Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #1
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Question BOOX Nova : How to downgrade firmware from "2.1" to original "2.0.1" ?

Hello my friends ! I have a small question for you.
How to downgrade the Firmware V2.1 to V2.0.1?
* BOOX Onyx Nova Pro.

- I tested (out of curiosity, yes i know, it's stupid) the Chinese version (upgrade 2.1), but I do not like the new interface for the reader of NEO@3 books, many small settings are missing in the new version.
*In addition, it is full of bugs

- I was trying to download and install with the update.upx from the Onyx official page, it does not work. (with failed message : "package verify failed")

Start from "rooot" and "firmware-update" I get error :

- I'm sure it's possible to downgrade, back to 'original' version 2.0.1, but I need your help.
*Thank you in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	I know, you should not do it.png
Views:	2975
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	170628   Click image for larger version

Name:	from_update.png
Views:	358
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	170629  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-12-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Hello, i successfuly did same thing on a Nova, but i guess it's the same thing on your device as the boox website report it as "Nova Series".
I can't test this right now because i don't have anymore the upx file in my file system, but your screenshots suggest me that you double tap that from the storage file manager.
That's not the way.
Once you loaded the file on the reader
You should go to settings --> firmware update
(it should put a dot indicating an update)
and then it was detected the local file, maybe tap on check update.

If i try to uncompress that very same upx file on my macbook i got errors.
We are not supposed to uncompress them manually, i guess the ebook reader, on the firmware, got the key to open it
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah, sorry, i just noticed your last screenshot.
the file that worked for me, got this checksum

MD5 (update.upx) = d1dc022557a9fbd696905f79481e8529

and came from here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9Y...ew?usp=sharing

i will try to simulate tomorrow evening
Old 04-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
ah, sorry, i just noticed your last screenshot.
the file that worked for me, got this checksum

MD5 (update.upx) = d1dc022557a9fbd696905f79481e8529

and came from here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L9Y...ew?usp=sharing

i will try to simulate tomorrow evening

First, thank you for your time !

I downloaded your link, and i got the same error (from system -> Firmware Update").
I greatly appreciate your help;

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
First, thank you for your time !

I downloaded your link, and i got the same error (from system -> Firmware Update").
I greatly appreciate your help;
I am having the exact same issue as you, Michal. Nova Pro, as well.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2019, 06:29 PM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
I am having the exact same issue as you, Michal. Nova Pro, as well.
I am also experiencing this issue.

Although I was happy with the way the 2.1 FW was working on my Nova Pro, I thought I would see if I could downgrade it. But I kept getting the package failed to verify message.

Then I thought that a factory reset might restore the original FW. It didn't. My Nova Pro is still on the 2.1 FW, and now I am currently in the process of reinstalling all my apps and settings... Ugh.

Luckily, I didn't have anything important stored on the device so all I am losing is a bit of time. Good thing also that I was liking the new FW. I only hope that I will be able to install the international version of the FW when it eventually comes out over top of this version.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Then I thought that a factory reset might restore the original FW. It didn't. My Nova Pro is still on the 2.1 FW, and now I am currently in the process of reinstalling all my apps and settings... Ugh.

- I see that I am not alone in having this problem.
- Me too it's morning. Wipe/Reset and the version is as before 2.1
- I hope someone will come up with a solution, how come out of this Chinese Update infernal circle!
*I recognize It's my fault and responsability, Onyx well warned users "do not upgrade your BOOX Nova with China Update canal".
(Oh, Oh, this human curiosity ! )

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-09-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
*I recognize It's my fault and responsability, Onyx well warned users "do not upgrade your BOOX Nova with China Update canal".
(Oh, Oh, this human curiosity ! )
Actually, they only came out with the warning after I had already updated mine. But, to be fair, they probably didn't realize before then that people were doing this... Although I do remember people doing it with other firmware updates on previous Onyx devices which made me think that it was safe to do so.

The thing is, although I am a native English speaker, I can read Chinese. Had I left the system language setting on the device in Chinese, I would have naturally gotten this update without trying. So it seems odd for them to be saying not to do this.

If they are worried about people doing this, then they should make them unable to update in this manner outside of China. Then if you decide to get around that restriction by using a VPN, the blame would rest squarely on your own shoulders. Oh well, it has been a learning experience. I'm just very glad that I held off on updating my Note Pro in this manner.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
Question Mark
Wizard

I think the problem with my device is that the update from the Onyx page and with the one underscore linked to is that they are for the Nova... NOT the Nova Pro.

