Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 PM   #61
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
On my H2O 1 it adjusts as you slide your finger up and down the left side of the screen, just like a dimmer switch. I use it often.
Hey, you're right! The two finger slide works like a dimmer again too. It had been broken for so long, I stopped checking it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #62
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
On my H2O 1 it adjusts as you slide your finger up and down the left side of the screen, just like a dimmer switch. I use it often.
Ah, I was thinking of the Aura One where the light adjusts after you lift up your finger. Good to hear they've fixed this on the H20.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #63
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Ah, I was thinking of the Aura One where the light adjusts after you lift up your finger. Good to hear they've fixed this on the H20.
I don't think I've seen any firmware version where the side-swipe to adjust the light wasn't live. That is on both my Aura H2O and Aura ONE.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:56 PM   #64
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't think I've seen any firmware version where the side-swipe to adjust the light wasn't live. That is on both my Aura H2O and Aura ONE.
I have an Aura, not an H2O or One. I don't think sliding on the side of the screen adjusts brightness (or I'm doing it wrong). Instead you slide up and down with two fingers to do the same thing.

That feature did not adjust the light live from firmware 3.19(?) up to at least 4.3.8945. You would slide your fingers up or down while the screen remained at the same brightness. When you let go, the light would adjust. Another user on here mentioned his refusal to update because that feature (that worked live on 3.15(?)) was broken in later updates.

At any rate, it's working again for me. Nice little bonus.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:06 PM   #65
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have an Aura, not an H2O or One. I don't think sliding on the side of the screen adjusts brightness (or I'm doing it wrong). Instead you slide up and down with two fingers to do the same thing.
I was responding to azayn whose description of the behaviour on the Aura ONE didn't match my experience with that device or any others that supported the side-swipe.

And I have to admit I hadn't realised that the Aura didn't support the side-swipe as well. But, it is obvious when you say it, unless they wanted to put extra options in.
Quote:
That feature did not adjust the light live from firmware 3.19(?) up to at least 4.3.8945. You would slide your fingers up or down while the screen remained at the same brightness. When you let go, the light would adjust. Another user on here mentioned his refusal to update because that feature (that worked live on 3.15(?)) was broken in later updates.
I don't remember anyone describing the two-finger light adjustment on the Aura like that. I thought the complaint was it either just didn't work, or was to erratic to be reliable.
Quote:
At any rate, it's working again for me. Nice little bonus.
That's good to hear.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #66
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Well, I'm going to weigh in on the "Function Trumps Form" end because primarily my belief is that while using the E-reader I'd prefer it to virtually disappear... I wonder that the desire may also express itself in so many being available only in basic black, along with lower costs of manufacture, simpler supply chain logistics, etc.

However, I see no reason why Kobo or others couldn't produce a device similar to an 8" Nuvision tablet, TM800W610, that comes in a nice aluminum shell for a reasonable price as Nuvision managed to shoe-horn in an X5-Z8300 capable of running the full 64Bit version of Windows 10 and a capacitive touchscreen(admittedly LCD). With anodizing it could be pretty tough, lightweight, and doesn't have to be an 8" device. A similar design around an available e-ink screen with capacitive touch would be more than acceptable. The TM800W610 I have measures about 1/2" wider than my Kobo Glo at 8.30 x 4.90 x 0.30" weighing about 9.6 ounces while the Kobo with a 6" screen is about 6.2 x 4.5 x .4" @ 6.5 ounces.

What I'd like to see is a device like that based on X86 Android, or straight Android with a suitable processor, so one might get other uses from the tablet/E-reader. The biggest stumbling block might be the screen, but we've seen e-ink displays capable of faster output to deal with video, etc.

Honestly, all told the Nuvision makes a half decent reader with the LCD display, but of course, the power usage is quite high, so the e-ink would be great for that.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 AM   #67
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I buy an ereader to read -- crazy, right? So I don't need "exciting" and "innovative" hardware. I just need something that's comfortable to hold, simple to operate, and that basically stays out of my way so that I can enjoy the adventures of Captain Jack Aubrey and Dr. Stephen Maturin.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I buy an ereader to read -- crazy, right? So I don't need "exciting" and "innovative" hardware.
And yet the Aura 2 was slammed for being a step backwards. E-readers don't need to be cutting edge. But there is plenty of room for innovation and excitement in design that wouldn't break the primary experience of reading.

The biggest problem for e-reader innovation is the price war B&N started with Amazon. When e-readers cost a bit more, there were more players in the market. Once the concept changed to 'the device is essentially sold at cost to hook you to our ecosystem' many players (notably Sony) dropped out.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #69
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I disagree. Creative designs help in marketing the device. If they all look the same as they do now, then how do they stand out? What sets Kobo apart to the Walmart consumer who doesn't understand or care about comparative specs? What quickens the pulse and catches the eye when Kindles and Kobos are identical from a distance?
Exactly... Additionally, being able to choose the colour/design you most like (once you know which technical specifications best fit your usage of course) gives you a more personal(ised) device. I've always been disappointed that the colour choices and shape and texture of the back of the device Kobo gave with the Touch weren't continued. Device colour options are better than skins as you get to feel the texture of the device rather than the slippery skin sticker. It gives a much more comfortable grip, especially with the texture Kobo added to the back of some (?) of their devices. (I always use s case only as a protection when the reader is not being used. A stay-on case only adds bulk and weight to the device and thus defeats some of the benefits of an ereader compared to a paper book, in my opinion.)

As for black or white bezel: I always preferred white, as I see it as a page margin. You don't get wide black edges around a paper book page either... so I'm quite sad that all the newer Kobo devices are only a available in black. I'm hoping the Clara HD will bring back design options... though I doubt it will, as there probably is a good reason everything is now choicelsss black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
And I would like Bluetooth remote page turning.
Nah, just an eyeball movement tracking mini camera with automatic page turns would suit me perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo-Touch-Reviews.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	163646  
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #70
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
I love my Kobo Aura 1, just battery is not as good as in my Kobo H2O. Big screen and a lot of settings and side loaded features.
I love my Kindle Oasis 1 as well, buttons and speed and dictionaries, all that are better than on Kobos.
Nothing is perfect. I stick with KA1 at home and Oasis on the go... )) I want 10" reader from Kobo or Amazon with buttons and backlit. I wish they will create one.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:33 PM   #71
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
(I always use s case only as a protection when the reader is not being used. A stay-on case only adds bulk and weight to the device and thus defeats some of the benefits of an ereader compared to a paper book, in my opinion.)
And I'm just the opposite there, I always have my reader in a case for protection. I want to be able to just flip it closed so I can jump off the subway or train at the last minute (as in I didn't notice that "hey, that's my stop!" until the last minute). And just in case I do a silly fumble while reading, it'll have some protection (which I have done and no readers have been harmed yet). I do go for the lightest/thinnest covers I can though. When I hold the naked reader, I always have the feeling there's not quite enough in my hands to keep a good grip on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
As for black or white bezel: I always preferred white, as I see it as a page margin. You don't get wide black edges around a paper book page either...
I'm sure this is totally subjective depending on individual eyesight, surrounding light and reader light intensity, but I always find that a black bezel makes the text appear darker for myself. Reading against a white background makes the text look more gray than black.

But as I said, it's all subjective, and I'm very happy ereaders and accessories are versatile enough so most everyone can have their choices for their own individual comfort. Does Nook still make the shiny white bezels on their readers?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #72
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've been reading these comments and it just seems to me that there's a profound mismatch.

E-Ink readers are a fairly niche market and that's why there's no real innovation anywhere. New colours or designs won't really attract any more new customers to the table - those who need a new device will simply pick from those available based on convenience/preferred book market/price, etc. They will clearly and consistently do so against their design sense - as evidenced by many people on this thread - and the added costs of achieving variety don't really make sense when people will still buy whatever they decide is adequate to sell. To me that's a bit like asking why did a T-Model Ford come in black only. On the other hand, increased usability is what I believe might ultimately attract more buyers, but I don't see that happening any time soon, either.

Think about it - never mind the design, the hardware in these devices is woefully underpowered, to the point that even PDF handling is a challenge for the majority of them. The only genuine excitement for the tech that I've ever registered is when a new E-Ink screen generation would come along - but that's not exclusively related to e-readers. That's clearly the manufacturing company trying to expand, to involve various other fields or applications, attract other businesses. And that's where innovation is required. The e-readers themselves don't drive any innovation, they are purposefully curbing the industry from going forward in all aspects. When they tout their screens, they are praising technology they neither invented nor marketed.

Because at the moment the hardware is so limited that you can only comfortably use it for reading certain formats, you end up with a small and crowded market of very similar things, and a close-knit community of similarly-minded folk. The fact that people are used to some defects doesn't mean that they're impossible to fix, and that goes for both design and tech. If you took an Aura One and stuck in more RAM and a decent processor, optimised it better, it would have passable if not adequate PDF capabilities and, for example, usable pinch, zoom, and page turn features. Things that might sway more people to test these devices and try and use them. But that won't happen until it hurts corporate profit margins. because noone wants to raise the bar in any regard.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #73
pablitoclav
http://i.imgur.com/Bp1X5m
pablitoclav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What makes e-readers entretaining are the books you put inside, not the plastic design
pablitoclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 AM   #74
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Well i think PDF is just a horrible format to begi nwith so i can understand that they wont run smoothly. I think they use these type of cpu/ram so that it wont eat to much battery. I think the market is limited due to the high price.... i mean you can get a nice android tablet with color screen for almost hald the price of the e-readers so i guess that many people just buy a tablet to do some reading and the hardcore reading fans will buy a e-reader. They say the prices are high due to the screens but a new replacement screen is like 35 euro so that cant be the problem.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #75
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablitoclav View Post
What makes e-readers entretaining are the books you put inside, not the plastic design
True that... its all bout the content but i know some people buy goods for the design and looks like most apple branded people. I think the software side is the nr1 feature ill take over looks any day.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, kindle, kobo, nook, onyx