Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
T_MB
T_MB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Dumbed Down NST root???

I just bought my Nook Touch and am not happy with the limited functionality. I have been reading a lot about rooting the device and I have some questions I cannot find answers for.

I am not really interested in web-browsing, checking e-mail, or running games. The only reason I would root the device is to get access to a decent PDF viewing and something that reads word docs. I don't even necessarily want/need to be able to download apps directly on to the device. I would be happy to just download the 1 or 2 apps I want on my PC and then just drop them in the nook directory when I have it connected.

Questions are:
1)can I do a "dumbed down" root? Can I just install the e-reader easy root and then just not connect with youtube/gmail?
2) does the e-reader easy root still work on NST with 1.1.2 operating system?
3) is this something a non-programmer type can do?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Last edited by T_MB; 04-13-2012 at 04:19 PM.
T_MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MB View Post
I just bought my Nook Touch and am not happy with the limited functionality. I have been reading a lot about rooting the device and I have some questions I cannot find answers for.

I am not really interested in web-browsing, checking e-mail, or running games. The only reason I would root the device is to get access to a decent PDF viewing and something that reads word docs. I don't even necessarily want/need to be able to download apps directly on to the device. I would be happy to just download the 1 or 2 apps I want on my PC and then just drop them in the nook directory when I have it connected.

Questions are:
1)can I do a "dumbed down" root? Can I just install the e-reader easy root and then just not connect with youtube/gmail?
2) does the e-reader easy root still work on NST with 1.1.2 operating system?
3) is this something a non-programmer type can do?

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
I wanted to install Team Battery on my NST. What I did is create a ClockWorkMod SD card and a ZIP install package for the APK plus a Home APK (Go Launcher EX). I booted the NST with the ClockWordMod SD and flashed my ZIP file. Then I restarted the device and I can pick the default launcher or Go Launcher. Using Go Launcher I can browse the apps and manually start Team Battery, so now I see the battery level on the top of the device - very nice.

You can use this method to install any app you want, but you won't have root.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert