Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
JBean
JBean began at the beginning.

Device: none
A few questions about the Kindle 1st gen

Since the Sony PRS-505s are hard to get a hold of now, I'm looking into the refurbished first generation Kindles offered by Amazon.com. I live in Canada so I won't be able to use the wireless capability.

From what I understand, I'll be able to drag-and-drop ebooks directly from my computer (a Mac) to the Kindle, via USB?
How are files organized/displayed on the Kindle: in folder format (like the Hanlin) or by title/author/etc (like the Sony models)?
Would I have to use a program like Calibre to convert my html/rtf/pdf files into formats that are recognized by the Kindle (which are txt and...?)?
The dictionary function is built-in and does not rely on wireless access, right?

Thanks, guys!
JBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBean View Post
From what I understand, I'll be able to drag-and-drop ebooks directly from my computer (a Mac) to the Kindle, via USB?
Yep.

Quote:
How are files organized/displayed on the Kindle: in folder format (like the Hanlin) or by title/author/etc (like the Sony models)?
They're organized like the Sony; all the books are on one list. Now, the Kindle can read the files in folders; you just can't see them.

Quote:
Would I have to use a program like Calibre to convert my html/rtf/pdf files into formats that are recognized by the Kindle (which are txt and...?)?
You can have Amazon do it (for some formats). But calibre is usually better. And yes, the Kindle can only read a limited number of formats so conversion will be needed.

Quote:
The dictionary function is built-in and does not rely on wireless access, right?
Yep.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

They're organized like the Sony; all the books are on one list. Now, the Kindle can read the files in folders; you just can't see them.
Let me expand on this a bit.

Let's say you hook your Kindle to your computer. You move e-books TreasureIsland.mobi, and TheWindInTheWillows.prc, into the documents folder. Then you create a folder called "Horse Stories" in the documents folder and you move BlackBeauty.prc, and MyFriendFlicka.mobi into "Horse Stories."

On your computer you will see, in the documents folder,
Treasure Island
The Wind In the Willows
and a folder called "Horse Stories" that contains Black Beauty, and My Friend Flicka

When you disconnect your Kindle and start it up, you will see
Treasure Island
The Wind In The Willows
Black Beauty
My Friend Flicka

and no sign of the folder.

The Kindle can "see" the books in "horse stories" and can display their titles for you, and let you read them, but has no way to let you know that Black Beauty and My Friend Flicka were grouped together, separate from Treasure Island and The Wind in The Willows.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
And you have the option to order the book list on the kindle 3 different ways - by most recent (which orders them by which you've accessed most recently, either by reading in it or loading it on the kindle) or alphabetical by author or title.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Re using Calibre to convert HTML, RTF, etc ....

It's true that Calibre will handle that chore with ease, but you don't have to use it with HTML -- provided the HTML is more-or-less straight text. Just change the file's extension to TXT. You won't preserve the graphics or any complex layout, but it's fine for reading things like ebooks downloaded from Project Guthenberg.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert