Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-01-2019, 12:21 AM   #1
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" to replace my Kindle Fire

I have been using a Kindle Fire 7" for about 3 years. As a reader it is great.
But the battery is no longer lasting a week and the REAL annoying thing is simply going from the main screen into my library can take 20+ seconds. Many other parts of the interface are very slow.

It is a great e-reader but under-powered as a tablet.

So Labor Day sales has a 32 Gig Samsung Galaxy A 8" for a good price. I have used Moon+Reader years ago on an older android tablet and I love the idea of bouncing between my Kindle library and things I can load on a SD card. (Although my un-read Kindle library is pushing 150 books so the reality is there will be very few non-kindle books really being used). I do like the idea of the occasionally faster web browsing and perhaps a few simple games.

Any opinions on the 32 Gig Tablet A to replace my kindle?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 02:35 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
well you risk going from a battery that lasts a 1/2 week to a battery that lasts 1/2 a day at best . other than that it's proabbly a good move
the KF slowness will probably be cured by a hard reset, [ google it] or as a last resort a factory reset.
you should expect to be charging any tablet overnight. amazon tablets lose ~10% charge nightly on standby even if unused
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Kindle Fire and last year's Galaxy tab A 10". Actually I have 3 Kindle Fires, all fairly new. The Galaxy Tab gets quite a bit better battery life than the Kindle Fires. My Fires are 2 7" ones and an 8" one. All are 2018 models.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

all batteries deteriorate when used a lot
i replaced by samsung tab s1 after using it several hours daily for a year, because the battery was struggling to last an evening, ( and I did not fancy trying a DIY battery replacement - even if that is possible)
a new tablet should have better battery life than a 2nd hand one.
the Kindle fire 7 [ if its the one with Kindle in the name] was last made in 2012 so its battery will be near end of life now
my ( newer) Fire HDX and Fire HD tablet batteries are still good,
Old 09-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I read a review that said the text on the Galaxy A was a bit pixilated and blocky. Since it's main use is an e-reader, this is a big issue.

I think I am going to trade-in one of the old kindles and get a newer 8" Fire. Thanks for all the comments.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Had one Hated it! Side load an Ebook it gets Lost Download ebook to Amazon App 1/2 got lost! 2 Days later I returned it!

"I have been using a Kindle Fire 7" for about 3 years. As a reader it is great.
But the battery is no longer lasting a week and the REAL annoying thing is simply going from the main screen into my library can take 20+ seconds. Many other parts of the interface are very slow."

Sounds like Fire hung up indexing. Remove the Last ebooks you added then Re-Download them one at a time.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 09-07-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
I read a review that said the text on the Galaxy A was a bit pixilated and blocky. Since it's main use is an e-reader, this is a big issue.

I think I am going to trade-in one of the old kindles and get a newer 8" Fire. Thanks for all the comments.
the fires ( except for the fire 10 HD have 1280 x 800 screens screens so their text will be no better than the galaxy - and may be exactly the same pixel-wise.

e.g. Fire HD 8 The tablet comes with a 8.00-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels at a pixel density of 189 pixels per inch (ppi). that's not great for an e-reader.
compared to Kindle Paperwhite 3 ... 6-inch, 1440×1080, 300 ppi

ppi is what you should be comparing for crispness of text.

you need to check exact models though, because samsung make some with screens like that but also some more expensive ones with full HD 1920 x 1200. that will translate into a much higher ppi
Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDog View Post
I read a review that said the text on the Galaxy A was a bit pixilated and blocky. Since it's main use is an e-reader, this is a big issue...
Galaxy A is a range of phones, from el cheapo to lower mid range. I can imagine the cheap ones possibly not having very good displays but I have never had a look at one to be able to comment.

Conversely I have used Galaxy Tab A tablets from the smaller ones up to 10.5 inch and their displays are not "a bit pixilated and blocky". My reading device for a number of years has been a Tab A 10.1 inch and now a Tab A 10.5 inch, you will find that they are widely used as readers.

Just correcting the perception you seem to have put forward and which may be seen by others; am not trying to influence you in your reader choice, that is entirely your business.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

i used to read on a tab s1 10.5 inch and that was fine, but it had a full HD 1920 x 1200 display

the "bad" combination for reading would be a 10+ inch screen that was only 1280 x 800

at 8 inches, 1280 x 800 will be acceptable, but higher resolutions may be noticeably better if you are fussy or have good eyesight

its notable that Amazon ( who are usually into scaling down or dropping features to get unit costs down ) actually increased the screen resolution and thus the ppi in their paperwhite from gen 3 onward. That suggests that their feedback from customers or their market research indicated that higher ppi was needed.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
chrispche
chrispche began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo TB-7304F
I've just bought that exact model. It's great. I managed to keep it charged for 58 hours before plugging it back in. That's with heavy ebook reading and the occasional YouTube video. I'm very impressed with performance and battery life. Mind you I had it in aircraft mode while reading then jump on the 4G network for when I do Internet stuff. I have the LTE 4G version which my carrier EE supplied to me.

Sent from my SM-T295 using Tapatalk
chrispche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #11
mrgrtt123
mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrgrtt123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
It is a good device to read online, my Mom uses one at home. She prefers using this tablet compared to the iPad 2.
mrgrtt123 is offline   Reply With Quote