Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Mad_Max
Mad_Max began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
"Error" instead of "Reader" in source pane

Hello Everybody,

New here, and I have attempted to search for answers, but have come up empty. I just received a PRS950 and am having trouble somewhere between the software and the hardware. When I initially installed (and after subsequent clean installs), I could plug the reader into USB and it opens the reader library software and I am able to transfer ebooks from the public library without any problems.

However, no matter how i close out Reader Library and/or disconnect the reader, the next time I connect via USB, the reader icon shows up in the left (source?) pane but says "Error" instead of "reader." I can't drag any files to the reader at that point. If the attached screen shot works, perhaps that will help.

I am using an older ibook G4 with osx 10.4, if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	63583  
Mad_Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Mad_Max

I have been on hold with Sony all day. Worthless.
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I had this problem recently. I reformatted my 950 and that fixed it. On your 950 go to Settings > Initialization > Format Memory > Internal Memory. I'm pretty sure I accidentally corrupted some of the cache files on my 950. A reformat was an easy way to fix it. However, you might lose some of your bookmarks and annotations. It will delete all the books but keep your Wi-fi info and account authorization and other settings you have made. Then you'll have to reload your books. Fixed the error message for me.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Mad_Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I had this problem recently. I reformatted my 950 and that fixed it. On your 950 go to Settings > Initialization > Format Memory > Internal Memory. I'm pretty sure I accidentally corrupted some of the cache files on my 950. A reformat was an easy way to fix it. However, you might lose some of your bookmarks and annotations. It will delete all the books but keep your Wi-fi info and account authorization and other settings you have made. Then you'll have to reload your books. Fixed the error message for me.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work, as it still shows up as "Error" just like in the image above.

The only solution I have come up with is deleting reader library and re-installing. This is time consuming and annoying if I have to do this every time I check out a book from the library. Oh well, thanks again for your help.

Anybody else have some ideas?
Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did reinstall the Reader Library as well. That's because after I got the Error message the program decided to lock-up on me the next time I restarted my Mac.... I have seen some similar posts regarding the 650 where people have deleted various XML files in case they've been corrupted and it helped their issues. However, the reformat should have done that step for you.
Advert
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

One more comment. You shouldn't have to do this every time. I borrow library books very frequently. In my case I'm sure it was user error as I had both calibre and Reader Library accidentally open at the same time which I'm sure caused a conflict and corrupted files on my 950. Otherwise I have never had this issue before.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Mad_Max

So now the re-install doesn't work. I can't get any of my library ebooks on there now.

I hope I can get a hold of the receipt, reading books does not need to be this difficult.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, I guess we were having different problems.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Reinstall is not so simple on Mac OS X. You need to do some extra steps which are not intuitive at all. First you need to go to <user>Library/Preferences and delete the folders fsk, Marlin and Sony Corporation. Then go to System Preferences > International > Language and select US Computer instead of US. Not sure why but Sony tech recommended it. Then delete Reader Library app. Then you can reinstall. When you relaunch it will be a clean install. You'll have to do File > Import to reload your books from wherever you have your book files backed up.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Mad_Max

I think I am just going to have to try and exchange it and see if it is just a faulty reader. If not, well, I guess my foray into e-readers will be short lived.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Probably doesn't apply, but whenever I finish tranferring to my SD card and/or Reader, I ALWAYS go to an innoculous program, make a simple change, like add a space or delete a space, then SAVE, which clears out the buffer.

Before I did that I corrupted a few cards that left files open. Since I've done this I haven't had any problems with files left "open".

Good luck,
AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Mad_Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Probably doesn't apply, but whenever I finish tranferring to my SD card and/or Reader, I ALWAYS go to an innoculous program, make a simple change, like add a space or delete a space, then SAVE, which clears out the buffer.

Before I did that I corrupted a few cards that left files open. Since I've done this I haven't had any problems with files left "open".

Good luck,
AJ
You reminded me of an interesting point I had not mentioned. When I inserted an SD card into the reader, i had no problems transferring epub books to the card using the reader library software. However, when I attempted to open the book in the reader, the "protected by digital rights management" screen comes up. This happens even though the icon on the reader shows the little 21 day countdown below the book icon. I thought that this countdown would mean that the DRM is working, and I should be able to open it. No such luck.

Also, before disconnecting the reader, I have tried hitting the eject button in reader library as well as using the eject buttons in the OSX finder. Neither solve the problem; and the "Error" shows up the next time the reader is connected.

When you say you change something in another program, do you mean in Word or something, or another reader program? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Protected by Digital Rights does mean that the DRM is working. But an error like that suggests maybe that the ereader is not authorized for Adobe Digital Editions. Did you sign up for an Adobe ID when you setup your ereader?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #13
Mad_Max

Quote:
Protected by Digital Rights does mean that the DRM is working. But an error like that suggests maybe that the ereader is not authorized for Adobe Digital Editions. Did you sign up for an Adobe ID when you setup your ereader?
What I meant is that I assumed that the DRM was working because the countdown clock shows up below the book icon.

I have a valid adobe ID and it is associated with the reader library software and reader. The books that I did transfer, after doing the clean install, work fine. I can open the books and read them just fine, and they have the countdown clock as well.

If I bypass the reader library software and just drag and drop a protected epub book from the folder on my computer to the reader's media folder (as i can for an unprotected book from, e.g., project gutenberg) the countdown clock does not appear and the book also opens to the "protected by DRM" screen. Transferring using the reader library software to the SD card in the reader moves the files to the reader, activates the countdown clock, but does not allow me to open them (shows the DRM screen). Very frustrating.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I see now. I always transfer library books through the Sony software. As you say it activates the expiration clock. If I drag and drop the library books through Mac Finder then I get the same protected page error. I do not get the same error message for non-library DRM'ed books or non-DRM'ed books. It seems to be specific to library books, and I am guessing that is because of the expiration info. I always transfer library books to the internal memory rather than an SD card. Have you tried the internal memory to see if that works? When you say you could read them ok does that mean on your computer in the Reader Library software or also on your 950?
Old 12-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #15
Mad_Max

Quote:
I always transfer library books to the internal memory rather than an SD card. Have you tried the internal memory to see if that works? When you say you could read them ok does that mean on your computer in the Reader Library software or also on your 950?
See, the problem is I cannot transfer to the internal memory, because, as in my OP, the reader shows up as "Error" rather than "Reader." When I do the clean install of reader library and the first time I connect the reader, I can transfer the books to the internal memory, no problems. Any subsequent connection results in the "Error" in the source list, like in the picture, and it will not allow me to drag anything into the reader. However, if I insert the SD card, it shows up as another icon, and I can drag the library epubs into it. But, as I mentioned, despite showing the countdown, I cannot read them on the reader.

Also, to your last point, I have no problem opening and reading books using reader library (or Adobe DE, for that matter). Even when the reader is showing as "Error," I can still open and read and download protected epub books to my computer. I just cannot get them to transfer to or open in the reader (except for the very first time using reader library after the clean install).