Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
hongchengca
hongchengca began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Question Kobo mini dictionary not working

I copied new kobo Glo firmware 4.28.18220 to .kobo directory and set up it after factory reset. I also copied new dictionary to .kobo\dict and it is installed automatically under the dictionary. But when I press the word I want to look up, nothing happens. There is no underline showing up. Please kindly
Thank you in advance.
hongchengca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 09:30 PM   #2
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Try how it will work in the directory .kobo\custom-dict
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2021, 09:47 PM   #3
hongchengca

I deleted the dictionary under .kobo\dict and copied the file to .kobo\custom-dict
After ejected the USB device, the eReader is "Importing content" showing 6% complete for long time and nothing happened. After reboot it I saw the dictionaly is installed with the mark of "(Custom)". It works perfectly. But do you know how to set the new dictionary as default one?

Your advice is of great help to me. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:51 PM   #4
hongchengca

It works now. It does remember the previous choice for the language. No problem now. Thank you.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:06 PM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In general, dictionaries should work in directory .kobo\dict. But apparently something went wrong for the mini...
Advert
Old 10-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #6
hongchengca

I did the following things:

1. Adding a few more books
2. Creating a few collections
3. Reading some books

I found the dictionay no longer works! There is no response when I pressed the word. I removed the dictionary from the .kobo\custom_dict, it doesn't fix then I added back to the .kobo\custom_dict, nothing happens neither. The dictionary shows installation a successful one though.

I cannot do the Factory reset again, as I logged in already. Factory reset doesn't kick me out. I also cannot run the bypass setup command
sqlite3 KoboReader. sqlite.
INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');
It will say the UserID cannot be NULL. If I filled the fields to fake things, the .exit will not exit from sqlite it shows ...>

Please give me an advice on how to fix mini... its behavior is weird.

Old 10-24-2021, 12:28 AM   #7
Semwize
Guru

Have you rebooted the device?
I have a feeling that just don't have enough memory...
Old 10-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #8
hongchengca

I already deleted all the books and added new folder with orginal books. I Checked the Onboard storage on kobo, it shows 1.2GB available.

I rebooted it several times already, the dictionary magic doesn't show any longer. I really want to clean everything and do a fresh factory reset. But I just dare not doing so as I logged in already.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:24 AM   #9
hongchengca

I did the Factory reset again and repeated the whole thing in order to acvitate the dictionary function. Didn't get any luck this time. The new dictionary stays in .kobo\custom-dict directory but it only shows installed dictionary. Nothing happens when I press on the word. Any thought?
Old 10-24-2021, 02:26 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
Have you rebooted the device?
I have a feeling that just don't have enough memory...
I couldn't get it to work for me either with the Kobo Mini I just rehabilitated from scratch. The English dictionary that downloads from Kobo for the Mini has two folders in it — one is called "junk." It doesn't work.

I ended up copying the English dictionary from my Clara and copying it to the .kobo/dict (.kobo\dict in Windows) directory. I think I had to reboot and all was good. (I'm using firmware version 4.19.14123 on the Kobo Mini, I believe.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:49 AM   #11
Semwize
Guru

@rcentros
I don't have a mini, alas. I can't just do tests and figure out what's wrong there.

@hongchengca
I would try custom dictionary, for example https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I ended up copying the English dictionary from my Clara and copying it to the .kobo/dict
http://download.kobobooks.com/ereade...s/dicthtml.zip

Maybe I misunderstood the topiс, but it seemed to me that this was the dictionary in question, and it did not work for him.

Last edited by Semwize; 10-24-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:11 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
http://download.kobobooks.com/ereade...s/dicthtml.zip

Maybe I misunderstood the topiс, but it seemed to me that this was the dictionary in question, and it did not work for him.
This is not the one downloaded via "Edit Dictionary" in the Kobo Mini. This one actually has entries in it — the one you get from Kobo (by going through the "Edit Dictionary" feature) delivers a dictionary with two files (or folders, can't remember for sure which) one of which reads "junk." That dictionary does not work. The one you've listed probably would work as it has the right files.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #13
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
This is not the one downloaded
That is, a mini with a new firmware downloads the old dictionary? Interesting.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #14
hongchengca

I figured out the change I made to disabled the dictionary function is adding some ePub books. Interesting thing is I am able to use the dictionary properly in ePub books. So I just replaced all mobi books to ePub format. The new dictionary locates in .kobo\dict
But the dictionary used to work on mobi books before. It is very interesting.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
That is, a mini with a new firmware downloads the old dictionary? Interesting.
I don't think it's an old dictionary — I think it's a null dictionary. I just synced my Kobo Mini again — and sync automatically updated to the dictionary that doesn't work. I've attached a screen capture of the files included in it.

Is there any way to tell the Kobo Mini not to update the dictionary when you sync?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dictionary.jpeg
Views:	125
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	189801  

Tags
dictionary, kobo mini