Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
Andreiuta
Zealot
Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andreiuta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
The reason I would never, and I mean NEVER buy a Kindle is because I have major concerns about their privacy policy. The Kindle employees believe that they have the right to check on the books that they sold you even after the purchase was completed. If I buy a paperback book from Amazon, I don't give the company the key from my home along with my blessing to enter my house whenever they want and see how that book is doing. Yet, the Kindle's customer support does just that.

I used to have the Kindle application installed on my android phone when one of their employees decided to access my phone without my permission (and he was dumb enough to even write me an e-mail about it). Let's just say that, in my entire life, I never wrote a nastier reply to a company...

Yes, Kobo is slow when turning the page, but it's still faster than me doing it manually with a physical book. In the end, the difference between 0.5 and 0.2 of a second has little impact on my reading experience.
Andreiuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreiuta View Post

I used to have the Kindle application installed on my android phone when one of their employees decided to access my phone without my permission (and he was dumb enough to even write me an e-mail about it). Let's just say that, in my entire life, I never wrote a nastier reply to a company...

Yes, Kobo is slow when turning the page, but it's still faster than me doing it manually with a physical book. In the end, the difference between 0.5 and 0.2 of a second has little impact on my reading experience.
Actually the speed difference is caused by the device the app is on. On Kobo the e INK screen is a little slower to page change but if you use an app running on a LCD screen the page turn speed would be the same as Kindle on your phone I think. Kindle devices are slower than the phone. At least Kobo on my Literati is faster than page turning on my Astak e Ink device. But as you say, both are fast enough.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #18
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
As long as the ads is as they show them now - only on the screensaver (which I see for a second or two while it wakes up) and the home page (which I rarely see) I could live with it. Especially for ads like the ones they tout on the site (a half-price gift certificate, a $1 mp3 download, $68 in savings on audible books) - i.e. savings on top of savings for things I'd be buying anyway. Heck, if you took advantage of just those 3 you could be getting $88 in savings right there - add in that clothing one that saves $20 and you've almost paid for the $114 K3. Over time, those savings could pay for the entire K3. I don't want ads to be popping up in the middle of my books, but as a screensaver or at the bottom of the home page, wouldn't bother me. If I were in the market for a K3 I'd jump on it.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #19
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I don't want ads to be popping up in the middle of my books, but as a screensaver or at the bottom of the home page, wouldn't bother me.
They get their foot in the door and it's a slippery slope.

Where does it end.

Maybe next you'll see a little ad down in the corner of each page.

Personally, I'd pay not to see any ads.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #20
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
They get their foot in the door and it's a slippery slope.

Where does it end.

Maybe next you'll see a little ad down in the corner of each page.

Personally, I'd pay not to see any ads.
i as well would personally pay to not see ads because once you have it, who's to stop them from adding an ad in the middle of their books as well? you turn 5-10 pages and then an ad then a couple page flips and back to page 11.

i never pay attention to them anyway and that extra page flip isn't big in the grand scheme of things but for an extra 25 dollars for the life of the product i'd stick to the 139 version.

i have zero problems with my kobo and it does what it's intended for, bells free eink reader.

i think with the ad idea they are trying to drive sales 2 ways.
1-people would save the 25 bucks and take the cheaper kindle
2-people that were on the fence are happy that there is a cheaper kindle but then the ad free version is 25 bucks more and will go for that one as well.

works both ways for kindle i guess.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Heck, if you took advantage of just those 3 you could be getting $88 in savings right there - add in that clothing one that saves $20 and you've almost paid for the $114 K3. Over time, those savings could pay for the entire K3.
I'm in the market for another Kindle and with the savings from the initial offers, my KSO will be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
i think with the ad idea they are trying to drive sales 2 ways.
1-people would save the 25 bucks and take the cheaper kindle
2-people that were on the fence are happy that there is a cheaper kindle but then the ad free version is 25 bucks more and will go for that one as well.
Then there are those (like me) who will be buying one because they want the offers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
This may be an article worth a read:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ad...-deal-with-it/
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Personally I'm happy to pay less just to see an Ad on the splash screem, at the bottom of the home screen, even when I first OPEN an ebook.
Not WHILE I read, though.

So, yes, there's a market for BOTH kind of ebook readers.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:58 PM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
No ads with my Kobo, please. I am very happy with my Kindle 3 WiFi and Kobo WiFi just as they are. And, while it's nice to save $25 upfront, if you are still paying $10 per e-book ... well, I'd prefer a "frequent buyers" club such as 15% of all purchases.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
monaski
monaski began at the beginning.

Device: none
Help me decide.

My birthday is coming up and I am planning to ask for an e-reader for my birthday but I am having a difficulty in choosing between the kindle and the kobo. Can any of you please help me decide.
monaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #26
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For some time, one of the large differences was lack of public library support for Kindle. Recently they have announced that they are adding support for borrowing of library books.

Now ignoring that, it comes down to personal choice. Kobo is a fairly basic eBook reader, Kindle (I think) is more feature rich.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #27
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Monaaski - The Kindle Library access is only coming to the USA owners, so if you are elsewhere and want library access, the Kobo is the better choice. It is a basic reader, and the Bebook and Sony readers have more features (and a higher price). Another choice I keep hearing about - the Nook and NookColor - is only available in the USA, so it is off my list, as are all the books from Barnes&Noble.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #28
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
This may be an article worth a read:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ad...-deal-with-it/
Any article that takes that sort of snarky tone ("That's my opinion. Deal with it!") won't get any points from me.

If all the readers eventually show ads in the books themselves, I'll be going back to paper books. The problem with doing this in an e-book format is that you're a captive audience and you have no say in the matter. You have to look at the stupid ad (and use battery juice in the process), even if you want to just flip past it.

We're bombarded with enough ads as it is. I'm old enough to remember when going to the movies meant that you didn't have to sit through the same commercials as you did at home. Hands off the e-books, greedy people!
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #29
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Will you be able to use the Kobo dictionary feature on library books?
Will you be able to go to a page number in a library book?
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The Goto option yes, as it is available on both Kobo format books and ePubs (and libraries make use of OverDrive which is DRM based ePubs).

However, Dictionary only works in Kobo format books, so will not work on library books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote