Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Abrasrose
Abrasrose began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre Won't Open

I just received a new MacBook Air with 10.14.5 and Calibre runs, but won't open. I thought maybe I had a version of Calibre that doesn't work with the latest OS so I relabeled the old file and downloaded a new one. It still runs, but won't open. I don't see it running when I pressed the F3 key.

I saw an old post about plugins causing a problem, but I think it wasn't Calibre plugins, but Mac ones. I do have several plugins in Calibre and they're pretty old, but they didn't cause a problem running on my old Mac.

As you can see, I'm not a software engineer, but my daughter-in-law is. I'd rather fix it myself, though. If you can tell me in plain language how to fix this or say something magical my DOL will understand I would really appreciate it.
Abrasrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What does it runs but wont open mean? How do you know it is running?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #3
Abrasrose

I tried to open my original version of Calibre, but although the dot appeared below the icon, nothing happened. I downloaded a new copy, but when I tried to run it my Mac said Calibre was already running. I got this message:

calibre, version 3.35.0
ERROR: Cannot Start calibre: <p>calibre is already running.</p><p>calibre may be running in the system tray, in the upper right region of the screen.</p><p>If you are sure it is not running, try deleting the file: "/Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock"

Timed out waiting for response from running calibre
Old 07-11-2019, 11:56 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The current version of calibre is 3.45 not 3.35

Download that and run it. And if it also does not work delete the file mentioned in that message.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Abrasrose

I checked the Library and couldn't find that in the cache. Attached is a pic of the Calibre cache. I don't see anything like the file mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	929.5 KB
ID:	172366  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Copy the mentioned file name and delete it in terminal.app with

rm /Library/Caches/whtever
Old 07-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Abrasrose

Thank you for being patient with me. This is what I got when I used terminal:

Last login: Sat Jul 6 17:21:53 on console
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ rm/Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock
-bash: rm/Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock: No such file or directory
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ /Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock
-bash: /Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock: Permission denied
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ 6365004
-bash: 6365004: command not found
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$

I'm not sure why permission is denied. I'm the administrator.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need a space after rm
Old 07-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Abrasrose

Having you help me makes me want to fangirl. Now that I've sucked up, but it was true, I'm starting to feel like we've moved into Mac problems and away from Calibre problems. In the event you have time to help me, this is what I got in terminal:

Last login: Sat Jul 6 17:21:53 on console
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ rm/Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock
-bash: rm/Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock: No such file or directory
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ /Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock
-bash: /Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock: Permission denied
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ 6365004
-bash: 6365004: command not found
Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ rm /Library/Caches/calibre-singleinstance-501-GUI.lock

It looks ok to me, but Calibre still isn't opening.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
Abrasrose

I think it is an OS problem, because Adobe isn't working either.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Is it not opening witht he same error message metioning the same file?
Old 07-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #12
Abrasrose

Adobe is opening now, I'm getting the spinning wheel that never stops. We used to call that getting stuck in a loop. I'm not sure what it's called now.

I checked the activity manager for Calibre and it's not responding. I'm still getting the same error message as before if I try to open a second Calibre app after the first one doesn't open. I have an old version saved (as Calibre-old) as well as the new version.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Messages Image(2352174391).png
Views:	157
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	172392  
Old 07-14-2019, 11:57 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Try running calibre as

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/calibre-debug.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g

that should print out more debuggin information in the terminal
Old 07-15-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
Abrasrose

Here's the message:

Abras-MacBook-Pro:~ abrasonnanstine$ /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/calibre-debug.app/Contents/MacOS/calibre-debug -g
calibre 3.44 embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Darwin-18.6.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '18.6.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 18.6.0: Thu Apr 25 23:16:27 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.261.4~2/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.15
OSX: ('10.14.5', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 3, 4) && EpubSplit (2, 1, 1)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 72.0 x 72.0
physicalDpi: 114.000001712 x 114.000001712
Using calibre Qt style: True
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/__init__.py", line 99, in run
File "lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 169, in Client
File "lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/connection.py", line 308, in SocketClient
File "lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
error: [Errno 61] Connection refused

I have been running DeDRM on an old version of Calibre. Not for anything nefarious, but I like to be able to have ratings on my kindle. I have something like 1,000 books and I can't always remember which books I liked and which I didn't. I also like splitting an anthology into the individual books. I've been having my new books sent to the Kindle on my Mac. That way I get books in the old Amazon format (I don't update Kindle either). I thought the plugins wouldn't affect the new version I downloaded because I changed the name of the old version to Calibre-old before I downloaded the new version. Neither open.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

there's definitely something going on with your computer. That log has an error creating the socket calibre uses to communicate across processes. Sadly I am not enough of a macOS guru to tell you what the issue might be. In general check the permissions on your gome directory and /tmp

Tags
10.14.5, won't open