Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #76
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for reporting back.

I'll update the first post with this version in the near future.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:41 AM   #77
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm afraid it's also a hard no on having the plugin default to assuming all html files are to be affected.
OK. Though in using it hundreds of times, every single time I've wanted to do "all html files". And dozens of times I've started it and entered my edits only to realise none or just one file selected and have to start all over.
But your prerogative. Will just bite my tongue hereafter.

Moving on: different question/plea, though having a similar motive:

Can we make and commit several edits on the same set of files instead of it exiting on commit and then having to reselect and restart for the next?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #78
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Though in using it hundreds of times, every single time I've wanted to do "all html files".
In using it thousands of times, I've rarely wanted to do all html files. *shrug*

Quote:
Can we make and commit several edits on the same set of files instead of it exiting on commit and then having to reselect and restart for the next?
That was asked on the first page of this thread, and I didn't like the idea then. Plugins don't update the underlying files of an epub until after the plugin exits. Allowing a plugin to stack up changes upon changes upon changes to the copy of the epub files it's given access to does not seem wise to me. But I'll revisit it. Maybe I can offer a tweak that could allow those who want to risk it, to do continuous edits. So long as they understand they're on their own with any problems that might arise from it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-01-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #79
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Side Note: I only read the last few posts. Didn't read the entire thread.

Quote:
In using it thousands of times, I've rarely wanted to do all html files. *shrug*
I agree with AlanHK. 99.9% time I use your fantastic plugin, I want it on All HTML Files. (Isn't this how Diap's Editing Toolbag works in Calibre?)

Maybe the Sigil one can default to all HTML files.

And then keep current behavior if you highlight specific files in the Book Browser.

Side Note: It's one of the reasons why I recommended the Calibre version of the plugin over Sigil's to a new user. The Calibre one seems much more "user/newbie friendly"... and this exact issue is one of the reasons why.

If I do passes of cleaning a book, it's easy to forget highlighting every file every time.

And even I sometimes only notice it when I see "0 changes made". Or notice hours later when one of my cleanup Regexes fails and I see one file with a dastardly <span class="italics"> instead of <i>. :P

Side Note #2: Speaking of multiple passes.... Would it be possible to do multiple changes without having to leave the menu each time?

And/or would it also be possible to remember the last "Whose value is"?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-01-2018 at 03:24 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #80
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Side Note: I only read the last few posts. Didn't read the entire thread.
You should have read just a tiny bit more than the last few.

If you had, you'd have seen:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I appreciate that people find my plugin very useful, and I welcome suggestions for improvements. But this particular question has been asked and answered. My mind is made up. So I'd appreciate it if we could drop it and move on.
The file selection process is the file selection process and will remain the file selection process. The end.
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #81
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The file selection process is the file selection process and will remain the file selection process. The end.
Well maybe you would have listened to your bestest buddy Tex.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:35 PM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Well maybe you would have listened to your bestest buddy Tex.
We'll never know, now.
Thanks for the giggle, though.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #83
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
We'll never know, now.
Thanks for the giggle, though.
Well mark that post down.

When you finally do decide to come to the correct side, you'll know that I've convinced you!

There are only a handful of reasons why I sometimes recommend Calibre's Editor over Sigil:
  • Diap's Editing Toolbag
  • Multi-Language Spellcheck
  • The amazing External Links Checker (Tools > External Links > Check External Links)
    • This is A MUST if working on books with lots of URLs.

Looks like you have the power to compete with yourself to chop that list down to 2.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 PM   #84
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
In using it thousands of times, I've rarely wanted to do all html files. *shrug*.
So I am curious--what situations would you not want to "select all"?

I use TM on epubs that have been generated by, e.g. Calibre converter, or MSWord HTML, InDesign, etc; dense with often redundant code and huge quantities of spans and divs that I can't make sense of or revise until I simplify the code. Those have the same codes in all files.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #85
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

I use TM on epubs that have been generated by, e.g. Calibre converter, or MSWord HTML, InDesign, etc; dense with often redundant code and huge quantities of spans and divs that I can't make sense of or revise until I simplify the code. Those have the same codes in all files.
When you insert a foreign section, one where you are trying to bring it in sync with the current CSS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:46 AM   #86
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Suggestion : if no files selected when TM is kicked off, assume all files - if possible with a Process All Files confirmation dialogue, that has a don't show again checkbox.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Suggestion : if no files selected when TM is kicked off, assume all files - if possible with a Process All Files confirmation dialogue, that has a don't show again checkbox.

BR
Yeah, that's not happening. Confirmation or no; assuming none means all is a horrible assumption to make, in my opinion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2018 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I tend to use plugin primarily on actual book content.. i.e. chapter files. I rarely include backmatter/frontmatter in my processing (or I don't do it at the same time as every thing else). Plus it's common practice for me to test out an expression on one file before committing to turning it loose on large swathes (but still very rarely all) of a book.

As a result of those above scenarios, I almost never select all files before launching the plugin. I have accidentally selected no files before and had to relaunch, but I can assure you that I'm happy to redo those extra steps whenever that happens. It means I did no potential damage. *shrug*

And seriously (to all, not just AlanHK)... I'm going to start deleting posts (including some of my own). Not because I hate everyone (or the discussion), but because I hate clutter. And this thread is starting to get seriously cluttered.

As I've mentioned several times already, my mind is entirely made up on how users (including myself) need to select the files that they want this plugin to process. Users will learn that, or they won't. Their choice.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-03-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:39 AM   #89
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
I tend to use plugin primarily on actual book content.. i.e. chapter files. I rarely include backmatter/frontmatter in my processing (or I don't do it at the same time as every thing else). Plus it's common practice for me to test out an expression on one file before committing to turning it loose on large swathes (but still very rarely all) of a book.
I've learned to save the file before doing novel regex or complex TagMechanic edits.
Easier to do that and exit/reopen 10% of the time than have to redo the edit 100% of the time if I did a test. For S&R I do a few just "Replace" to see if it's working as expected before unleashing it with "Replace all".

Quote:
As I've mentioned several times already, my mind is entirely made up on how users (including myself) need to select the files that they want this plugin to process. Users will learn that, or they won't. Their choice.
Sorry to annoy you.

The reason you keep getting this request, and I'm sure will continue to as others discover the plugin, is that users see it as an enhanced Search and Replace, and get frustrated when things like this work differently. The S&R has a tickbox to choose files, which I normally do if necessary AFTER filling in everything else, and the lack of that is surprising to most I think. They open the plugin, work thorough it choosing the tags and options and then nothing happens; nothing in the plugin window tells them they need to choose files before. Eventually you work it out, but if you aren't using it every day it's easy to forget you must do this in a different order than S&R.

So try not to get cheesed off next time someone pops up with this bright idea.

Last edited by AlanHK; 10-04-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #90
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

And try not to get annoyed when a volunteer developer of a third-party plugin (used to augment an opensource application) does not agree to incorporate your functionality request. Opensource does not mean "ask and you shall have it." It's not a democracy and I'm not obligated to make a single change that I don't want to make (no matter how "logical" a tiny contingent of its users might think such a change would be).

So try to keep in mind that I didn't have to share my personal tool with anyone at all. That you (and others) find it useful does not grant you any sort of entitlement or oversight into how it should work. Make your suggestion and graciously accept the decision as to whether or not it will be incorporated.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-04-2018 at 06:22 AM.