View Poll Results: What is your preferred justification
Left Justify 93 38.91%
Justified 120 50.21%
Don't care 26 10.88%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2020, 04:52 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I think it was on the Daisy or epub consortium accessibility site (or are they the same thing) and they recommended ragged right because justified causes uneven spacing between words.
When was this? Do they still recommend left justify?

Thing is, when I see an eBook that's left justified, I think whoever created the eBook is lazy and/or sloppy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:54 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Of course kepubs have variable width spaces between words. How else could it do full justification?
What's meant by variable width spacing is when the spaces can be made smaller then a normal space. RMSDK can do variable width spacing. Can KePub do that?
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 05:00 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Near as I can tell, the spacing is the same using either kepub or epub in the small sample I checked. The problem is that the only way to justify is to increase the spacing between the words and not the spacing between the characters in a word.
By default, RMSDK does hyphenation (full justify only), kerning, and variable width spaces that include smaller spaces. Access does not do this by default and that means that RMSDK can sometimes get more text per line with the same font at the same font size. More text per line means less larger spaces with RMSDK then Access.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:04 AM   #94
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
After reading 7 pages of this thread, I decided to test my vote by changing my current book to justified from left. And immediately confirmed that for me, left is right. So MUCH easier to read , "ragged right" feels much more natural and switching to fully justified had an immediate braking effect on reading speed. I do not, though, feel motivated to post endlessly that my subjective POV on this issue is intrinsically "right" by virtue of being MY subjective opinion.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:52 AM   #95
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
After reading 7 pages of this thread...
Five-and-a-half pages of which were posted a decade ago! Why did this 10 yr-old thread get resurrected a couple of days ago anyway?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #96
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What's meant by variable width spacing is when the spaces can be made smaller then a normal space. RMSDK can do variable width spacing. Can KePub do that?
I still don't understand your question.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the same book page (same font/font-size/line-height/margins). One's an epub (RMSDK), one's a kepub (not RMSDK). I'll let you guess which is which.

Can you tell me which screenshot displays the "variable spacing" you're talking about? They're not identical but both look acceptable to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wordspace1.png
Views:	160
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	179628   Click image for larger version

Name:	wordspace2.png
Views:	147
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	179629  

Last edited by jackie_w; 06-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #97
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Five-and-a-half pages of which were posted a decade ago! Why did this 10 yr-old thread get resurrected a couple of days ago anyway?
This!

but as long as I've read -well, skimmed - it, I'm going to agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I would generally prefer justified so that's what I voted for, but I really don't like when justification isn't done well. My most comfortable ereader text size is rather large and the worst is when one long word is ridiculously stretched out across a line all by itself.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #98
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Because nothing has changed?
And that might be worth considering?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #99
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
When was this? Do they still recommend left justify?
I can't find the original page that I'm remembering where it mentioned uneven spacing but search for "All body text should be left aligned" in the following:

https://www.accessiblebooksconsortiu...ublishers.html
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #100
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thing is, when I see an eBook that's left justified, I think whoever created the eBook is lazy and/or sloppy.

So I guess that would make whoever set up the mobileread web site lazy and/or sloppy? All of our posts are displayed with ragged right.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:51 PM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I still don't understand your question.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the same book page (same font/font-size/line-height/margins). One's an epub (RMSDK), one's a kepub (not RMSDK). I'll let you guess which is which.

Can you tell me which screenshot displays the "variable spacing" you're talking about? They're not identical but both look acceptable to me.
In your samples, I'm thinking that #1 is ePub and #2 is KePub.

These are two screen grabs showing the variable spacing I was talking about. One is KePub and the other is ePub. The KePub has the paragraph circled in red and the ePub in blue. You will see the one of the lines has smaller then normal spacing in ePub and in KePub, the line end in a hyphen because the spacing cannot be made smaller then normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_004.png
Views:	141
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	179631   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_003.png
Views:	151
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	179632  

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-01-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
So I guess that would make whoever set up the mobileread web site lazy and/or sloppy? All of our posts are displayed with ragged right.
A forum is completely different then an eBook. That's like comparing Apples to Grapes.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:24 PM   #103
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
These are two screen grabs showing the variable spacing I was talking about. One is KePub and the other is ePub. The KePub has the paragraph circled in red and the ePub in blue. You will see the one of the lines has smaller then normal spacing in ePub and in KePub, the line end in a hyphen because the spacing cannot be made smaller then normal.
Where in the line does it change from smaller spacing to normal spacing?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #104
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
In your samples, I'm thinking that #1 is ePub and #2 is KePub.
Actually, no, #1 is the kepub. ... which just goes to show that, although each is slightly different, one is not noticeably "better" at word spacing than the other.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #105
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I can read just about anything (so long as it's not entirely right aligned), but I'd rather read ragged right than stare at some of the rivers of white that can happen whenever justified text is done poorly. Plus sometimes, I simply like to break up the hypnotic monotony of identical-looking, perfectly rectangular paragraphs (that justified-text tends to induce after awhile) with some ragged right ones.

I'm not really a fan of having the exact same, totally homogenous typographic reading experience with every single book I read. I like a little variety in that regard.

Heck sometimes (especially with lots of longer paragraphs), the diagonal and vertical whitespace patterns/artifacts that justified text will create start to catch my eye in a distracting manner.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-02-2020 at 11:25 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote