Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 07:43 PM   #61
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Don't get me wrong in some ways having mulitiple things on a screen can be good. At my university we have two monitors per pc..it does make some things easier rather that adjusting the windows over and over again.

I guess I could somewhat see it if there was a reference to pages prior. Let's say they enact hyperlinks on pdf's and there's a citation. In a book citations are in the back so technically with the book you would be going back and forth and thus this could make potential sense.

I think this would be more of a feasible upgrade in the software in the future rather than a hardware issue.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #62
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
On a Kindle, you are FORCED to have margins that are a bit large. There is nothing you can do to change that.
You are wrong.That issued has been solved now in the other thread
called:-

"Is it possible to completely remove the right and left margins?"

YOU CAN ADJUST IN READER.PREF FILE!

so you can now adjust the margins ...yipppeeeeeee.

While I was writing this it occurred to me that the 2 page software could simply put a Grey colored line between the 2 columns/pages and this serve as a crease between the 2 pages!
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:03 AM   #63
arenee202
arenee202 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Im looking for an Ebook that can give me two pages

WOW the people that have no idea why you would want two pages...have you ever read books requiring your to think or a book so you can study??? Yes yes your romance novels and fiction books seems pointless to have two pages..lol but if your wondering so much try to think a little more outside the box besides newspapers. I only want an ebook with two pages..formulas, rxn's,equations,statistics all are long enoph to contine to the next page and you want to connect the dots with no aggervation you. I dont want to have to be flipping one page back and one page forward, read some more and flip back to the graph ect. and flip forward again and read more. when It would be soooo much easier to have it right there the two pages like a book. Biology..any biology has rxn's and many graphs and tables..you wouldnt think so buy many of these are extremely long and complex ya know. A person can compare and contrast such things so much better with two pages!!!! Ive never used an Ebook and I know it would be a hassel.
arenee202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #64
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
vugtitan, sorry for the jerks who as you can see are new to this forum and have not learned that MR people try to be respectful. As far as I know there is no way to show two pages in a MOBI book on a Kindle.

For the jerks, this is a very legitimate question. Especially if you own a DX as landscape is so big that two pages would be a great option. Even on a 7" screen like the Sony PRS-900 two page display is nice. I had one and it made landscape mode much better. For some people it might be a good option on a 6" screen too. Perhaps you narrowminded jerks should enlighten your horizons.
I find it funny that in one breath you state how respectful MR people are and in the next call people jerks. Do you not consider yourself a MR person that you don't need to be respectful to those with opposing views?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #65
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
You are wrong.That issued has been solved now in the other thread
called:-

"Is it possible to completely remove the right and left margins?"

YOU CAN ADJUST IN READER.PREF FILE!

so you can now adjust the margins ...yipppeeeeeee.

While I was writing this it occurred to me that the 2 page software could simply put a Grey colored line between the 2 columns/pages and this serve as a crease between the 2 pages!
If you had a faint line that served as a crease, it would be no different from having just a single page. Your eyes would not recognize it as 2 separate columns, hence the need for margins.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #66
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It's easier to chunk text in columns you can actually read much faster if you are starting out speed reading, also a split view would be nice for annotations / dictionary view.

I could see people using it for poetry and such, like a 70/30 view landscape would be great, having text on the left and important words/notes/highlights on the right. . .

I suggested this to the amazon dev team.. where you could put your cursor @ a word and click it to have it instantly put a dictionary/wikipedia definition inline but they ignore everything =(

Also if your book has a lot of short lines and natural whitespace (like poetry/plays) it will have LOTS of wasted whitespace in landscape mode >50% of the page will be wasted. Going to 2 page view in cases such as this would actually save space and make content look better. I can see the need for it, but it is content specific.

Another feature that would be nice is a way to switch from LOCATION view to LINE#+PAGE# view.. Because sometimes being able to see the LINE# is important. I don't even see what is so difficult about doing it. With a monospace font, 1 line could consist of X user defined characters, and Y lines could consist of 1 page, chapter breaks = start of new page as well.

I could think of many applications where I would like to be able to see line numbers and page numbers... again, poetry-plays-coding.

Most decent text editors will even tell you the line number, if not the col number when you move your cursor to that location in the text as well =X

Last edited by curstpriest; 01-12-2011 at 02:02 AM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:15 PM   #67
rjhodgkins
rjhodgkins began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
My ipad mini and Kindle Fire 8" have cases that allow standing without holding in my hand but they are in landscape mode. I often read while eating with both hands. Very few cases have a vertical stand feature. That's why I'd like to two page view like the kindle app on the ipad mini.
rjhodgkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:54 PM   #68
PatrickJennings
PatrickJennings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Two-page spreads not uncommon in publishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtxeule View Post
why do you want 2 pages, do you read both on a pbook? i doubt it...
I've begun publishing photo books and magazines which utilize a 2-page spread for presentation. Sometimes, a photo will span more than one page. Other times the text accompanying a photo (say, for example, a poem in a very large font) appears on the opposite page. The presentation works best when text and photo appear together.

It's a cryin' shame that while my Kobo and PDF customers can enjoy the full experience of my books and magazines, Kindle readers generally can't.

~
Patrick
http://PixToWords.com
PatrickJennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:56 PM   #69
PatrickJennings
PatrickJennings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
This is precisely how Adobe Acrobat presents a 2-page spread.
PatrickJennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:12 PM   #70
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJennings View Post
It's a cryin' shame that while my Kobo and PDF customers can enjoy the full experience of my books and magazines, Kindle readers generally can't.
It doesn't say much for your photography work if you think the only thing holding a Kindle back from the "full experience" is a two-page layout.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 10:33 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
What I want is the real old fashioned book experience where I held a scroll in two hands and unrolled it from the source side while rolling it up on the destination side as I read it. Who needs the Romans and their new-fangled codices.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-30-2018 at 10:36 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #72
Marianne57
Marianne57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for imac
[QUOTE=trekchick;1074364]When I read e-books on my computer screen, I almost always use 2-page view (it just feels natural to display them that way),

In addition to having the feel of a book, showing 2 pages at a time on a kindle for imac is desirable when reading a children's book w/illustrations.
Marianne57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #73
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i can get 2 column landscape mode for kindle books and personal docs in the kindle app on my Fire tablets and in the kindle android app on my non- amazon tablet - but I recall that availabily of 2 columns varied from device to device- I think I used to have an 8 inch Fire that did not have the option, whereas the Fire HD10 and the HDX8.9 both do.

FYI it works for various send to kindle books/docs which I think all arrive as .mobi ?. some of what is working in 2 columns are actual docs 9 like web page grabs from the send to kindle chrome extension) that i have sent- others are books from humble
bundle delivered via their own send to kindle option
2 column is much easier than on the eye on a large-ish in-landscape tablet as your eye is not having to move side to side so far.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #74
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
This zombie thread was stupid in 2010 and it's still stupid. I sorry the Kindle doesn't meet the needs of this vendor. Wait, no, I'm not.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I want is the real old fashioned book experience where I held a scroll in two hands and unrolled it from the source side while rolling it up on the destination side as I read it. Who needs the Romans and their new-fangled codices.
What you really want is the original reading reexperience of drawings on a cave wall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 pages, book, display, hack, software