Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2017, 06:29 PM   #1
Jessica_June
Jessica_June began at the beginning.

Device: none
Synchronising my local library with a Calibre content server

I've spent a productive weekend setting up a Calibre content server onto a Raspberry Pi and I plan on using this to serve my library from an external HDD attached to it.

My primary library is stored on my Windows PCs local HDD and I was wondering how I could transfer my updated library to the USB HDD on the content server.

Would this involve me disconnecting the HDD, plugging it in to my main computer, exporting the library to the device and then reconnecting it to the content server?
Jessica_June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That would be simplest.
A network copy, requires you stop the CS, do the copy, then restart the CS
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sneaker netting the HDD is fine, but usb connections are relatively fragile and don't take kindly to being disconnected and reconnected too frequently, more especially mini-usb connectors.

So for a longer term solution you might want to investigate periodic synchronisation across your local network. Perhaps using something like Bitorrent Synch, which is free for personal use, it's available for Windows, OSX, and Linux on Intel and ARM, so it would be OK for your Raspberry Pi. If you were to run it daily, I anticipate it would run for a couple of minutes as it only copies changes (adds, removes and updates).

But you should still close calibre at both ends while it was syncing.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-01-2017 at 08:34 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Jessica_June
Jessica_June began at the beginning.

Thank you both for your feedback and ideas, you've certainly got me thinking of the best way to proceed.

I guess my next question is that I only want to export a subset of my library to the server, would i need to create a separate library on my computer and transfer that to the content server?
Jessica_June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_June View Post
Thank you both for your feedback and ideas, you've certainly got me thinking of the best way to proceed.

I guess my next question is that I only want to export a subset of my library to the server, would i need to create a separate library on my computer and transfer that to the content server?
If you attach the drive, it is really simple:

Make selecctions (via any calibre method): (right-click) Copy to Library

Eject
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
maddhin
maddhin began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I actually use a simple sync folder which automatically syncs the Win10 library to the Pi. You just point the content server to that sync folder.

I'm using Resilio but I'm sure there are other sync tools for this. But Resilio worked very well for me for years and relatively easy to install.

With this setup you simply add a book on Win10 and like magic it is on the content server...

EDIT: BetterRed already mentioned this method (Bittorrent Sync = Resilio)

Last edited by maddhin; 07-23-2017 at 09:34 AM.
maddhin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
content server, raspberry pi