Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Bierius
Enthusiast
Bierius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 / Sony PRS-505&500 / ipod touch 2nd gen
Question BD Question

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong? I’ve installed BD and the latest update, and I’m running winXP.

Whenever I try and make an ebook, the BD output file for the Sony gives me 1.5 pages of continuous text and then a new page. It does this over and over. Also, sometimes I have the chapter heading repeated on the last part of the page that is half full. It seems there is some king of page break there that I can’t see!

I think it has something to do with footnotes etc but I can’t figure out how to solve the problem. I’ve used Harry’s guide but something’s going wrong for me.

Any ideas?
Bierius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll get a page break whenever there's text with the "Title" style. Try using BD's "Element Browser" tool and search for "Titles" to see what's there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Bierius
Enthusiast

Hi Harry,

I still have the problem even if I remove all 'title' and 'subtitle' formatting.

I've inlcuded a very small 3 page example of what my output looks like. I hope it's enough

Thanks for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: lrf midnight of the last day.lrf (5.5 KB, 425 views)
Old 04-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
One thing you can do is click the button for showing page breaks labeled insert all page breaks. That will show you your page breaks and then you can see them and fix them. Can you also attach the BD source file so we can see what might be the matter? Also in the settings, make sure you have insert page breaks checked so you can see how the page breaks are coming out when you load in the original file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
Aybara
Aybara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have a different problem with BD. I click on the link to make a Sony Reader book and it does nothing.

No popups or anything.
Aybara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
Bierius
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
One thing you can do is click the button for showing page breaks labeled insert all page breaks. That will show you your page breaks and then you can see them and fix them. Can you also attach the BD source file so we can see what might be the matter? Also in the settings, make sure you have insert page breaks checked so you can see how the page breaks are coming out when you load in the original file.

Hmm, when I click on insert all page breaks nothing shows up in the text (unlike when you add one as shown in Harry’s guide).

Is the ‘insert page breaks’ option located in the ‘make book’ section? If so, then I appear to have it checked. I’ve also tried making a book with all the options unchecked with the same result.

Please find attached the file I open in BD and its corresponding output file.

'I don't think the actual BD source file extension (.html0) permitted as an upload on this page.'

This program really looks amazing and I can’t wait to get it working!!

Last edited by Bierius; 04-30-2007 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:03 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierius
'I don't think the actual BD source file extension (.html0) permitted as an upload on this page.'
Put it in a ZIP file and upload that.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:51 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm wondering if you have the same problem I had. Check the "Options" section in "Make Sony Ebook" to see if you have a screen with ALL the options. You should see a main (blue) word called "SKIP." If you don't have this as a choice, then you have what may be an older version.

What happened on page breaks with me: I saw the line and it looked like a page break would happen, but when I created a BD file, no page break occured.

BD creator vvv and Harry (and others) helped me solve this problem by entirely deleting BD and then reloading the main version along with the udate.

BEFORE you delete BD - if that becomes your decision - please get MORE INFORMATION from the members with more knowledge than I have.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-30-2007 at 04:54 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:05 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aybara
I have a different problem with BD. I click on the link to make a Sony Reader book and it does nothing.

No popups or anything.
It sounds like you didn't install BD properly. What it sounds like is you just downloaded the updated and made the directory and put all the files there. That won't work. You need to download the BD 4 installer and then take the latest version and overwrite the installed files with the update. That's the only way BD will work properly.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:10 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You need to:

1. Download the full BD 4 installation program.

2. Run this and select "Remove Installation". This will get rid of whatever's there at the moment.

3. Re-run the installer and install BD 4.

4. Download the latest BD 5 update (a ZIP file) and unzip it into the BD 4 installation folder, overwriting all the files with the same name.

That will give you an up-to-date, hopefully fully-functional, BD installation.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
Bierius
Enthusiast

I've just done a complete reinstall and I’m still experiencing the same issues. I downloaded BD 4 and the update from this forum.

Could it be an old version? I’ve looked on the BD website and can’t find a link to downloaded BD 5.

Oh and for the record I did unpack the update .zip into the current BD 4 folder and was presented with the prompt about replacing files just as in Harry’s above steps.

I’ll also include the BD source file as a .zip

Thanks for all the help so far

ps these are the names of the BD install and update .zip files I downloaded from this forum:

BookDesigner40.zip
Bd_Update_2006_09_13.zip
Attached Files
File Type: zip Born in poverty at Boston.zip (6.7 KB, 384 views)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, the "2006_09_13" update isn't the right one. You want the "2007_04_12" one (or somewhere around there). The older one doesn't properly support the Reader - that's probably what's wrong.

If you look in the "Book Designer Update" thread you'll find a link to it there.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #13
Bierius
Enthusiast

ok it's clear I don't have the most recent files installed

I've just gone through the 'BookDesigner Update' post and I'm confused!

are these the most recent files?

'BookDesigner40.zip'

with the

'Bd_Update_2007_01_29.zip' update?

What is this 'BookDesignerExe.zip' ?

Really sorry about all the dumb questions
Old 04-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The files you want are "BookDesigner40.zip" - that's the BD 4 installer - and "BookDesignerExe.zip" - that's the most recent update. To check, look inside "BookDesignerExe" - the date on "BookDesigner.exe" should be 12th Apr 2007.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #15
Bierius
Enthusiast

Bingo! got them now thank you very much!

I wonder if there should be an easy place for people to find all the newest updates? Unless it exists already?