Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 AM   #106
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi da_jane!

This could be due to the fact that the pages with the same size will be merged and if for example a single page has some extra lines extending the "normal" page area this extra lines will be very transparent and hence not easily recognizable on the merged image. This is sometimes the case with scanned pdfs.
OR
its a bug. In this case I would ask you to send me the pdf to gerhardtt@gmx.at and I will have a look at it.

Greetings,
laborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #107
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
^^^^^^
Do you really mean to post your email address ????
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 AM   #108
laborg
Zealot
laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.laborg has top level security clearance to Area 51.

More spam on this address doesn't worry me...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:12 PM   #109
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
okay .... just checking
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #110
laborg
Zealot

hi!

Just release version 0.0.10. From the changelog:
* fixed issure where a trim or bleed box would influence the cropping behaviour
* smaller file size through newer libraries
* itext
* jpedal

More functionality will follow in future releases, although there's now real road map available.

best regards,
Gerhard
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #111
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Thanks.. great tool. I do not have to install bloated ADobe Acrobat.

I hope you can add some setting for us to control the brightness of the cluster or preview pages. Or maybe help us to find the border - find the maximum width that can be cropped without losing any text..something like that would be coool.
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #112
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawater View Post
Thanks.. great tool. I do not have to install bloated ADobe Acrobat.

I hope you can add some setting for us to control the brightness of the cluster or preview pages. Or maybe help us to find the border - find the maximum width that can be cropped without losing any text..something like that would be coool.
This would be a nice feature, though there are other ways of accomplishing that. E.g., you could use e.g., sopdf or a combination of ghostscript and calibre. You could even use those a in batch file that autocrops all the PDFs in a folder. Some instructions here.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #113
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Some instructions here.
Interesting article - thank you.

However, it has inadvertently resurrected a bug-bear I raised earlier in this thread. When I use Briss my screen looks like the first image below. What I would prefer is for it to look like the second image which I (shamelessly) lifted from the referenced PDF cropping article. Can I do this? If so, how? Am I doing something wrong?

I'm using Windows XP and my screen resolution is 1920x1200.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	briss_mine.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	59214   Click image for larger version

Name:	briss_yours.jpg
Views:	2242
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	59215  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #114
laborg
Zealot

Hi jackie_w!

This might sound stupid but what is the problem with the looks of the first screenshot? Except the yellow misplaced help text it doesn't look to bad to me. The only thing i can think of which might bother you is the extra scrolling....

greetings,
gerhard
Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #115
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for quick reply, Gerhard. Two things really.

1. I can't get both odds & evens on screen at the same time.

2. When trying to split each page in half the second layout helps me to match boxes 3/4 to boxes 1/2 when I draw them. I know I can use the maximise buttons but I often end up with all 4 boxes being slightly too big.

I know I'm probably being nit-picky but now I've seen the layout others have I WANT IT TOO!

Edit: Strike Item 1, it's rubbish!

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-02-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #116
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

The PDF from my screenshot was had two facing pages scanned on to on the same page of the PDF, which was laid out landscape. It's not showing multiple PDF pages side-by-side. It's just that my PDF is a different kind of document than yours.

I suppose you could use a PDF 2-up program to combine the pages, then load them into BRISS. What's your operating system?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #117
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The PDF from my screenshot was had two facing pages scanned on to on the same page of the PDF, which was laid out landscape. It's not showing multiple PDF pages side-by-side. It's just that my PDF is a different kind of document than yours.
Oh, now I'm disappointed (and feeling a little foolish) I thought your layout was exactly how I wanted mine to look.

I'm using Windows XP, but I think I'd rather stick with existing look&feel than do 2 PDF transformations and any extra complications which may arise. My knowledge of the inner workings of PDF format and features is pretty limited. Thank you for trying to help, though.

Briss is still a great little utility - despite the "Brazilian wax" look.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #118
frabjous
Wizard

It's been awhile since I used Windows, but creating a 2-up PDF shouldn't require any rocket science. Some great (free/open source) software you might want to know about anyway is pdfcreator. This works as a virtual printer. You "print" to it from any application and it yields a PDF. If memory serves you can tell it how many pages of the output you want per page of the generated PDF. If you choose two, you'd get something like what appears in my screenshot. (You can also choose four or six, etc.) So you can create 2-ups from any application. (And if you already have a single-page PDF, you can print that PDF to PDFCreator to create a new 2-up one.)
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #119
aquawater
Enthusiast
aquawater began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
This would be a nice feature, though there are other ways of accomplishing that. E.g., you could use e.g., sopdf or a combination of ghostscript and calibre. You could even use those a in batch file that autocrops all the PDFs in a folder. Some instructions here.
Thanks for introducing soPDF.. I will try it later...although personally prefer some GUI

To laborg.. here is my wish list..
1. Provides a hint or grid lines that get the actual boundary box and encompasses all content
2. Retain PDF page numbering.. some pdf start page 1 with i, ii, ... and it will be helpful for navigating to pages according to its TOC
aquawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #120
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Cool!...

On another thread, I just posted my looooong roundabout method to crop multiple columns using Acrobat Pro and Lupas rename... LOL... Can't wait to try BRISS, downloading it now.

Cheers,

Andy
playful is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cropping pdf, pdf