Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
genivcom
genivcom began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Just got my Kobo Aura One. disappointed no zoom/magin lock or file browser

Like title said I just got my Kobo Aura One.

It is to replace my Sony PRS-950.

I needed something with higher resolution screen and larger reading surface. Getting old. can't see as well :P and can't afford a 11 or 12" eink readers that cost $600

I got a lot of PDFs that I just drag and drops entire folders to my sony reader.
and with it there is a file browers (I think I put in a custom firmware update).

anyway with the sony I can zoom in a certain level and move the image around so it is centered once it is zoomed in and center I can "lock" the view. So the next page turn it will be zoomed and centered.

no such "lock" function on the Kobo though the zoom locks but not the magine. I would have to move the image/page to center again... can't do that page after page...

I read the manual didn't seee that option. is it possible?
genivcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Short version: not currently possible with stock firmware.
Some of the alternate patches you can add (i.e. Koreader) may do it (can't remember). No jailbreak required to add them.

Last edited by robko; 02-28-2018 at 10:47 PM.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
KOReader is an addon reader program that many find handles PDF documents much better than the stock Kobo or Kindle software. Once the Kobo Start Menu is installed you can launch into the stock Kobo Nickel interface or KOReader or Coolreader or Plato readers. With Tshering's KSM9 all you need to do to install KOReader & Sergey's Launcher (with his Coolreader port, as well as games and utilities) is to copy the "koreader" and the "vlasovsoft" folders into the .adds directory, that KSM creates. The folders are inside the download packages.

Both KOReader and Coolreader use a normal file browser and whatever file structure you wish. If you put the files you don't want to use in the stock readers into a "hidden" folder (a folder/directory that is named with a leading dot/period, like .PDFs or .books) they will not be processed into the stock database.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-01-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Kobo Aura One KOReader PDF Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oSOeAnD10&t=1s

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-01-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #5
genivcom

Unhappy

thanks everyone. I was able to install

KBstartmen09
Koreader
pbchess/coolreader.

Koreader is pretty good MUCH better that that crippled Nickle.

Coolreader seems good but it seems to have issue opening 80% of my PDF.
when I goto open file it list some PDF as folder.
Does CoolReader even support PDF?

so if I tap on my book it goes into an empty directory.

Last edited by issybird; 03-05-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Language.
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
No Coolreader wasn't for PDF reading.

"so if I tap on my book it goes into an empty directory" not sure what you are referring to?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
genivcom

thanks again everyone. I realize coolreader is not for PDF now.

paid the $5.44 to register pdbchess.
my Kobo is much more useful now. with pbchess and Koreader.
Nickel was so useless for my needs that I was about to return it.