Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
romns116
romns116 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I've written to Zondervan (NIV). Let's see what happens, although I do not have high hopes. I am going to write to Tyndale (NLT).

Apparently, Tyndale accepts permission requests only by snail mail (Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., P.O. Box 80, Wheaton, Illinois 60189). Does anybody have an email address where I can send a request?

Note that NIV and NLT are available for the Kindle directly from Zondervan and Tyndale.

P.S. By the way I have had another idea for a parallel Bible on the Kindle. Basically, each translation is separate within one book. However, each verse is hyperlinked to its counterpart in another translation. What do you think?
Thanks for writing to the publishing companies. I know chances are slim, but still I appreciate the effort!

As for your idea - I think it would be helpful, but the biggest benefit (for me atleast) of a parallel is to visually see both versions at the same time. I think that's why the columnar format works well with a parallel. Having a link would switch the view, but I wouldn't be able to compare the versions side-by-side. Just my opinion though.
romns116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #32
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
As an experiment, I will try to create a table with two columns to see how text will be displayed. The issue is that the look will vary from DX to K2 and from font size to font size.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #33
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
Actually it's Douay-Rheims . it is the english version of the Bible used by the Catholic church and unlike, say the KJV it contains the apocryphal books between the old and new testaments.

There may be a market for it but many Catholics are not very avid Bible readers - sorry for the generalization but it tends to be true.

Anyway I know anything you come up with will be great as all your other formats have been.
I have not yet made any Bibles with Apocrypha (btw, initially, KJV had them). So, I will do the Douay-Rheims Bible with Challoner Revisions with all the bells and whistles.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #34
romns116
romns116 began at the beginning.

Quote:
As an experiment, I will try to create a table with two columns to see how text will be displayed. The issue is that the look will vary from DX to K2 and from font size to font size.
I can't wait to see it. Even if I have to use a smaller font to see both columns, I'd still use it.
romns116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #35
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Just an update. The Douay Rheims Bible is taking longer than I thought it would because all available sources (and there are a few) are full of typos and OCR errors (almost every verse has a problem). I cannot publish a Bible translation in good conscience with so many errors. The good thing is that once I am finished with it, my edition will be the most accurate electronic version of D-R available.

I am also working on a huge Biblical dictionary/encyclopedia. My tolerance for OCR errors in a dictionary of that size is stronger. So, I will fix as many issues as I can and then release it to the public. I think it will be useful.

Last edited by osnova; 12-11-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I am not personally into paraphrases but the Voice NT is currently offered for free on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UEP8KG/
Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
kwailau
kwailau began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp_iliad View Post
I liked this ESV study bible a lot....It has a lot of contents (comments, history, etc) yet it's price is pretty cheap!
http://www.amazon.com/ESV-Study-Bibl.../dp/B001CDWFPC
I'm interested in purchasing the Kindle edition of the ESV Study Bible and I was wondering how the navigation works? I'd appreciate any feedback from folks who have this on their Kindle.

Thanks!
Kwai
kwailau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #38
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

You guys realize that there are almost 2 identical threads on bibles next to each other ?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #39
toz1
toz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle KJV and ASV

Found two versions that are really good.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CYYCBM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C16286
toz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please explain what makes them good compared with the 1000 other KJVs and ASVs that there are on Amazon. Simply saying that they're "really good" doesn't aid anyone in their buying decision .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 AM   #41
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
The ESV Bible for the Kindle on Amazon UK has the best search facility that I've seen. Go to Menu and Index appears in the Menu options. A list of Books appears in alphabetical order. Type the first letters of the abbreviated Book and the list scrolls to match your search (at any stage, you can use the 5way Down arrow to get to your place).Type space and the chapter number and the list scrolls again so the first verse of the chapter is at the top. Type space and the verse number and your verse is top of the list. Press the Down arrow and then press the middle of the 5 way. Genius! Best of all, this version is currently FREEE but I suspect, not for much longer.
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #42
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Oh bother, hit a contra with the ESV - the Kindle Find function is very poor in it.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:16 AM   #43
toz1
toz1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle KJV and ASV

True, should have specified Both versions of ASV and KJV are formatted well. Easy to navigate and include all the functions the Kindle can handle. This includes chapter jumps (jump from Genesis 1 to Genesis 2... and so on). It has a table of contents with working links . Also search feature works well, if you want to jump to say.. Genesis 4.2, just type GEN4.2 by typing GEN then Alt+R, period Alt+W and enter. Then it jumps straight to that verse.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005CYYCBM

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005C16286
toz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #44
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by evwool View Post
The ESV Bible for the Kindle on Amazon UK has the best search facility that I've seen. Go to Menu and Index appears in the Menu options. A list of Books appears in alphabetical order. Type the first letters of the abbreviated Book and the list scrolls to match your search (at any stage, you can use the 5way Down arrow to get to your place).Type space and the chapter number and the list scrolls again so the first verse of the chapter is at the top. Type space and the verse number and your verse is top of the list. Press the Down arrow and then press the middle of the 5 way. Genius! Best of all, this version is currently FREEE but I suspect, not for much longer.
This is all good but they (Crosswire) forgot to mention that they borrowed this "search facility" from OSNOVA. I don't mind the fact itself. I only asked them to mention that it was based on Direct Verse Jump (search this forum) designed by OSNOVA. http://osnova.com/category/how-tos/
At first they agreed in a post, then they deleted that post and ignored all my requests.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #45
evwool
Connoisseur

Quote:
This is all good but they (Crosswire) forgot to mention that they borrowed this "search facility" from OSNOVA. I don't mind the fact itself. I only asked them to mention that it was based on Direct Verse Jump (search this forum) designed by OSNOVA. http://osnova.com/category/how-tos/
At first they agreed in a post, then they deleted that post and ignored all my requests.
That is really disgusting, Osnova! If I'd known that, I wouldn't have bought their Bible! I guess it's one law for the rich.....