Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Any leaks on a new Boox i86HDML Plus?

Any rumors about a new, improved version coming out?

The older (current?) version seems to be gone from many places.

I'm still undecided about the Boox N96ml - which I probably will not buy from the ereader-store.de store (if I do buy it), because they have not returned my second email to them. I'll probably get it from Amazon: At least they respond to emails.

Such careless disregard for a potential customer from the ereader-store.de store may lose them $384.56 worth of business (and any potential future business).

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-22-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
A stupid way to loose customers ...
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
A stupid way to loose customers ...

And to lose them, as well.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:09 AM   #4
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Maybe you can consider http://e-readerweb.nl
I got an I86 from them less than 2 weeks ago.
Their website is just in Dutch but after watching the site with "google translate" i wrote them in english.

The 'rumours' i heard from the German website to which i kept sending mails for a couple of months, is that e-ink is not producing those old 8 inches pearl screen so that Onyx can't produce new I86 so that the german store does not have to sell so that we customers can't have an ereader.
It seems a lose-lose strategy to me, starting from e-ink.
Maybe if eink does not fail we will see 8 inches carta devices (from Onyx or someone else).

Isn't people interested in big ereaders or they surrender to search ?

Last edited by underscore; 07-24-2016 at 02:13 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 AM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The 'rumours' i heard from the German website to which i kept sending mails for a couple of months, is that e-ink is not producing those old 8 inches pearl screen so that Onyx can't produce new I86 so that the german store does not have to sell so that we customers can't have an ereader.
Banggood still has the i86ML for sale, as does Onyx-Boox Russia (though those could simply be old stock). Onyx's own TMall site doesn't have it listed.

I'm not altogether surprised if they've stopped making the the original i86ML screen (which is after all the old Pearl technology). I would however be surprised if they aren't replacing it with a new screen in that size range (doesn't one of the upcoming Kobos have a 7.8" screen?), as I think they need something between 6" and 9.7", and it would make more sense (even if rationalising screen sizes) to continue with an 8" rather than a 6.8" as the intermediary.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I thought the Kobo 7.8 was simply a rumor?
Old 07-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
Banggood still has the i86ML for sale, as does Onyx-Boox Russia (though those could simply be old stock). Onyx's own TMall site doesn't have it listed.

I'm not altogether surprised if they've stopped making the the original i86ML screen (which is after all the old Pearl technology). I would however be surprised if they aren't replacing it with a new screen in that size range (doesn't one of the upcoming Kobos have a 7.8" screen?), as I think they need something between 6" and 9.7", and it would make more sense (even if rationalising screen sizes) to continue with an 8" rather than a 6.8" as the intermediary.

That one doesn't appear to be the HDML Plus.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I thought the Kobo 7.8 was simply a rumor?
It's more than just a rumor (though less than a full rollout as yet), as they have filed it with the FCC -- limited information can be found here. (Regardless, Kobo would not go to this trouble without verifying that they can source screens for it.)

Last edited by Hrafn; 07-24-2016 at 02:42 PM. Reason: dupped the FCC link instead of the liliputing link
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If I am not mistaken, it could be that Kobo will be the first company to release a Reader near 8" with a Carta screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That one doesn't appear to be the HDML Plus.
I would have sold you my Onyx I86+ if I'm currently not addicted to it.
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I am not mistaken, it could be that Kobo will be the first company to release a Reader near 8" with a Carta screen.
If that's true, that would be great. I'd buy one!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
It's more than just a rumor (though less than a full rollout as yet), as they have filed it with the FCC -- limited information can be found here. (Regardless, Kobo would not go to this trouble without verifying that they can source screens for it.)

I appreciate the info. This would be great news, to have a larger reader from one of the two (or three) major players.

Thank you!