Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #31
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastedpine View Post
Depends on what it takes to add a feature, and how that feature runs. I don't know a lot about Linux and programming, but supposing a twitter service was always live (maybe to keep an eye on your activities), then that would mean less resources for page turns and other more essential functions. It doesn't sound like much, but how many different extra functions will need to be loaded until everyone is satisfied?
Typically as far as I know twitter facebook etc postings would be on demand service. Meaning you would have to typically go to to the home screeen and push a button for any information would be sent. resources then used would be zero till you demanded it.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:47 PM   #32
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Typically as far as I know twitter facebook etc postings would be on demand service. Meaning you would have to typically go to to the home screeen and push a button for any information would be sent. resources then used would be zero till you demanded it.

If they do this I hope they make it so you can turn off the buttons on the home screen. I really like how the home screen is uncluttered, and lets me focus on picking my book and reading.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #33
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

In case no one asked for it yet, I would like to put in a request for unicode support.

There's a lot of potential for language learning ebooks since they're easy to carry around and start up quickly. I think having unicode wouldn't be too far of a stretch because it already has support for other character sets like French.

That said, I've been hearing some comments about the adobe sdk being really picky so I don't want to trouble anyone if adding unicode means making the sdk cranky.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #34
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
In case no one asked for it yet, I would like to put in a request for unicode support.

There's a lot of potential for language learning ebooks since they're easy to carry around and start up quickly. I think having unicode wouldn't be too far of a stretch because it already has support for other character sets like French.

That said, I've been hearing some comments about the adobe sdk being really picky so I don't want to trouble anyone if adding unicode means making the sdk cranky.
I do have french books, and they work well. By default a xhtml file is UTF-8 (Unicode) unless otherwise stated. So the only thing that remains to do is make sure that the fonts that are in the device support the character set.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #35
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
I do have french books, and they work well. By default a xhtml file is UTF-8 (Unicode) unless otherwise stated. So the only thing that remains to do is make sure that the fonts that are in the device support the character set.
Thank you for pointing this out to me. I knew that UTF-8 in the xml files were for something, but it never really registered since I thought that was just UTF-8 written in ASCII. That'll teach me to ignore the obvious.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
Toastedpine
Connoisseur

It is possible to put the wake function onto the home button when the Kobo is asleep? I have the official cover, and the sliding switch is so tedious to pick at.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #37
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Quote:
It is possible to put the wake function onto the home button when the Kobo is asleep? I have the official cover, and the sliding switch is so tedious to pick at.
+1 It would be great to have this option somewhere in the menu. The official case does obstruct the switch.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #38
xraminx
xraminx began at the beginning.

Landscape mode for all formats (epub, pdf, cbz, cbr, etc...) PLEASE!
xraminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #39
Mithradyr
Enthusiast

It might be nice to include the time in more locations than the date and time settings. Perhaps at the top right of the home screen, library etc. and also at the top right of the in-book menu (the menu used for changing fonts, skipping chapters, etc.). A check box could be placed in the date and time settings to toggle the feature for those who don't want it. Just an idea
Old 06-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think there might be a problem with displaying rapdily changing info such as the time due to the nature of eInk.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #41
Mithradyr
Enthusiast

Maybe it could just be displayed at the in-book menu then? It wouldn't really be rapidly changing as long as you didn't include the seconds. Also, it wouldn't drain the battery since the menu isn't always displayed.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #42
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
In order of desire

1) Support for LInux
2) Categorize collections
3) Landscape mode
4) AC charger, accessory

Ok, the last one isn't firmware, but I still want it
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #43
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
In order of desire

1) Support for LInux
2) Categorize collections
3) Landscape mode
4) AC charger, accessory

Ok, the last one isn't firmware, but I still want it
I bought a usb ac adapter that had two ports so i could charge my iphone and my kobo at the same time.
cost was cheap under 20 dollars

regards
jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #44
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I was able to pick up a USB wall charger for $7 at Canada Computers.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #45
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designe...-us-plug-55652
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote