. Pressing CTRL + Shift + U.

Currently running 1.4 firmware on the reader, version of the Desktop software is v1.8
VKVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Click inside of the library window--so that window has focus--before the key combination. If that does not work, you might try to sign out and sign into the desktop software again. The next thing I would try is uninstalling the desktop, and then installing again from the "desktop installer" file on your Kobo or from the download file on kobobooks: http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop

Last edited by taming; 12-22-2010 at 04:28 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 PM   #11
RussMeyer
RussMeyer began at the beginning.

I just upgraded from 1.4 and it seemed to go well. I'm not sure about the DRM problem, I've stripped the DRM off all my books.
RussMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

thanks! won't personally upgrade - but i am glad to be on the newest firmware now. like controlling the power off option is a good one.
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
urbanite
urbanite began at the beginning.

Thanks for the new release. I had to jump through all the hoops to get my library books working again, but it's working now after a full factory reset (and a DB replace). I'm pretty shocked that this wasn't a test case when you were testing ... I would imagine there are a fair number of people using the Kobo with ADE to access the public library or other DRM'd material.

Anyway, all is working for me now.

Last edited by urbanite; 12-24-2010 at 04:00 AM.
urbanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 AM   #14
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanite View Post
Thanks for the new release. I had to jump through all the hoops to get my library books working again, but it's working now after a full factory reset (and a DB replace). I'm pretty shocked that this wasn't a test case when you were testing ... I would imagine there are a fair number of people using the Kobo with ADE to access the public library or other DRM'd material.

Anyway, all is working for me now.
We weren't given the USB upgrade path to test and only saw it the same time as everyone else. If we had been given it, I know many if not most of the upgrade issues would have been caught.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
VKVK
VKVK began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKVK View Post
I also cannot start the upgrade process. No prompt to upgrade, nothing happens when I press the key combination.

- Reader is plugged in and detected
- I am in the library view
- Using Windows XP SP2. Pressing CTRL + Shift + U.

Currently running 1.4 firmware on the reader, version of the Desktop software is v1.8
Connected the Kobo to another computer, prompted me to upgrade right away.
VKVK is offline   Reply With Quote