Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Some questions about Tolino

Hi ,
I am interested in buying a Tolino Vision 4 HD since it is one of the only flush with bezel E-readers besides the KO2 KV and KA1.

I would like to ask if it is possible to install apps (.apk) in Tolino , since it is based on Android. The reason why i am asking this is because i want to install Koreader. Nowadays it is nearly impossible to find a new jailbreakable kindle and KO1 is too large to me.

Apart from installing apps, what would be the advantages of using a Tolino compared to kindle and kobo's system?
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
Hi ,
I am interested in buying a Tolino Vision 4 HD since it is one of the only flush with bezel E-readers besides the KO2 KV and KA1.

I would like to ask if it is possible to install apps (.apk) in Tolino , since it is based on Android. The reason why i am asking this is because i want to install Koreader. Nowadays it is nearly impossible to find a new jailbreakable kindle and KO1 is too large to me.

Apart from installing apps, what would be the advantages of using a Tolino compared to kindle and kobo's system?
There are some German language pages about rooting Tolino's ereaders which might help with what you want. Hopefully, you can either read German or are willing to get up close and personal with Google Translate. See Anleitung: Tolino Vision 4 HD Root-Zugriff for some information.

Please note that while I check out this type of information to satisfy my curiosity, I haven't rooted my Tolino epos so I have no hands on experience.

As for the advantages of using a Tolino? Comparing my epos to my KA1, support for landscape mode and the Tolino cloud are about the only ones that comes to mind. Format support, font support, calibre support, epub3/fixed layout epub3, being able to use book covers as the screen saver and the overall openness all favour the Kobo. The latest firmware for the epos has removed most of the nullpointer exception crashes that I noticed in 11.2.2 but I still get crashed back to the home page on occasion. Neither ereader is happy with the occasional epub that uses a single massive text file instead of splitting into section files.

Overall, I have been spoiled by the openness of the Kobo firmware where jailbreaking or rooting are foreign terms.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
cmoim
Enthusiast
cmoim began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage , Kindle Oasis 2 , Kobo Aura Edition 2
Ah ok thank you
My main reason for wanting to buy it is so i can use Koreader especially that it has a flush with bezel screen.
I am looking at other android devices with a 6" screen.
cmoim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoim View Post
I like the ability to directly borrow ePub books from my library (Overdrive) using my Tolino Page. For me the interface has been clean and simple and responsive, and I've been able to add a Latin dictionary for translating (something I've wanted to do on the Kindles for awhile). Some of its features (like adding custom fonts) is buggy. I finally managed to get all of Constantia to install (after the 11.2.3 update) but Deja Serif still won't install its regular font (bold, italic and bold italic install fine, but pretty much useless without the main font). I've never tried rooting, but I know KoReader is (or was) supported on the Tolinos. (Seems like there was some issue on the new firmware with the refresh mode or something, that had to be worked around – or maybe I'm thinking of a different device. Since I don't read PDFs I've never had much interest in KoReader.)

(Sorry to ramble. I like my Tolino Page, but I just use it as it came "out of box.")
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One thing I found was that borrowing a book via the Tolino prevented me from downloading to ADE 2.x on Windows. Maybe had initially borrowed on Windows and then Tolino I might have been ok.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
One thing I found was that borrowing a book via the Tolino prevented me from downloading to ADE 2.x on Windows. Maybe had initially borrowed on Windows and then Tolino I might have been ok.
I think I ran into something like this when I borrowed a book via a Sony T2 and then tried to download it to my Windows partition on my laptop. (Or maybe it was when I was trying to return the book early, I'm not sure now.) I don't use Wine on my Linux laptop and hardly ever boot into the Windows partition of my laptop, which is why I like the ability to download ePubs directly to the Tolino — even though it's a pain to work through the Overdrive process on the Tolino's s-l-o-w web browser.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader