Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Any PWM info on Boox Note Pro?

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any information on PWM on Boox Note Pro with front light? I have ordered one on Amazon as it was on a reduced price. A bit apprehensive about the front light, but any information or advice would be helpful.

Thank you!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:28 AM   #2
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I had to send the Boox Note Pro back to Amazon, as I got really bad eye strain from the front light barely using it for an hour. Turning the light off, I felt that the contrast was not there. I really don't like the glass layer, compared to the lovely surface on Max 2 Pro, I struggled. I miss my old Max 2 Pro. I will keep an eye on sales next year for Max 2 Pro or Max 3.

It is likely that most people won't have issues. But if there are overly-sensitive people like me I thought I would share my experience and recommend the 13 inch unlit over the Note Pro with the front light. I will also request the manufacturers to make developments in the hardware other than the front light and to offer unlit devices alongside frontlit e-readers.

Last edited by Faeryink; 12-16-2019 at 03:33 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
White_russian
White_russian began at the beginning.

Device: KindleVoyager, Boox Note Pro
Of course ONYX DOES HAVE DAMN PWM! Thank you for shearing your experience Faeryink. I just bought Note Pro and have impression excactly like yours. I am very sensitive to PWM, but couldn't believe they use this for ereaders. I have Kindle Voyager with a front lite and it's amazing - front light, contrast, speed. But even 5 years latter Onyx steel doesn't have a sufficient screen. And they never admit PWM in English language internet sources!!! I found out about it in russian language only.
Russian Onyx representative admitted all their ereaders with FL have PWM, except Livingstone(6inch) - it has been posted 2 week ago.
The link could be translated with Google translator. PWM in Russian is ШИМ
https://market.yandex.ru/product--el...ons?track=tabs

I have Dell Latitude E6530 laptop as well which gives me an eyestrain and headache straight forward. I think monitors in all laptops are not good enough for a long work. I am quite happy with my Asus tablet, but IPad 1gen gave me an eyestrain.
White_russian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #4
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Boox Note Pro / Linux Laptop
I am sorry for your experience. I find this reader quite nice, especially when using stylus; the only regret is I bought it before price reduction. What is the alternative to PWM and what are it's bad points?
r0bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeryink View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any information on PWM on Boox Note Pro with front light? I have ordered one on Amazon as it was on a reduced price. A bit apprehensive about the front light, but any information or advice would be helpful.

Thank you!!
Did you mean Note Pro or Note 2? Please check it before answer, because if it was Note2, the one with android 9, it could be a android version problem, something related with a visualization technique called dithering. It seems some people get eyestrain with the same phone in android 9 but no in older android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bis View Post
I am sorry for your experience. I find this reader quite nice, especially when using stylus; the only regret is I bought it before price reduction. What is the alternative to PWM and what are it's bad points?
There are ways of having a front light without PWM, but it has to be done with a slightly different components. So there are no bad points, just it necessary for the brand to apply them. Fortunately, PWM is becoming something relevant for the industry, and slowly, dithering as well.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote