Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2021, 12:15 PM   #16
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by hongchengca View Post
But the dictionary used to work on mobi books before.
I'm afraid to make a mistake, because I haven't checked mobi, but as I remember, the dictionary with books in mobi and fb2 format has never worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is there any way to tell the Kobo Mini not to update the dictionary when you sync?
Put the dictionary in .kobo\custom-dic. What I suggested initially.
Quote:
I think it's a null dictionary.
This is Dicttml v2
https://download.kobobooks.com/eread...2/dicthtml.zip

Both versions should work in firmware 4.28.18220.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-24-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
That is, a mini with a new firmware downloads the old dictionary? Interesting.
I copied over the dictionaries from my other Kobo Mini (also on 4.19.14123) and now a sync doesn't remove my working dictionary. But for some reason the dictionaries (at least the English one) that are supposed to automatically download from Kobo when updating aren't working.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #18
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rcentros

In your case, it seems to me that dictionaries of version 2 do not work. You can either update the firmware or manually download the dictionaries you need version 1 (link above) in .kobo\dict (custom-dict - this for newer versions, I forget it all the time)

Last edited by Semwize; 10-24-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Put the dictionary in .kobo\custom-dic. What I suggested initially.This is Dicttml v2
https://download.kobobooks.com/eread...2/dicthtml.zip

Both versions should work in firmware 4.28.18220.
I was never seeing the Custom Dictionary in 4.19.14123. I just went ahead and upgraded to 4.28.18220 and the issues sorted themselves out. The dictionary survives a sync now. Thanks.

I should mention that 4.28.xxxxx gave me the Oxford Dictionary (15 MB), so that's good.

Again, thanks for all your trouble.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-24-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:42 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
In your case, it seems to me that dictionaries of version 2 do not work. You can either update the firmware or manually download the dictionaries you need version 1 (link above) in .kobo\dict (custom-dict - this for newer versions, I forget it all the time)
I don't know if it was because I had it in my custom-dict or what, but when I updated to 4.28 it gave me the 15.0 MB Oxford Dictionary and (so far at least) it's surviving syncs. So I'm happy

Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-24-2021, 01:48 PM   #21
Semwize
Guru

I kind of wrote to you above - update the firmware.

Another solution was a patch for firmware 4.19, which prevents updating

Spoiler:
Code:
Never sync dictionaries:
- Enabled: no
- BaseAddress:  {Sym: "SyncDictionariesCommand::prepareDownloadList()"}
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1090, FindH: 0CD5,     ReplaceH:       0CE0}   #permissions
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1068, FindH: FFF68DAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #size
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset:  1034, FindH: 3FF49EAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #isSynced
Old 10-24-2021, 01:58 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I kind of wrote to you above - update the firmware.

Another solution was a patch for firmware 4.19, which prevents updating

Spoiler:
Code:
Never sync dictionaries:
- Enabled: no
- BaseAddress:  {Sym: "SyncDictionariesCommand::prepareDownloadList()"}
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1090, FindH: 0CD5,     ReplaceH:       0CE0}   #permissions
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1068, FindH: FFF68DAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #size
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset:  1034, FindH: 3FF49EAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #isSynced
If I decide to drop back for any reason, I'll look into this. I'm guessing this patch is part of the whole patch system (or could this be entered somwhere on its own?). I got lazy on the patches (especially when Kobo was putting out new firmware every other day (I exaggerate... slightly). Besides Kobo incorporated most of the patches that mattered to me.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #23
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
If I decide to drop back for any reason, I'll look into this. I'm guessing this patch is part of the whole patch system (or could this be entered somwhere on its own?).
Add to libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml Rewrote the old patch by geek1011 for an even older firmware version (4.19).
Old 10-29-2021, 10:39 AM   #24
tudoapampa
tudoapampa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 7th gen / Inkpalm 5 / Kobo mini
Html

Quote:
This is not the one downloaded via "Edit Dictionary" in the Kobo Mini. This one actually has entries in it — the one you get from Kobo (by going through the "Edit Dictionary" feature) delivers a dictionary with two files (or folders, can't remember for sure which) one of which reads "junk." That dictionary does not work. The one you've listed probably would work as it has the right files.
I was having trouble with kobo mini dictionary almost a year until today, I downloaded a dictionary with html files inside the zip file and it worked, the one automatically synced that didn’t work has this weird files inside (junk etc...). I’m just registering this here for someone searching in the future.
tudoapampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:42 AM   #25
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudoapampa View Post
I was having trouble with kobo mini dictionary almost a year until today, I downloaded a dictionary
If you are talking about the link above, and the dictionary v. 1 (2012), then it is better to use v. 3

https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/e...3/dicthtml.zip
Old 10-29-2021, 03:52 PM   #26
tudoapampa

Quote:
If you are talking about the link above, and the dictionary v. 1 (2012), then it is better to use v. 3

https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/e...3/dicthtml.zip
Thank you. But my main language and dictionary is pt-br. Do you have a v3 for pt dictionary?
Old 10-29-2021, 04:06 PM   #27
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
v3 for pt dictionary?
https://kbdownload1-a.akamaihd.net/e...icthtml-pt.zip (2020)
Old 10-29-2021, 04:17 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I was having trouble with kobo mini dictionary almost a year until today, I downloaded a dictionary with html files inside the zip file and it worked, the one automatically synced that didn’t work has this weird files inside (junk etc...). I’m just registering this here for someone searching in the future.
My issue was resolved by updating to firmware 4.28. Dictionary now survives a sync.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #29
tudoapampa

Quote:
My issue was resolved by updating to firmware 4.28. Dictionary now survives a sync.
I didn’t even know I could update the mini, mine stoped at 3.19 accordingly to wiki
Old 10-30-2021, 08:03 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I didn’t even know I could update the mini, mine stoped at 3.19 accordingly to wiki
You have to do it manually. For some reason they say to use the Kobo Glo (not HD) update. I don't know why, but it works.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Tags
dictionary, kobo mini