schoneschein began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
If I were in the market, I'd buy something like this (and put an SSD in it):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5-Lenovo-...cAAOSwxYxUxofG
schoneschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #17
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Yes - I'm certainly not about to claim that the M92, even with Obuntu, is anything like a perfect solution - far from it. It's just an alternative, in many respects low performance, screen. I doubt that a laptop is entirely avoidable given how much more affordable and mature they are, so I'll probably be using multiple devices much the time, but it would be nice to escape them for at least part of the time. Eink certainly remains an unfinished experiment for me, so I'm certainly not trying to sell it as a solution - at least not yet.

RE laptops, I don't know that a X220 is going to be that different from my X200. Indeed, my X200 seems less reliable that my X40s were in some respects (eg. more reboots). I don't know whether its the XP install or something else. So it might be wise to stick with the X61Ts. I haven't tried one or a tablet PC for that matter, which may be a mistake on my part. The bane of the X40s is their slow hard drives and they aren't afflicted by that. I'll upgrade the X200 to an SSD when I get the time, which will probably be more significant than any model upgrade.

One thing that increasingly strikes me about Obuntu is that it would seem to be somewhat Frankensteinian in its makeup, being built under certain constraints that Seaniko discussed more in the 'Boox (M92) Developer community' than the 'Obuntu images' thread.

While the packages from the repository seem to work, I can't seem to get Make to work. I discussed this a bit earlier in the thread.

The sources.list says:
Code:
deb cdrom: [Ubuntu-Netbook 10.04 TLS _Lucid Lynx_ - Release
armel+imx51 (20100427.1)]/ lucid main
Code:
uname -m
returns:

Code:
armv7l
and

Code:
uname -a
returns:

Code:
Linux lucid-desktop 2.6.35.3-power
EDT 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
But if I attempt to install the kernel headers in response to, for instance, Make reporting errors, as seems to be the usual procedure, thus:

Code:
apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
This returns:

Code:
Couldn't find package linux-headers-2.6.35.3-power
But:

Code:
apt-cache search headers
returns:
Code:
linux-headers-imx51 - Linux kernel headers for imx51 machines
linux-headers-2.6.31-607-imx51 - Linux kernel headers for version 2.6.31 on I.MX51-based systems
But when I attempt to install these, they are all claimed to already be installed.

So I don't know whether this kernel naming problem is confusing Make but I keep getting errors. I don't know enough about Make and haven't really spent enough time on this thus far (there are other possible problems like getting the symbolic links right). But perhaps it isn't going to work.

Now I presume, if one cannot use Make, one is limited to what is in the repositories for solutions, rather than being able to compile something else. That could be limiting.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #18
schoneschein
schoneschein began at the beginning.

Oh, I forgot about your 'make' problems!

I am pretty sure that I compiled something (the calibration tool for the stylus, I think).

I wish I could try running make on mine now and see what happens . . .

I guess I forgot that you have an X200. Certainly not worth it to go to an X220 then, unless you want the tablet function.

My X61t's run so well with an SSD. You will be so glad to have one.

You feel like the build quality of your X200 isn't so good? I've heard mixed things, but overall had the impression that they're pretty good. But I've never used one.
schoneschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:32 AM   #19
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I hadn't got around to your calibration solution, where you do mention that. I'll have to try it out when I get time. I'll also have to get back to working on Make.

I was getting a bit worried. If Make works, then I think there is a much better prospect of addressing Obuntu's deficiencies.

Yes - I'll have to get a tablet PC some day. For the (ancient) models I'd be looking at there would be very little difference in the price. As I continue my drift towards a unix/linux based ecosystem, my software is only getting more efficient and lighter. The only thing really driving hardware upgrades seems to be the demands of the internet and these also seem better met on linux.

The X200 has been a bit weird, but not terrible, of late. I'll probably have to ungrade to some combination of Win7/linux, when I get the time, before I can come to any real judgment about it.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #20
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Angry

I am very angry with these devices. Mine - M92 from Ereader-Store.de - has barely been used and, without been beaten or fallen, it does not respond (white screen with a grey line).

Nowadays it is not possible to find a device reliable, long standing, coming from China

Last edited by viceant; 05-16-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Complete
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2016, 07:49 AM   #21
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Have you contact the vendor ?

Sometimes it could be a problem of charge or only a crash : the reset button could be a solution. In a case, for me, it was necessary to disconnect the battery.

More than two years of usage from Monday to Friday, and transport in bag with the computer.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-18-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:28 AM   #22
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Have you contact the vendor ?

Sometimes it could be a problem of charge or only a crash : the reset button could be a solution. In a case, for me, it was necessary to disconnect the battery.

More than two years of usage from Monday to Friday, and transport in bag with the computer.
I have already tried to reset it but it didn't worked neither. I don't dare to open its back. I contacted with ereader-store.de 4 days ago, but they haven't responded yet.

Thanks for your help
Old 05-20-2016, 04:53 AM   #23
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To contact Ereader-store.de, you must use their contact form, not this forum.

It's easy to open the M92. You could read this thread : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1, an other source for the pictures is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=29 in the same thread.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
viceant
Addict

Quote:
To contact Ereader-store.de, you must use their contact form, not this forum.
Yes, I did it that way.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #25
Randy11
Wizard

I've put the resized pictures : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=31

You have just to disconnect the battery few minutes, reconnect and close the device.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-20-2016 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #26
viceant
Addict

Unhappy

Quote:
I've put the resized pictures : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=31

You have just to disconnect the battery few minutes, reconnect and close the device.
Well, I've done it and doesn't work neither.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160528_191202.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	495.4 KB
ID:	148972

Twelve days since I sent a message to Ereader-store.de and nothing... Is it usual?

Last edited by viceant; 05-28-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #27
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Looks like broken broken glass substrate. Ereader screen has many layers depending on model. A minimum of, top layer is a plastic protective layer, next maybe a light diffusion layer for front light, next a e-ink layer, then a thin easily broken glass substrate. It can be broken by dropping, twisting of reader, excessive pressure on screen or heat from direct tropical sun light....

When manufactures replace glass substrate with flexible plastic ereader screens will be less fragile.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #28
viceant
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Looks like broken broken glass substrate. Ereader screen has many layers depending on model. A minimum of, top layer is a plastic protective layer, next maybe a light diffusion layer for front light, next a e-ink layer, then a thin easily broken glass substrate. It can be broken by dropping, twisting of reader, excessive pressure on screen or heat from direct tropical sun light....

When manufactures replace glass substrate with flexible plastic ereader screens will be less fragile.
Are tablets as weak as e-ink readers?

Edit: Onyx Max has a plastic substrate, I think. Is it more strong?

Last edited by viceant; 05-29-2016 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Complete
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM   #29
viceant
Addict

Anyone knows whether is possible to put a new e-ink screen (like M96's) in this device? I guess its original screen is not available..
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #30
pochopsp
Connoisseur
pochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheesepochopsp can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92 & Nova Pro
there are some replacement screen for M92 on Aliexpress, but I don't know if they're good. Let's wait for Booxtor or someone else to have more information
pochopsp is offline   Reply With Quote