Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 11:13 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I look at my old Sony prs 505 and wonder how I ever read on it.
I still use a Sony PRS-505. Outside of the case, a Kobo Clip Light works beautifully with it. (I also have a lighted, OEM PRS-505 case and, though it works pretty well, the thing is REALLY heavy.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_K View Post
The only reason I am considering replacing the Hanlin V5 is because I do not trust the battery, it was dead flat for some time and I have recharged it and use it. It doesn't seem to be worn but li-ions don't always give warning before they explode. I store it safely but I can not carry it with me.. ergo I need a replacement.
Why not just replace the battery (since it's easily accessible) on the V5 instead of considering replacing the device with something that may have a battery that's as old (or nearly as old) as the unit being replaced?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
I think there IS a very definite market for a 5" frontlit eink reader, as opposed to a smart phone app. It...

If there was one available, I'd buy it. ...
i suggest that sentence 2 disproves sentence one. IF there was a market, then there would be one available ???
if there is not, then manufacturers have concluded there is no market that they can serve, profitably.. probably because there's a lack of 5 inch e-ink screens being produced
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i suggest that sentence 2 disproves sentence one. IF there was a market, then there would be one available ???
if there is not, then manufacturers have concluded there is no market that they can serve, profitably.. probably because there's a lack of 5 inch e-ink screens being produced
Agreed. The market for small-screen devices has been filled by phones, just as the market for large-screen devices has been filled by tablets.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Agreed. The market for small-screen devices has been filled by phones, just as the market for large-screen devices has been filled by tablets.
However, when Kobo Minis show up on eBay, they sell quickly and get a sell pretty high. There may not be enough of a market for 5" readers, but there is definitely a real and continuing interest in them. And the Kobo Mini is not a front-lit reader. I'm guessing a front-lit Kobo Mini might do pretty well in the market. When Samsung first started making Galaxy Notes, they were originally only going to sell them in Europe and they expected them be a niche market. As it turned out, they were the beginning of the big screen smartphone market, and almost everyone ended up following them.
Advert
Old 12-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #21
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
I don't know how to put several quotes in the same post. But how does the second sentence contradict the first in the following?

Quote:
I think there IS a very definite market for a 5" frontlit eink reader, as opposed to a smart phone app. It...

If there was one available, I'd buy it. ..
If anything, the second sentence PROVES the first by showing that there is a market for a 5" frontlight eink reader. If I want one, there must be others who feel the same way. Just because it isn't available doesn't mean that it isn't desired.

Companies often wrongly judge the market. I think that may be the case here.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There probably is a niche market. The fundamental issue is that eInk no longer make a 5" screen, and their minimum order requirements (for setting up production lines, etc) probably preclude anyone other than a major manufacturer such as Amazon or Kobo from being able to place such an order with them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #23
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally I think this would be a good direction for Amazon to take the Paperwhite: to produce a 5" version and a new 6" with blue light filtering.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There probably is a niche market. The fundamental issue is that eInk no longer make a 5" screen, and their minimum order requirements (for setting up production lines, etc) probably preclude anyone other than a major manufacturer such as Amazon or Kobo from being able to place such an order with them.
I was thinking about the screens after my last post. I think you're right, that's probably the biggest reason they don't come out with a 5" reader. Just too much of a niche market to justify ramping up for the 5" screens. (After all, eReaders themselves are pretty much a niche market.) I don't even know if there ever was an 5" E-Carta screen. (I don't think there was, but I've been wrong about these things in the past.)

Last edited by rcentros; 12-16-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Personally I think this would be a good direction for Amazon to take the Paperwhite: to produce a 5" version and a new 6" with blue light filtering.
I think Amazon's goal is to simplify their Kindle line — three models is probably the limit now. I'm beginning to wonder if the Kindle Basics will survive long enough to be updated. (If they do, I sure hope they get an E-Carta screen.)
Old 12-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I was thinking about the screens after my last post. I think you're right, that's probably the biggest reason they don't come out with a 5" reader. Just too much of a niche market to justify ramping up for the 5" screens. (After all, eReaders themselves are pretty much a niche market.) I don't even know if there ever was an 5" E-Carta screen. (I don't think there was, but I've been wrong about these things in the past.)
There are some small E Ink screens that are a second screen (dual screen) for a phone for those you want the epaper experience. For example the InkCase Plus, the Popslate, and the Yotaphone 2 as described in our wiki. The InkCase Plus can be used independantly as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #27
BookCat
C L J

Well there seem to be many Kobo users who would like to see the Kobo Mini updated with a frontlight.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #28
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
There are some small E Ink screens that are a second screen (dual screen) for a phone for those you want the epaper experience. For example the InkCase Plus, the Popslate, and the Yotaphone 2 as described in our wiki. The InkCase Plus can be used independantly as well.
Since I'll never own an iPhone, I was trying to figure out how to use the InkCase Plus independently of a phone but haven't found much information on it. I see they sell refurbished (like new) ones for $69. I wonder how you would send books to it on its own?

Quote:
Well there seem to be many Kobo users who would like to see the Kobo Mini updated with a frontlight.
The InkCase kind of undercuts the "it's too expensive to run a small batch of E-Carta screens" argument. Unless they really make a LOT more of these things than I'm guessing. I can't believe that InkCase would be anything more than a niche market.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #29
BookCat
C L J

I don't agree that there would be a tiny market for 5" frontlit readers. On the contrary, I think this market is being underestimated. Reading on a phone is totally different from reading on an easily portable eink reader.

The mostly male contributors have missed an important feature: the cuteness factor. The Kobo Mini I'm giving as a Xmas present (to a male) is very cute. Give it a frontlight, bring back the exchangeable back panels (maybe in pink, or purple, or with a cat on) and it would be a hit.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-17-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Not the same. I've got the Yotaphone 2 and it's not the same than reading in the Mini, the same Android app for reading (that I dislike), not lighted (something I need), so not the same experience.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prs-350