Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
Angry Some publishers need a boot up the rear

There's a new book I'd like to buy. Obviously I'd prefer to buy it as an ebook (Actually I'm putting my foot down and insisting this time). The problem seems to be that according to the territorial restrictions I can find if I was in any country other than the United Kingdom I'd be able to purchase.

I'd be able to buy this book if I was sat in the Antarctic but the UK? Apparently we're still in the dark ages.

Frankly between things like this and the utterly glacial speed things other than self published works are getting added to the UK Kindle store I'm starting to very frustrated.

Ah well. Back to the stuff I have with sane publishers.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
You may as well name it, and the publisher. Public comment is better.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. The UK publisher is Hodder & Stoughton. I emailed them to ask about it this morning.

I emailed Jasper in December to ask about it and he didn't know why there was no ebook version.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, he should pointedly inquire. I imagine he'd sell quite a few.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Flub
Groupie

I'm actually quite embarrased now. I found it. I had to do an advanced search on the Waterstones site but it's there.

Doing a standard search on there for "Shades of grey jasper fforde" and only the pbook version shows up. I went through quite a few pages of search results looking for it too.

Of course as you'd expect the pbook is half the price of the ebook.

Appologies to Hodder & Stoughton and the finger of shame to Waterstones!
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

Still doesn't do the rest of us any good, of course!
Old 01-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Flub
Groupie

Good point. I hadn't noticed a distinct lack of down under in the allowed countries list on Mobipocket.com.

I'm going to wait for the paperback pricing in six months to be honest. Having booksellers vastly discount the pbook but rip us off on the ebook version leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Even though I know that's Waterstones rather than the publisher doing it.