Using that update would likely work to roll a Nova device back to the previous firmware, but not so for a Nova Pro which has some different hardware related to the stylus.

So it is probably a very good thing that the package failed to verify, otherwise it might have caused some significant issues. Will have to be more careful about installing or attempting to install new updates in the future.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-09-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 PM   #10
trence
Connoisseur
trence doesn't littertrence doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I think the problem with my device is that the update from the Onyx page and with the one underscore linked to is that they are for the Nova... NOT the Nova Pro.

Using that update would likely work to roll a Nova device back to the previous firmware, but not so for a Nova Pro which has some different hardware related to the stylus.

So it is probably a very good thing that the package failed to verify, otherwise it might have caused some significant issues. Will have to be more careful about installing or attempting to install new updates in the future.
On Onyx's Website it says Nova Series on the DL header. You'd think that means it would work with the Pro was well. IMO, at least.
trence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:34 AM   #11
underscore
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trence View Post
On Onyx's Website it says Nova Series on the DL header. You'd think that means it would work with the Pro was well. IMO, at least.
I'm sorry for your issues, guys.
That was my point also.
It's the first "series" i know made by just one device.
*Now* if we read very carefully, it's said "applicable model:nova".
On Note Series are listed different fw for note / note s/ note +....come on!

Anyway....also my restored firmware, which -thank God - was still present on their website was installed OTA.
I can choose whatever language i want and then, if a firmware update is proposed, i think Onyx should public the right previous firmware, for you to rollback.

Maybe Booxtor or other resellers can help
Old 04-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

- My main problem is the new version of NEO V3.0 player
With version NEO V2.0 :
*Everything was well displayed
Spoiler:

And now with version NEO V3.0 everything works weirdly::
Spoiler:

- CSS3, or styles not working properly as :"properly styles", "shading", "initials" (letrine) etc.
- The previous version [V2.0] worked very well,, but the new version [V3.0] is horrible..
*You think, that the return to NEO [V2.0] from [V3.0] as well is not possible either?

PS: I think you're quite right. Nova and Nova Pro will have a different OTA update and therefore update.upx does not work.

.. But still thank you for your effort
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	After whit Neo V2.0.png
Views:	2536
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	170639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Now, whit NEO V3.png
Views:	2482
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	170640  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-10-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:12 AM   #13
Question Mark
Wizard

The Nova Pro is fairly new out. The international version also hasn't been released yet. That's probably why they haven't gotten around to updating the support page on their website yet. I imagine that they will in the future.

Somewhere on the Chinese site, there may be a link to the old firmware for those who are unhappy with the latest firmware. I haven't looked because, although I can read Chinese, it still requires something of an effort and my technical vocabulary is virtually non-existent.

I haven't been using Neoreader recently. Perhaps that's why I'm not experiencing any issues with this new firmware. But I wouldn't panic too much, I imagine that they are working very diligently behind the scenes to get things right. I suspect that they have been putting the new devices and software out a little prematurely due to increased competition from other companies.

Last edited by Question Mark; 04-10-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:31 AM   #14
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Question New Update Nova Pro 2.1.1

- You have already installed this update 2.1.1 on your device?
- This morning, I received a message "update available" (2.1.1.f44 ), file size : 81Mb
* It is updated should repair problems with "PDF" : close PDF, zoom PDF, TTS in sleep screen,
reading margins etc.

" Install or not?"
- I hesitate because I want to return everything to 2.0.1
*Thank you for your possible return
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BOOx Nova Pro 2.1.1. Update.png
Views:	385
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	170682  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 04-12-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #15
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
- You have already installed this update 2.1.1 on your device?
- This morning, I received a message "update available" (2.1.1.f44 ), file size : 81Mb
* It is updated should repair problems with "PDF" : close PDF, zoom PDF, TTS in sleep screen,
reading margins etc.

" Install or not?"
- I hesitate because I want to return everything to 2.0.1
*Thank you for your possible return
Thanks for alerting me to this update. As I was already happy with the new 2.1 FW, I have decided to install it on mine. Hopefully, this will make it even better. Won't have time to play with it, however, until I finish work.