Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #106
BoKingWen
BoKingWen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
NOTE: Please ignore the "evaluation expired" warning message.
operation will continue normally (and may take a minute)

This is the in the first message when you run the application so I think you can disreguard the message.

I am also a newbie I found that this applaction can convert some of the PDF files I have but on most of my PDF files it will only create a 2k .lrf file. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
BoKingWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #107
chaocai
chaocai began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
That's weired then..

I got this evaluate expiration message and all the pdf converted are BLANK....also, when I get this message, I have to go through the configuration steps everytime when I try a conversion.

Can someone help me pls?
chaocai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2007, 03:20 AM   #108
warlord
warlord began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Its cool,thanks for trying,i guess no pdf files for me. Oh well,i still like my new reader. Even though i got it for pdf's.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:45 AM   #109
BoKingWen
BoKingWen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Anyone any ideas?
BoKingWen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #110
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
CUT
P.s great community here,cant wait to be part of it. Now that i got a reader !!
Hello:

I want to immediately state that I don't use the program - but there are VERY knowledgable people here who will be happy to offer assistance.

My reason here is to say hello and to welcome you to the community.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 AM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
Its cool,thanks for trying,i guess no pdf files for me. Oh well,i still like my new reader. Even though i got it for pdf's.
After you installed .net 2.0 did you reboot before trying to install again? Are you sure the account you are using has access to install where you are trying to?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #112
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
yes,

VISTA USERS MUST RIGHTCLICK AND RUN THE INSTALLER WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVILEGES.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #113
medavidson
medavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS500
Um... don't want to throw a wrench into things, but...

Ok, that "trial period has expired" message is a bad sign. I've sent alex a private message about it.

Mark

Additional note: I heard back from Alex. Everyone who is using the current version of this product needs to make a choice. Alex is using a commercial tool as part of the conversion process, a tool which has not been paid for (thus the "trial expired" message) and cannot be distributed as part of a product even if it WAS paid for.

I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the effort that Alex has put into producing this. However, distribution of a trial version of a commercial tool like this is just wrong, and Alex is quite aware of what he has done. I'm not going to reproduce his reply here, but I will say that I have no intention of using this tool while it violates the license of pdf-tools (the company that makes pdcat.exe).

If you are using Rasterfarian, then you need to decide whether you want to encourage this kind of behavior. I certainly won't. I love my reader but I'm not going to break the law to read PDFs on it.

I'm sure there are going to be some people who insult me for taking this position, or tell me "Who is it hurting?" or some other justification. And you are certainly within your right to do so. Remember, though, that people go to jail or pay fines for distributing illegal copies of software and I have no intention of doing either one of those things.

Mark

Last edited by medavidson; 08-23-2007 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Added update after reply from Alex
medavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #114
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Simple solution. Don't distribute the pdf-tools with the package, and point the user to the pdf-tools.com website, telling them how to download the trial version and how to install the files.

RasterFarian will still work the way it is. If the user decides to buy the tool, it's his/her own choice.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Simple solution. Don't distribute the pdf-tools with the package, and point the user to the pdf-tools.com website, telling them how to download the trial version and how to install the files.

RasterFarian will still work the way it is. If the user decides to buy the tool, it's his/her own choice.
But how do you overcome the expired without spending more on this program then the ready now costs?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:28 PM   #116
medavidson
medavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheesemedavidson can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS500
Finding a solution...

Several people have made excellent points. It would be entirely legal for people to go request eval copies of the pdf-tools command line suite... it's just not something everyone would want to do, and would make setting up RasterFarian even harder.

Of course, Alex has basically told me that because of my actions, he doesn't want me using his program (which I won't, especially since it would be hypocritical of me to use something that I have specifically reported as being a problem). My goal was not to inconvenience people or to piss off Alex... I don't want to see MobileRead get into trouble. I will say this too: I only reported the problem to Alex and MobileRead. I did not tell pdf-tools or anyone else.
medavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #117
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Mark,

You are entirely correct, and I support your actions 100%. One cannot distribute a program that contains an "evaluation" version of a tool like that, and every software developer is very well aware of that fact.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mark,

You are entirely correct, and I support your actions 100%. One cannot distribute a program that contains an "evaluation" version of a tool like that, and every software developer is very well aware of that fact.
Worse then that, it's now an expired trial.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #119
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Rasterfarian patched

Well, since Alex once gave me permission to release a patched version of RasterFarian (search for it in one of the threads)...

Although that permission was for some bugfixes, I don't think he'd mind if I use it to remove the licensing problems.

This version has the licensed pdcat.exe removed. It was doing nothing more than "concatinating" the pdf to another location. So I used a simply "copy" command instead.

Get it here. (it's too big to upload in mobileread)

http://hightech.afmag.net/rasterfari...sion-here.html
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #120
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm going to start a new thread on this one, athlonkmf, it deserves the highlight.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote