Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Will do.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #62
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Yeah, it has me a little confused as well, like, what's the difference btwn "PC Mode" "Windows Media Sync" and "USB Mass Storage" as options when you plug it in? I just got used to "Mount" or "Unmount" on the Droid 1.
Under the covers, its the same for other phones, but often, a phone device driver you can install for the phone will take care of it and make the mounting invisible to you.

like PC Suite for Symbian phones: If you plug the USB cable from the phone into your PC, you get a dialog on the phone how you want to use the connection "mass storage" or "PC Sync" etc. either item you choose, the card becomes unavailable to the phone, and available to the PC.
(its unmounting it on the phone and mounting it on the PC)

This also works without a specific driver, though only in mass storage mode, but the logic for unmounting can reside on the phone and windows will attempt to auto-mount anyway, so long as its not locked from still being mounted on the phone.

It should be easy for an Android manufacturer or even any 3rd party developer to design a USB utility that takes care of that smartly and invisibly.

I guess Bloatorola forgot about ease of use on that detail, cause they were busy making bloatware for telcos to make sure they have a sales channel

Last edited by N13L5; 10-02-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: don't blame android, thats vendor implementation
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 12:59 AM   #63
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
uhh... didn't realize this thread had turned into a bloodbath, since I responded to one of the early posts...

Was gonna say "don't fight over symantics" but err, what is there on a forum besides symantics to express things

Well, most manufacturers have managed to make this whole issue invisible to users at the cost of installing a ridiculous 90MB bloatware suite on your PC. And then the connection so artificially slow you're wondering if your data is taking a detour over the internet *FAIL*

Cool would be if phones had an SD slot that ejects the card after pressing a button in the OS, like Mac CD drives won't spit out the CD until its done with it.

I normally hated it not to be able to just yank the CD if the Mac was hanging on bad sectors.

But on phones, it would be nice not having to use your fingernails to get your SD card out...

what was this thread about? Oh eReaders...

I'd like my eReader not to do TOO MUCH... I don't want it to go online everytime I start it, to try and entice to buy more crap. I don't want an eReader to try and sort my library, I can sort my stuff in folders the way I want, tyvm.

That Barns & Noble eReader took so long so start up and do its own thing, by the time I could open my book, I was out of time to read.

I wonder if having an integrated dictionary is part of what makes it so slow.
Symbian might be another reason, or Java, or some bad programming choices. Its not my phone, that's got a 1Ghz processor that seems utterly wasted on this OS.

Just this morning, I got an email from Samsung with an offical notice that they're ending support for Symbian in December! Given that my i8910 is only 1 year old, I hope they provide an option to switch to Android, or at least Windoze Phone 7. I'd pay them $100 to let me switch it to Android

Last edited by N13L5; 10-02-2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: we already know windows phone 7 runs, cause microsoft was showing it off on it...
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #64
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by N13L5 View Post
from what I read here, it appears that FB Reader has a lot of features in the PC version that didn't make it into the android version yet...
The FBReader version for Android is FBReaderJ. It's a port of FBReader to Java, and lags the PC version in features.

Quote:
Cause I use it on my computer, and its got total overkill in choices on how you want to look at your books, from size to alignment to indentation, any font you got installed, it'll use, you can increase or decrease margins, and make any custom keyboard shortcuts imaginable.
I use it here, with the key attractions being support for ePub, Mobi, and Plucker files, and the fact that it's cross platform and there are versions for Windows and Linux.

(My standard ebook reader is the open source Plucker offline HTML viewer on a Palm OS device, and I roll my own ebooks by converting HTML source. I have about 4,000 documents in Plucker format, and being able to read them outside of Plucker was a major win.)

Quote:
Have any of you tried Barns and noble's eReader application, or is there no Android version yet?
<...>

However, its got one brilliant feature: if you have a supported dictionary installed, you get a lookup right in your book, without having to leave or even change pages.
Are you aware of any other readers that have that?
MobiReader has a lookup feature if you have a compatible dictionary installed, but it's specific to MobiPocket formatted documents.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #65
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yea, back on topic.
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #66
qwerty57
qwerty57 began at the beginning.

Device: i-mobile i858
Moon+ reader has been upgraded and now read epub files. It's still very slow when loading HTML files, but seems to be just a quick as Aldiko when loading epub files.

I like the way it can read books from any file, not just it's own dedicated ebook file, and all of the other features seem to be as good as Aldiko, so I'm giving it a try now.
qwerty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #67
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
No, you have not. That you actually think you have demonstrates your lack of understanding, and underscores your unwillingness to listen to those who are trying in good faith to help you understand.

The examples you have provided are of computer networks. A USB cable is not a computer network, no matter how much you think it should be.
Indeed, USB assumes a dumb device on one end and a controlling system on the other. In addition the commonly used file systems don't support multiple writers at all, even without the caching isues. I wish firewire had won, at least it was peer to peer. Though last time I saw a drive that worked with multi-writers was VMS clusters.... and SCSI drives on minis.

Maybe they should not have offered the options of 'mounting' the device as a usb storage device? That would solve the issue in what is probably the only feasable way over a usb cable and windows pc file ssytems. They could just run a fileserver on the device and make you use the wireless I suppose.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #68
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: cybook
Wow, i'm back here after a while, now with my Android phone and look at a thread about Electronic Readers for my shiny new phone.
so far i've learned people will fall out over e-reader v's ebook reader nomenclature
and there more bullshit about how USB/Memory Cards work or don't.
Who gives a toss about either in a thread about Android E(book) readers. Shame...

Anyone actually got any info on the given subject?
Like why I can't find nook reader for my phone?
Is it because I'm in the UK and it's blocked?

Ta
Jeff
jethro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #69
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro10 View Post

Anyone actually got any info on the given subject?
Like why I can't find nook reader for my phone?
Is it because I'm in the UK and it's blocked?

Ta
Jeff
Hmm, I wonder if it IS a geographic thing. I just searched on the word NOOK in the Android Market on my phone and immediately came up with Nook for Android. Do you get any choices at all when you do that?

I started the thread because I was so pleased with Aldiko as a reader on my phone. I still like it a lot. I recommend you give it a try if you can't find Nook, or something you like better. It looks really good on my phone.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #70
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Hmm, I wonder if it IS a geographic thing. I just searched on the word NOOK in the Android Market on my phone and immediately came up with Nook for Android. Do you get any choices at all when you do that?

I started the thread because I was so pleased with Aldiko as a reader on my phone. I still like it a lot. I recommend you give it a try if you can't find Nook, or something you like better. It looks really good on my phone.
Didn't find it either (Germany). Fortunately, I found a link to the file in the cloud here somewhere.
Will add the link asap.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-14-2010 at 08:54 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #71
jethro10
Enthusiast
jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jethro10 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
It finds two competitive readers, so must be doing something.
As it's not also in Germany, I'll assume it's geographic.
thanks
Jefff
Old 10-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #72
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
nook for Android

I didn't find it in the market, so do others.
So here's the link where I've got it: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's labeled "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk".

BTW: You have to use VPN of course, to purchase books from B&N. But else it's working fine.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-14-2010 at 08:55 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #73
jethro10
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I didn't find it in the market, so do others.
So here's the link where I've got it: http://m.box.net/view_shared/93t5vc7np8
It's labeled "bn.ereader_v2.2.apk".
thanks, at least i can have a look at it now!

J
Old 10-16-2010, 08:10 AM   #74
qwerty57
qwerty57 began at the beginning.

Device: i-mobile i858
I couldn't get the import feature to work either, but if I open an epub with my file manager, it asks me which program to open it with & I choose Aldiko. Then it imports the file for me!
qwerty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #75
kennyc

I am able to drag/drop files to the Aldiko import directory and then import them with the app. It is an extra step I really don't care for though. I'd prefer to just have an ebook directory that could be used by any of my ebook reader apps.