Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Footnotes not translating

I recently bought this Kindle book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J6TWHOS/...8080_TE_M1T1DP

The first thing I did was load it on Calibre, convert it to epub, and start reading it on Marvin. But I noticed footnotes weren't working correctly. So I started reading it on my iPad's Kindle app - they still weren't working. I checked on my Kindle for Mac - they worked. Also some illustrations didn't show up. I finally fixed it on my Kindle app (via Amazon customer support), by uninstalling and reinstalling that app. But that shouldn't have anything to do with my Calibre version which came from my Mac's Kindle library.

It has a kind of footnotes I haven't seen before, with asterisks and daggers. When it wasn't working, it usually wouldn't go anywhere (just seeing the asterisk), but occasionally, it would pull me into the reference page, where I couldn't return. I'm wondering if Calibre is unfamiliar with it?
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Howard
Just to be clear (we now know a conversion, flunks if certain symbols are used)

You are saying that the original Kindle file will not always work correctly with Kindle apps?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I never tested it on my wife's Kindle Fire. The uninstall and reinstall of my Kindle app on my iPad appeared to fix it - but after the first lookup of an asterisk, subsequent lookups failed (as happened earlier). But the illustrations are back!

There appear to be multiple ways of handling footnotes - maybe some better standards are needed.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you were having an issue with this book on your Kindle App, this would not appear to have anything to do with Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #5
HowardBrazee
Zealot

The original file works on my Kindle app on my Mac. That's the version I loaded onto Calibre. I have problems with the book on my Kindle app on my iPad, but it was loaded separately. I have similar problems with the book after I loaded the copy on my Mac onto Calibre and translated it to use on Marvin on my iPad.

So the copy of the program that works correctly on my Mac is what I loaded onto Calibre.
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Howard,
I was trying to establish what Harry alluded to.

You never answered the question:
Was this problem in a ORIGINAL, AS SUPPLIED Amazon book (file)?

If it worked before you ran it through those 'tools', that may have introduced those issues. Report at where you got the tools.

If the tool cleaned version of the Original format works, the conversion to another format may have introduced problems.

This assumes that the formats support the change

Old Analog era rule of thumb:
Conversion/copying always introduces Losses
Conversion/copying always gains Noise

'Master" (Analog) tape recordings were always done at faster speeds, on a thicker tape (base) so that copies losses fell within acceptable limits.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
HowardBrazee
Zealot

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. The problem doesn't occur with the original file using my Kindle for Mac application. When my Kindle downloads an original file, it has a problem very similar to what I get with Marvin, after loading and converting the original Mac file onto Calibre.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Given the fact that your Kindle has problems "when it downloads an original file", that would indicate that the problem lies with that original file, and has nothing to do with Calibre. I'd suggest reporting it as a content problem to Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote