Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
A clarification re: US Kindle store

I'm a Canadian who bought a Kindle 3.
I want to test out accessing and purchasing from the US store. If it is as I suspect (larger selection, games, more free items), I would stick to using the US store. I've read some experiences about switching, but I've also read conflicting experiences about what works now.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it as simple as adding a valid US address in "Mange My Kindle"?
2. Can I download my purchases via 3G without Amazon clamping down on my account? Will the entire internet continue to be accessible via 3G?
3. If yes to 2, if I download via 3G, are there additional charges assessed because I'd technically be roaming?
4. Do I still have to go through using gift cards or will my Canadian credit card work for one-click purchases?
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I am in the UK and I have a US address on my UK Amazon account, switching to that address in 'manage your kindle' migrates my kindle to the US store and allows me to purchase books using my UK credit card. When I transfer back to my UK address my US purchases simply migrate to the UK. Pre orders don't though. To get pre orders on the release date you need to change back to the US store and go through the migration process again.

I haven't had any problems and my books downloaded via wifi. I did get a message on my Kindle about roaming charges so I guess 3G downloads to another country, ie not the US, would incur a fee.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-01-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for that Josieb1, I guess I'll give it a shot.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I wouldn't use 3g when buying from the US store. That is the only time I've gotten messages from Amazon about being in a country different than my default address.

edit:

Figured I'd provide a bit more detail:

Thus far, I have only bought one book from the US store. This book was not available in the Canadian store. I had downloaded it via 3g to my iphone. The next day I got an email from amazon saying I had downloaded a book from a country different than the country specified on my amazon account.

Since getting my K3, I have downloaded numerous free samples via kindle wi-fi and have not received any emails.

I have also downloaded my previously bought book to my pc (transfer to pc option) and did not receive the email again.

To be safe, next time I buy a book, I will do download it via the transfer to pc option and use a US based proxy server. Though I have read that people are downloading fine without the use of a proxy.

Last edited by foghat; 10-01-2010 at 12:03 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Though I have read that people are downloading fine without the use of a proxy.
I am not using a proxy, and I bought 26 books from the US store today without any problems
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert