Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #241
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Then Sigil got the location of the ncx wrong somehow. Perhaps because it had to guess.
i will look into it.

KevinH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #242
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
People also need to keep in mind that the "Sigil used to be able to open this epub" mantra is not always going to be relevant after Sigil v1.0. The open "As Is" direction that Sigil is moving toward means that there could be broken epubs that Sigil might not be able to open successfully. Our primary goal is to make sure that none of those scenarios crashes Sigil. But now that Sigil is no longer in the business of overhauling, reorganizing and correcting each and every epub it opens (every time it opens them), there are going to be epubs encountered that might be broken enough to cause problems. Sigil is no longer going to be the automagic fixer of every conceivable error that that some epub's creators have inflicted on them. At the very least, an error-free OPF is going to be pretty-much a pre-requisite for ensuring that epubs can be opened in a functioning/editable state.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-03-2019 at 10:25 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #243
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes - 100% of what DiapDealer said above!

Okay, this was in fact a bug that is hit only when the spine was missing the toc attribute.

I had to literally rewrite the LocateOrCreateNCX routine in ImportEPUB.cpp because it was very broken and had devolved into a mass of conflicting spaghetti "if clauses" with no sanity at all that I just could not follow.

I have now pushed that rewrite to master.

Your test case now works properly on my machine.

Please test this with any other broken ncx related epubs you might have in your collection.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Sorry, I meant TOC entry not bookmark.

Clicking on any entry in the TOC pane gets the error popup about a filename starting with "OEBPS/OEBPS/..." does not exist.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #244
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please test this with any other broken ncx related epubs you might have in your collection.
Thanks Kevin, working perfectly now! If I open the epub I get the "did not identify NCX file" warning, and Sigil updates the <spine> line in the OPF to <spine toc="ncx">. TOC entries work as expect. Saving and re-opening the epub with the updated spine entry then works perfectly with no errors or warnings on open.

Thanks!
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #245
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
People also need to keep in mind that the "Sigil used to be able to open this epub" mantra is not always going to be relevant after Sigil v1.0. The open "As Is" direction that Sigil is moving toward means that there could be broken epubs that Sigil might not be able to open successfully. Our primary goal is to make sure that none of those scenarios crashes Sigil. But now that Sigil is no longer in the business of overhauling, reorganizing and correcting each and every epub it opens (every time it opens them), there are going to be epubs encountered that might be broken enough to cause problems. Sigil is no longer going to be the automagic fixer of every conceivable error that that some epub's creators have inflicted on them. At the very least, an error-free OPF is going to be pretty-much a pre-requisite for ensuring that epubs can be opened in a functioning/editable state.
So the goal is for Sigil to be able to open a potentially dud epub without crashing and then let you run the epubcheck so you can fix any OPF problems yourself?

If you (Diap, Kevin) are happy for me to report anything that doesn't work as expected, I'm happy if some of the responses are "fix the damn OPF, then see if there's still a problem".

And thanks again for all the work that goes in to this great editor.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #246
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So the goal is for Sigil to be able to open a potentially dud epub without crashing and then let you run the epubcheck so you can fix any OPF problems yourself?
To a large extent, yes.

Quote:
If you (Diap, Kevin) are happy for me to report anything that doesn't work as expected, I'm happy if some of the responses are "fix the damn OPF, then see if there's still a problem".
Works for me!
Old 12-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #247
BiggusDiggus
BiggusDiggus began at the beginning.

Device: device
Can someone explain this please: i have no glue what this means

Error info: Cannot load file /Users/xyz/Downloads/x.epub: /private/var/folders/mv/yh12pg850x565ymz2xwhxlvr0000gn/T/Sigil-SjhZWy/OEBPS/: Is a directory
Sigil version: 0.9.991
Runtime Qt: 5.12.3
Compiled Qt: 5.12.3
BiggusDiggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #248
KevinH
Wizard

Unless you are specifically looking to test and report back on failures, you should not be using Sigil-0.9.991 as there has already been reported a large number of bugs (and fixes for them are in master). You should probably stick with the normal (non-alpha) build.

Yes it means your .epub file is not a .epub file (ie. a zip container) and is instead a folder. You probably have your machine set up to unzip zip archives on download. This is probably not the best idea.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #249
BiggusDiggus

I got this as a rar file and unrared it. And the epub file is a epub file not a folder. I can open the file with betterzip, and if i open it with coteditor it look like this

Quote:
PKqƒO META-INF/PKHxOt\`
META-INF/container.xml]Ž
0D‚*z“д UA€˜nk0
M*
E3ožƒeR^@ -
.}œ
%)NA“dl;
It definitely has the signature of a zip file...
Old 12-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #250
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDiggus View Post
That doesn't make it an epub. What's your Sigil question?
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #251
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggusDiggus View Post
I got this as a rar file and unrared it. And the epub file is a epub file not a folder. I can open the file with betterzip, and if i open it with coteditor it look like this

Have you tried opening it with a epub reader program (ADE, etc.). Importing it into calibre? Open it with a zip utility (my preference is 7Zip) and looking at the structure. Feeding it to an online epubcheck?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #252
KevinH
Wizard

And that zip was not created by an epub zip program as the very first entry should be a mimetype file without any encryption.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #253
KevinH
Wizard

Please try again with Sigil-0.9.18 and see if loading the file succeeds. As I said before, the alpha release has had quite a few bugs reported and fixed.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54 AM   #254
Youshi
Youshi began at the beginning.

Device: Many
The modification of toc.ncx is over.

epub3 works with nav.xhtml, and toc.ncx is only prepared formally for backward compatibility.
There are many epub that have nothing written on toc.ncx or that don't have it.
Is there any follow-up to epub3 with this modification?

Isn't this problem caused by toc.ncx as the main?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=325162
Youshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 AM   #255
BiggusDiggus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That doesn't make it an epub. What's your Sigil question?
You don't have to bother rewriting if you don't care. Just say it.

Its not a folder. Its a zip file. As i said i can open it with better zip. I cant see anything in the zip file which is wrong.

IThe problem i've already mentioned. Sigils error message is saying som,ething that this is a folder which isnt the case. So either something is wrong with the epub file, or something is wrong in Sigil. Definitely wrong is the error message. Thats related to Sigil, vecause Sigil is throwing this error message.

But just let it be. When I get such stupid answers, I don't feel like it anymore. I will just extract all files and rebuild the epub from scratch.

By the way: ADE is displaying this "folder" without any problems.

Was a waste of time signing me in.