Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-25-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
larko
larko began at the beginning.

Device: None
Looking for a e-reader that can be used remotely.

Hi,

I have been trying to select an e-book reader that will enable me to read books remotely without the need for a Wi-Fi signal with the exception or initial setup and registration.
And ideally something that can read as many formats as possible, along with being able to load pdf's of my own and epubs that haven't been bought through kindle or other library's.

It's mostly technical books that can be used as reference aids during work, or a good novel when i'm stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean without WiFi.

And to add a further level of complexity, can larger format e-readers that are used for writing notes, can they be used remotely and for reading books/pdfs also.
Appreciate any help because online i can find any amount of information but not the answers i'm looking for.

Thanks

Larko
larko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by larko View Post
I have been trying to select an e-book reader that will enable me to read books remotely without the need for a Wi-Fi signal with the exception or initial setup and registration.
And ideally something that can read as many formats as possible, along with being able to load pdf's of my own and epubs that haven't been bought through kindle or other library's.

It's mostly technical books that can be used as reference aids during work, or a good novel when i'm stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean without WiFi.
Any reader I know can do that
Quote:

And to add a further level of complexity, can larger format e-readers that are used for writing notes, can they be used remotely and for reading books/pdfs also.
The Note devices from Boox and Likebook - from 7.8 inches and larger
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #3
larko

Thankyou for your reply ottischwenk, i only asked that question as i have been unable to view my own books i have added to early generation kindle. I also have a Amazon Fire Tablet 7, it wont allow me to read books unless I'm connected to Wi-Fi.
But i guess as a Tablet its not a true e-reader?

Thankyou for you recommendations, i will have a look at them.

Is the ReMarkable 2 a bit overkill for reading PDF's?

Again thankyou for your reply.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
If you download the books onto the device, you can use your Kindle also without WiFi. If you just browse through your library on a Kindle app or Kindle ereader, it will show you the books you have bought. There should also be the distinction between all the books in your library and those that are already downloaded.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:31 AM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is the ReMarkable 2 a bit overkill for reading PDF's?
I only know the Remarkable 2 from reports, after that it seems to be ideal for taking notes - but as a reading and note-taking and as a general device I would prefer Boox or Likebook.
Whereby Boox is superior in drawing, Likebook in storage handling.
There's a Remarkable Playlist here - a lot from Boox too; but hardly anything from Likebook.
Advert
Old 03-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #6
larko

Smile

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, definitely food for thought and a few different avenues to go down for researching different models.

Will definitely look a few of the models up you have mentioned, and see what best fits my intended use.

Nice to hear from people with hands on experience rather than some advertising video.

What e-book readers are you currently using and how have you found the user experience?

Thanks again
Old 03-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Nice to hear from people with hands on experience rather than some advertising video.
The links I sent you are not promotional videos
Quote:
What e-book readers are you currently using and how have you found the user experience?
I only use Android devices because the applications supplied with the devices do not appeal to me enough and offer too few setting options for my needs (Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, etc.).

The Likebook devices have an SD connection and mine are each equipped with 512 GB SD cards - the others are limited to internal storage (even those that I don't have).

My devices and usage:

10.3 inches:
- Boox Note Air with Bluetooth keyboard as a glare-free computer for outdoor use + drawing (Boox Likebook is superior there), mainly landscape format - frequent connection to workstation (32 GB)
- Likebook Alita Note for pdf display and handwritten notes and comments in eg music notes, scores, etc. - mainly portrait format (32 + 512 GB).

7.8 inches:
- Likebook Ares Note: similar to Alita, also as epub reader, only for use on the move with a vehicle (16 + 512 GB).

8 inch:
- Tolino Epos 2 (195g, unbreakable screen) only for epub reading in bed (8 GB).

6 inches:
- Book Poke 3 (with cover), Boox Poke 2 (without) as an epub reader for traveling, waiting rooms, etc. - without a vehicle (32 GB).
- Likebook P6 for travel by plane (16 + 512 GB).
Old 03-27-2021, 01:45 PM   #8
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
First thing on the checklist should be waterproof if you're going to be reading on a boat.

I have Pocketbooks and Kobos - I think the Pocketbook native reading software handles pdf better than Kobo but thats for novels; for technical documents you may need more. I also think you you'll want a bigger screen for those so I'd suggest you have a look at Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro or Kobo Forma.

These are both waterproof, with 8 inch (or thereabouts) screens. I prefer the shape of the Inkpad but if you're in the UK the Forma is on sale for £149 so that's a big selling point right there!
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #9
larko

Smile

Taking the Sailing aspect into consideration, i might be better with a smaller additional waterproof model just for reading.

That said i can honestly see me getting more use personally and professionally out of the 10.3 models suggested above.

Quote:
The links I sent you are not promotional videos
The links you sent me were very useful and helpful in narrowing down models of interest, I must say wow you have a lot of e-readers, but they all have there purpose which is good

Out of the 2 10.3" models you have suggested, which one have you had the best user experience with?

Just want to say thankyou for your help because its saved me a lot of time trawling through reviews and videos and will enable me to buy one today or tomorrow.

Best Regards

Larko
Old 03-27-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
TThat said i can honestly see me getting more use personally and professionally out of the 10.3 models suggested above.
Out of the 2 10.3" models you have suggested, which one have you had the best user experience with?
I use the Boox Note Air almost exclusively in landscape format as a computer, not as a reading device and also not for comments, etc. in books - every now and then for drawing, because the Boox software can do more in this regard.

For book scrpts notes applications and comments in such files (pdf) almost only the Likebook Alita, often also because there is almost unlimited storage space available - so I have the entire Wikipedia with me in the Kiwix app (for all my Likebook devices).

To read epub, however, 10.3 inches are too big for me, so I prefer 6 or 7.8 (8) inches - but here with 2 columns in landscape format.
I hold these devices closer to my eyes.

If you want everything, then the Likebook Ares - it's too small for me only for music notes and scores, as I need a greater distance for this area.

Liekbook Ares (300 dpi) has the same number of pixels as the 10.3 devices (227 dpi) - with it you can see in the same quality when the device is closer to the eyes.

So I think Likebook Ares could be the best compromise if you want to read books with a flexible format too.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 03-28-2021 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
larko

Smile

From your advice and watching a multitude of review articles the Alita made the most sense to me so have one on order and looking forward to getting to use it.

Can you recommend any apps for getting the most out of it?

I will use it for note taking with customers and suppliers, along with referencing e-pubs, pdfs and maybe Mobi files to aid with creating solutions for work.

Potentially even creating an e-journal at a personal level.

Your help has been genuinely appreciated, thankyou.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Can you recommend any apps for getting the most out of it?
No, because I don't know what you need.
Quote:
I will use it for note taking with customers and suppliers, along with referencing e-pubs, pdfs and maybe Mobi files to aid with creating solutions for work.

Potentially even creating an e-journal at a personal level.
I have to mention that Notes with the pen is not possible in foreign applications - at least I haven't found anything.
For the pen, a switch option is made possible in the keyboard - this input is however converted into text.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I use the Boox Note Air almost exclusively in landscape format as a computer
What set up do you use? Is the Boox simply a screen slaved to your computer? Or do you use installed apps and online services like google docs on the Boox?

I have found the best text editor for me is some app form of vim installed directly on the Boox. That way, I can control everything from the bluetooth keyboard without needing to touch the screen.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
What set up do you use? Is the Boox simply a screen slaved to your computer? Or do you use installed apps and online services like google docs on the Boox?
I use installed applications such as Docs to Go, but hardly any online services.
The keyboard used is Rapoo E6350 - pretty much the same width as Note Air Cover.
The Boox BT Remoter is also very helpful.
I also use this bracket for stability - it also allows a USB cable to be connected.
And what is also important, when I put the pen down as shown in the picture, the Note Air goes into sleep mode - if I take it away, it wakes up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note Air.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	186190  
Old 03-29-2021, 03:10 AM   #15
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I also use this bracket for stability - it also allows a USB cable to be connected.
I apologize for slightly hijacking this thread but this stand looks very useful; can you tell me, please, will it securely hold an 8inch reader in portrait mode?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, notes, remote, wi-fi