Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
New Novel as Serial

Hi,

I have just started to present my second novel, The Baer Boys, in online serial form. It is a bit different from Boomerang, which MR readers have embraced so nicely, but I would love for you to have a look.

The Baer Boys

After twenty years of not making it as an actor, Darin returns home to a second chance at a life he never quite made either.

Darin Baer left home right out of high school to find his place in the world of theater. Now, after more than twenty years away, he comes back to help take care of his recently widowed father. He accepts a long term substitute teaching position at his old high school. The commitments and decisions he thought he had put behind him, or avoided altogether, are suddenly very present and quite unavoidable.

Best,
Alan
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The second installment is now up!

The Baer Boys
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Are you going to publish this work, or do we all have to read it online?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
plumboz
Novelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Are you going to publish this work, or do we all have to read it online?
Hi Lene,

My reasons for doing the serial are two: Give me additional incentive to finish the book in a timely fashion (I am a terribly slow writer and I am right now at about 50,000 words). And, ideally, accumulate enough interest in the serial to be able to use that information to help me interest a publisher.

But in any case, traditional publisher or not, The Baer Boys will be published, even if it ends up like its big brother, Boomerang, and I do it all myself.

Thanks for asking!

Alan
Old 06-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Hi, Alan!

I'm also doing a serial, and I'm collecting links to other serials for my blog. I'll probably do a post about on them sometime next week. (I'll post here when I get it done.)

My serial is a promotional idea - I'm posting the first book THE WIFE OF FREEDOM (which is available on Smashwords and Kindle) at three chapters a week, to motivate myself to finish the sequel by the time I'm done posting the first. http://daringadventurestories.blogspot.com/

Later I hope to do some other serials. I have some novellas that would be good four chapter serials. I also have an idea for a series of novella-length stories that would be great as a serial too. The adventure stories blog could be a fun way to promote.

The one thing I can't do is what you're doing - post before the story is finished. I can't write in chronological order, so I couldn't start a serial until the whole story is finished. (Although for one of the shorter works, that could be a fund "nanowrimo" type challenge.)

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
plumboz
Novelist

Hi Daring,

The subject of serials is, as you know, currently occupying the thoughts of Smashwords founder Mark Coker. So far it looks like the reader response he is getting to his survey on another board here is that they are not all that popular. I try not to go into this sort of endeavor with any great hopes. If some folks find it and like it, that's wonderful. But my focus is simply finishing the book. That will accomplish two things: I'll be keeping my pledge to whatever readers do show up, and I'll have a new novel to publish. No downside outside of the little bit of time involved in posting the chapters.

Best,
Alan
Old 06-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
DaringNovelist
Addict
DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaringNovelist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Hi Daring,

The subject of serials is, as you know, currently occupying the thoughts of Smashwords founder Mark Coker. So far it looks like the reader response he is getting to his survey on another board here is that they are not all that popular. ...
I would have predicted that for purchase. Even if they were offering something like that at Smashwords, I wouldn't take advantage of it. I would only offer whole stories for sale. (Although they might be linked to other stories as a series.)

Serials have always been more popular as a promotional item - in a magazine, newspaper, or now on a blog. It's a way to get people interested in buying a book.

There are plenty of well known authors, of course, who have successfully used the serial concept, even in pay as you go. A number of sf writers have used a variation of the tip jar to fund the writing of books when a publisher has either gone under, or has refused to publish something that didn't quite fit in their regular line. Sharon Lee and Steve Miller, I believe, used it to support a off-shoot novel from their Liaden universe, and a bunch of their fans paid in advance to watch the rough draft in production (including a good friend of mine - who then turned me on to the series).

Of course, you have to have a very serious fan base to pull off something like that, but part of building a fanbase is getting your work out there.

Camille
DaringNovelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 PM   #8
kristanhoffman
kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kristanhoffman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPod Touch / iPad
Good luck with this! I also did a serial, where I wrote one episode a week and posted it to my blog. Took me about a year to write it all, between 2009-2010.

I recently compiled it into 1 ebook and published it to Amazon and Smashwords, at the request of readers who simply weren't interested in following along in the serial format. (Except people who read my blog already; they loved it.) The whole process -- from writing to serializing to publishing to "marketing" -- has been really informative and enjoyable for me, so I definitely encourage you to try things and have fun with it.

--

kristanhoffman.com - writing dreams into reality
"Twenty-Somewhere" at Amazon or Smashwords - Three best friends, one big world, and way too many problems to count...
kristanhoffman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alan hutcheson, boomerang, new novel, serial, the baer boys