Notices

Old 10-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
MattDD90Murdock
MattDD90Murdock began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd Edition
Annoying problem with kepub, TOC and Kobo Aura

Hi guys!

I'll explain my problem.

When i convert a book for my Kobo Aura 2nd edition (using the kepub plugin) i usually put <h2></h2> tags for every chapter and create a TOC as i want it to be. My Kobo is able to see the TOC but when a chapter ends and it should go to the next, actually it goes to the previous.

The chapters are in the correct order, by the way.

For a better explanation what i do when i convert is basically putting, like i said earlier, h2 tags in the html file, then, before converting to epub, i just select the tag h2 using the magic wand icon in "structure detection" -> "detect chapters at" because h2 tags are not used elsewhere.

This problem happens with all my kepubs. I don't know if it's Calibre's fault or my Kobo's.

I hope you can help me and sorry for my english
MattDD90Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't noticed any problems with kepubs produced either via a conversion or the extended driver. I don't use them all the time, but enough that I would expect to see any issues. Or hear of them from others.

I also cannot think of how the Kobo devices would do this, except if the ToC is built incorrectly. They do support for RTL languages, but that affects the page turning, not the chapter progression. On the device does the ToC display correctly? And does it work properly? Does the epub work properly on the device?

There have been some strange problems if you don't have a one-to-one relationship between the ToC entries and the files. I thought they had been fixed, and I wouldn't have expected the behaviour you describe. What firmware version are you running on the device? And what calibre version.

Beyond that, I think I would need to see book with the problem. If they are under copyright, they can't be posted here. If you could upload both the epub and kepub version somewhere and send a PM with the link, I can look at them. Or PM me for an email address to send the books to.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2017, 04:52 AM   #3
MattDD90Murdock

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't noticed any problems with kepubs produced either via a conversion or the extended driver. I don't use them all the time, but enough that I would expect to see any issues. Or hear of them from others.

I also cannot think of how the Kobo devices would do this, except if the ToC is built incorrectly. They do support for RTL languages, but that affects the page turning, not the chapter progression. On the device does the ToC display correctly? And does it work properly? Does the epub work properly on the device?

There have been some strange problems if you don't have a one-to-one relationship between the ToC entries and the files. I thought they had been fixed, and I wouldn't have expected the behaviour you describe. What firmware version are you running on the device? And what calibre version.

Beyond that, I think I would need to see book with the problem. If they are under copyright, they can't be posted here. If you could upload both the epub and kepub version somewhere and send a PM with the link, I can look at them. Or PM me for an email address to send the books to.
Calibre is 3.7 and Kobo Aura's software is 4.5.9587 (13/07/17).

And yes, TOC is displayed correctly.

I noticed that if i start the kepub from the beginning the order of chapters is correct, after first it goes to second and so on, but if i select a chapter straight from the index then the problem occurs and after chapter 15, for example, it goes to 14.

Another thing i notice is that in the bottom (after i hit this symbol <-> to bring up the scrollbar) it should appear the name of the chapter i'm currently reading but, instead, what i see is the name of the first chapter of the TOC.

I sent the link with a PM.

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDD90Murdock View Post
Calibre is 3.7 and Kobo Aura's software is 4.5.9587 (13/07/17).

And yes, TOC is displayed correctly.

I noticed that if i start the kepub from the beginning the order of chapters is correct, after first it goes to second and so on, but if i select a chapter straight from the index then the problem occurs and after chapter 15, for example, it goes to 14.

Another thing i notice is that in the bottom (after i hit this symbol <-> to bring up the scrollbar) it should appear the name of the chapter i'm currently reading but, instead, what i see is the name of the first chapter of the TOC.
When I first tried the book, everything was OK, but, the last bit was the clue. The missing chapter name in the navigation bar means you have set the page progress to "Entire book". And when I change my setting to use this, I saw the same behaviour you are seeing. This is with a 4.6.x firmware.

But, I can't reproduce it with another book. I thought it might be that chapters in the book (the cover and the title) were not in the ToC, but that isn't it.

Going back to the per-chapter reading progress fixes the problem, but other than that I can't see what is happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
MattDD90Murdock

Quote:
When I first tried the book, everything was OK, but, the last bit was the clue. The missing chapter name in the navigation bar means you have set the page progress to "Entire book". And when I change my setting to use this, I saw the same behaviour you are seeing. This is with a 4.6.x firmware.

But, I can't reproduce it with another book. I thought it might be that chapters in the book (the cover and the title) were not in the ToC, but that isn't it.

Going back to the per-chapter reading progress fixes the problem, but other than that I can't see what is happening.
Page progress is already set "per chapter". When I select "entire book" it doesn't show the chapter's name and it's to be expected, but when "per chapter" is selected, like i said earlier, it shows me always the first chapter of the book. This happens with all my kepub that are converted in the same way.

It woudn't be really a problem because it doesn't actually affect the reading but the other problem about chapters sequence is making me really frustrated.

I'll keep converting moving this or that option hoping that'll work.

Thanks for everything until now!
Advert
Old 10-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
MattDD90Murdock

FINALLY SOLVED IT!

I found this topic of 2013:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=209873

The guy had same problem and i did what a user, 4 years ago, suggested:

Quote:
If you are sideloading an epub as a kepub, some of the other suggestions might help. If you are using calibre, an epub-to-epub conversion might fix it. Or simply opening in Sigil and forcing a save will probably fix it. If you make a fix like this, be sure to delete the book from the device before putting it back on.
That user is you, David. You helped me from the past

Downloaded Sigil and noticed that TOC was fine and all was in order, but the trick was to save again with Sigil and copy the kepub in my Kobo folder. Even the chapter's name in the bottom now is the right one. I can finally enjoy my books

Last edited by MattDD90Murdock; 10-10-2017 at 11:09 AM.