Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It still needs a sizeable amount of RAM to build (with GCC / -O2), according to the Gentoo ebuilds (512MB RAM/6GB Disk).
Or a big swap file, if you do not mind waiting all week for it to compile.

Of course, the 512MB RAM thing could get complicated with only 256MB memory address space in the ARM processor, which limits the size of a swap file used in a single process.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 03:00 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #62
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Ooh, swap, I'm happy to say I completely forgot about it, even with a 3 * 4GB striped swap on this box ^^ (Yes, I'm really bad at maths when setting up a 3-disk raid10 array, I really didn't intend to end up with so much swap xD).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #63
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PREVIOUS CONTENTS DELETED (TOO OFF TOPIC).
SUMMARY: Although I have "big" boxes, I still do compiles in my K3 sometimes...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-15-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #64
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Ooh, swap, I'm happy to say I completely forgot about it, even with a 3 * 4GB striped swap on this box ^^ (Yes, I'm really bad at maths when setting up a 3-disk raid10 array, I really didn't intend to end up with so much swap xD).
hahaha possibly the largest swap I ever heard of. I have 680.83 Mb (oops bit of an after thought then) and it's always 99% free.

I sometimes wonder if Slack uses swap at all. perhaps the 8Gb of Ram is overkill?

You could run several OS's in your swap Brilliant
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 AM   #65
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
hahaha possibly the largest swap I ever heard of. I have 680.83 Mb (oops bit of an after thought then) and it's always 99% free.

I sometimes wonder if Slack uses swap at all. perhaps the 8Gb of Ram is overkill?

You could run several OS's in your swap Brilliant
That was part of a long standing problem in VFS, only fixed a few weeks ago.
Try a 3.4.4 or new kernel.

- - - -

I, and millions of other people, could run MS-DOS in the processor cache with room for user files. Who needs external (to the processor) storage?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 AM   #66
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That was part of a long standing problem in VFS, only fixed a few weeks ago.
Try a 3.4.4 or new kernel.
- - - -
I, and millions of other people, could run MS-DOS in the processor cache with room for user files. Who needs external (to the processor) storage?
3.4.4 rellied 2012-06-22. and I'm still running a 13.1 Kernel from the 90's
(UPDATE OS!)

Noted thanks Knc1
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
3.4.4 rellied 2012-06-22. and I'm still running a 13.1 Kernel from the 90's
(UPDATE OS!)

Noted thanks Knc1
I should most probably back-off from such a positive statement as the one I made.

Disclaimer: It ***should*** have been fixed by recent changes to the VFS code.
But those folks at kernel.org have been known to replace a single bug with a nest of insect eggs.
In that project's defense: the Linux kernel is a BIG program.

But things have improved since the 90's.
There once was a time when you where lucky to get the thing to compile, let alone run.
Code:
root@Microknoppix:~# uptime
 08:32:53 up 101 days, 17:04,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05
root@Microknoppix:~# uname -a
Linux Microknoppix 3.0.4 #12 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 8 05:27:05 CEST 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
But that short uptime is not the kernel's fault, I had to manually shut down that machine due to circumstances beyound its control (or mine). It would be fair to add 47 days to that report.

Last edited by knc1; 07-03-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #68
geekmaster

Here is a new demo of a Nook Simple Touch running PlayStation 1 games using the "NoRefresh" hack. The eink animation is quite usable. We should be able to do this on our kindles too!

I am looking forward to progress on this stuff once we get a good SDL library going on the kindles. The NST is farther ahead of kindle development because it has android built-in (with a much larger android developer base), while on the kindles we have a LOT less native support, so we have to do a lot more to achieve these results.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #69
twobob

root@kindle:games> ./prboom

prboom v2.5.0 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
I_SetAffinityMask: manual affinity mask is 1
Could not initialize SDL [No available video device]

And that is me. just one step away from getting that puppy running.

Looks like either manually compiling in aalib support (for quick and dirty), getting SDL page flip to respect eips calls, or possibly welding in the GM code to sdl.

either way. I too am excited about that day.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #70
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Not too sure, but I think the last time I looked, SDL had support for down to 8bpp framebuffers. So the blitting would need a bit of love and hardware framebuffer layers are out of the game. Probably an 8bpp shadow framebuffer plus 4bpp/K5-8bpp dithering blit would be the way to go...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #71
twobob

I see 4 bit support listed for SDL in Buildroot.

What? I'm not timewasting!

err okay I'll stop now...
* nostalgia* : D

EDIT: Okay now I'm done

Games pictured did not suffer from ugly FB smear.

Notes on Roms.
Spoiler:
SIDE NOTE: I am the proud owner of all these original handhelds [duplicates and old rares too] and the vast majority of the games, just before anyone whines about me using roms. It's die-hards like us who keep companies like Nin-T in cash throughout our lives...
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_028.png
Views:	397
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	91551   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: kindle.fb.pgm_029.png
Views:	451
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	91552   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: kindle.fb.pgm_030.png
Views:	387
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	91553   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: kindle.fb.pgm_031.png
Views:	396
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	91554   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageMagick: kindle.fb.pgm_032.png
Views:	377
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	91555  

Last edited by twobob; 08-30-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added some notes, and background on my handheld habit
Old 08-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #72
twobob

config BR2_PACKAGE_QT_PIXEL_DEPTH_4
bool "4 bpp, grayscale"

config BR2_PACKAGE_QT_PIXEL_DEPTH_8
bool "8 bpp, paletted"
default y

hmmmm that's in qt. bugger. wrong again
Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #73
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Yep, in fact Qt and Microwindows (though nowadays called Nano-X-Window-System, quite interesting and compact framework!) were the only frameworks I've found that had support for 4bpp.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral

We can build kernel modules . . .
Why not an 8bpp -> 4bpp shim module to add to the stack of several lab126 shim modules?

Yes, I know, there is a difference between being able to build a module and being able to write a module.
It was just a passing brain fart (no pun intended).
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
We can build kernel modules . . .
Why not an 8bpp -> 4bpp shim module to add to the stack of several lab126 shim modules?

Yes, I know, there is a difference between being able to build a module and being able to write a module.
It was just a passing brain fart (no pun intended).
There is code in my newtrix demo that does just that. It converts 8bpp 256-gray framebuffer contents into 4bpp content compatible with all eink kindles. Even the 8bpp framebuffer kindles are really just 4bpp, with the upper 4-bits just a copy of the lower 4-bits (required to avoid "unpredictable" results, according to comments in the eink driver gpl code).

My "8bpp to 4bpp dither" code could be extracted from newtrix and squeezed into a shim kernel module. Of course, it could be refined using techniques from later "no dither table" demos.
newtrix demo: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176802

Beware that converting to 4bpp will still have severe flicker on eink kindles. It would be better to use pure black and white dithering like my other eink demos use (including some in newtrix).

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-31-2012 at 10:35 AM.